LimeTech Motherboard

Recently Tom reported the motherboard he will be using on new servers.

It is the MBD-X10SL7-F

Read about it on Newegg HERE

With 14 SATA ports, dual gigibut LAN, x4 and x8 PCIe slots, IPMI, and ECC memory, it looks like a winner at $250. And trust me when I say it is a good idea to use the same motherboard LimeTech uses for their own servers! You should not have compatibility issues with 6.0!

I wish it had 1 more PCIe port - just an x1, for my Areca RAID card. Then I could play with passing through a controller on the x4 for a test array. But hey, with 22 ports (14 internal and 8 from my M1015) and using the x4 for the RAID card, and with LimeTech's apparent endorsement, I am very seriously considering this one.

I'm ready to push the purchase button. Only part I'm concerned with is CPU.

V2 or V3 CPU for ESX Pass through?

I remember earlier boards (bios or CPU) had issues with the V3 CPU. Is this still the case?

While XEN may be available, I need to use ESX since that's what I use for work.

without having to read the entire thread

from the specs you can only have 6 sata drives and in order to use all fourteen i need to purchase sas drives?

SAS port can be connected to SATA drives.  But you cannot connect SAS drives to SATA ports.

Indeed I have all of my SATA drives connected to the LSI 2308 SAS controller.

Weebotech, I can't comment on pass through as it's not something I do. I can say that the bios has setting for VTx and VTd. I do run a Xen VM but don't pass anything to it.

There is a lengthy thread here where BillyJ was having trouble with WD Red drives  and the X10SL7:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27800.msg272699#msg272699

To quote:

The distributor in Australia has just called and indicated that the RED drives are not support on this LSI controller.

Supermicro said LSI may fix it with a new firmware in the future but in the short term is looks like i'm having a fire sale on some red HDD's

Has anyone else had a similar issue with the Reds and the X10SL7? 

without having to read the entire thread

from the specs you can only have 6 sata drives and in order to use all fourteen i need to purchase sas drives?

SAS port can be connected to SATA drives.  But you cannot connect SAS drives to SATA ports.

good deal cause i just got one for free

Recently Tom reported the motherboard he will be using on new servers.

It is the MBD-X10SL7-F

Read about it on Newegg HERE

With 14 SATA ports, dual gigibut LAN, x4 and x8 PCIe slots, IPMI, and ECC memory, it looks like a winner at $250. And trust me when I say it is a good idea to use the same motherboard LimeTech uses for their own servers! You should not have compatibility issues with 6.0!

I wish it had 1 more PCIe port - just an x1, for my Areca RAID card. Then I could play with passing through a controller on the x4 for a test array. But hey, with 22 ports (14 internal and 8 from my M1015) and using the x4 for the RAID card, and with LimeTech's apparent endorsement, I am very seriously considering this one.

We, Greenleaf, are considering moving to this board (or possibly the MBD-X10SLL+-F-O).  The idea of 14 SATA on board is great for tower cases but for rackmount the only thing it does is complicate cabling.

I still wish they made an update X9SCM-iiF.  It is nearly the perfect board save for not accepting the newest v3 processors.

We will probably be sticking with the X9SCM-iiF for a little while longer but moving forward we will be switching to one of the above, or maybe a combination of both.

• 2 weeks later...