BTsync

lonix

Hey i have a working Btsync that works quite nice out of the box.

You can Pull it with:

docker pull lonix/docker-btsync

Mappings and Ports:

Typepath/porttext

Port8888WebUI

Map/btsyncDatafolder to sync

Port55555Bittorrent traffic

All my dockers are trusted builds, i never use non-trusted images and nor should you

lonix does take request for containers.

Because BTSync source is closed and I'd prefer to use open source software. But in the meantime I would want something that could be used as a stopgap until Syncthing gets a mobile app. If you were using BTSync to sync your Syncthing folders then you could use the BTSync app on mobile and Syncthing everywhere else and once Syncthing gets a mobile app you could just stop using BTSync altogether.

What do you mean by selective syncing? Seems like BTSync already does that at least in the way I'm thinking.

Can BTSYNC and Syncthing work together? Are they the same protocol?

Selective syncing is to choose a single sync folder and each client can choose which subfolder/files to sync to it.

Otherwise you need to create a sync folder for each subfolder.

Sorry did not want to fork the thread just throw an option in for people who dont trust an American company with closed source code with their data.

Alternatives might not be ready for prime time yet but the people in this thread are probably the best ones to judge that.

FYI i can see reference in the syncthuing code to android and even solaris support so certainly they have lofty goals.

As far as them working together I'm not totally sure, I've only ever used BTSync. On a side note, it's not about trust but it's rather a matter of preference to something that is open. But back to working together, you could just set BTSync up to sync whatever folders you want in Syncthing I'd imagine. Or the other way around. On my mac when I was playing around with Owncloud and also Google Drive I set the Google Drive folder to be inside the Owncloud sync folder and everything in my Google Drive synched to my Owncloud. I'd assume you could do sort of the same thing.

• 1 month later...

I see that the name of this docker container has changed to lonix/btsync.

I tried setting this up through the docker configuration page plugin, and this is the output it generated.

/usr/bin/docker run -d --name="BTSync" --net="bridge" -p 8888:8888/tcp -p 55555:55555/tcp -v "/mnt/user/BTSync/":"/btsync":rw -v "/etc/localtime":"/etc/localtime":ro lonix/btsync

Yet the container refuses to start, throwing the following error:  "Storage path specified in config file does not exist."

What am I missing?

Question :

Can this docker running on 2 Unraid server on a LAN can take care of Backing-up the Master Unraid server to the Lower-powerful Server to have a local backup ? 

Or should I use crashplan for that ?  I already have crashplan running since 2-3 days (but will take 8 months to complete 1st backup), I think with crashplan we can backup to a local server too ?

Question :

Can this docker running on 2 Unraid server on a LAN can take care of Backing-up the Master Unraid server to the Lower-powerful Server to have a local backup ? 

Or should I use crashplan for that ?  I already have crashplan running since 2-3 days (but will take 8 months to complete 1st backup), I think with crashplan we can backup to a local server too ?

Short answer is yes.  You can do this in MANY creative ways, but the two you've lined out seems to be utilizing something like BT Sync for a "replication" solution to replace a "backup" solution.  There is a difference.

If you use BT Sync, you are in essence "replicating" everything from server A to server B.  Any changes on A will be sent to B, and the previous versions of the files stored on B will be destroyed as they are overwritten with changes.  BT Sync isn't going to be the "smartest" replicator technology either.  It's really not designed for this (it's designed for file synchronization between users and devices, not NAS data replication).  That said, could it "work"?  Sure it could work, but it's not a replacement for a backup.

Backups through Docker containers like Crashplan offer a multitude of benefits over that of BT sync.  And you can definitely do a local Crashplan back from server to server as well.  That shouldn't be a problem at all.

What it really comes down to is what you want to accomplish, how much effort you're willing to put into it, and whether you're looking for the recommended solution from the pros, or the ideal "simple to setup and get going" solution for yourself.

Question :

Short answer is yes.  You can do this in MANY creative ways, but the two you've lined out seems to be utilizing something like BT Sync for a "replication" solution to replace a "backup" solution.  There is a difference.

If you use BT Sync, you are in essence "replicating" everything from server A to server B.  Any changes on A will be sent to B, and the previous versions of the files stored on B will be destroyed as they are overwritten with changes.  BT Sync isn't going to be the "smartest" replicator technology either.  It's really not designed for this (it's designed for file synchronization between users and devices, not NAS data replication).  That said, could it "work"?  Sure it could work, but it's not a replacement for a backup.

Backups through Docker containers like Crashplan offer a multitude of benefits over that of BT sync.  And you can definitely do a local Crashplan back from server to server as well.  That shouldn't be a problem at all.

What it really comes down to is what you want to accomplish, how much effort you're willing to put into it, and whether you're looking for the recommended solution from the pros, or the ideal "simple to setup and get going" solution for yourself.

Before coming to Unraid, I had a QNAP NAS (5 disks) with a external eSATA MediaSonic ProRAID box.  I had a backup scheduled (1 time/week) configured in the QNAP backup tool.  It worked pretty well.

I want to have offsite backup + local backup.  Currently, i started the Offsite with Crashplan Docker. 

My issue now is that i need to build a 2nd Server.  The first one almost cost me 2500$ already!  I want the new one to cost a LOT less.  I would buy maybe 2 or 3 x 4TB to be able to backup my current data (10.1TB used / 30TB total space). 

Any recommendation on a cheap case that can hold 6 x 3.5in drives?

Archived