Converting to unRAID, need hardware feedback

METDeath

So I have an existing Win 7 "file server" that I'm converting to unRAID, here's the simple hardware breakdown that is going to be my unRAID box. The items in the list below that are in bold are new purchase, everything else is existing hardware. I may start with the currently stable as a stand alone, then convert to 6 when it's stable, then play with the VM stuff.

My intended final build is as follows:

Lian-Li PC-A71F

Asus M4890GTDPRO/USB3

AMD Athalon II x2 215 -OR- AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (VM usage, dual core for unRAID, dual core for XBMC in VM, and dual core for possible second XBMC VM; both XBMC VMs would get a dedicated 5450 for GPUs, the GPUs would be new purchases since the Nvidia GPU I have laying around probably wouldn't work well)

OCZ Z Series 1000W Modular 80PLUS PSU (I had problems with a 750w PSU in this machine with 14 drives... so I went over kill and made sure to get a single 12V rail this time.)

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Rocket Raid 2300 (INT3, etc off, quick boot firmware so no post screen)

Lian Li 4 in 3 drive cage

Kingston Technology Value RAM 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 PC3 12800 ECC CL11 DIMM SR x 8 with TS Desktop Memory KVR16E11S8/4 (this would be a purchase, two sticks if doing VMs)

EverCool 3 in 2 drive cage

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8 GB for my USB drive for unRAID

Hard Drives:

Parity & Cache (warm spare) drives will be 3 TB

Eight 3 TB drives (two will be new purchase, I already have a total of 8, two of which are not in service yet)

Five 2 TB drives

Two 1 TB drives

This configuration will leave me with one SATA connector unused, but I'd have to convert my 4 in 3 to a 5 in 3, however, I'm not really interested in spending the coin on that and doing this a "budget" since I'll have to buy the Pro License.

So, if anyone sees any problems with any of this hardware, I haven't found too many issues concerning Rocket Raid 23xx cards on here, and it seems like a fair amount use AMD CPUs... I'm just opting for the ECC since this will become a true dedicated file server.

I will short term not be buying the extra two 3 TB HDDs and the 3 in 2 cage as I have a HDD adapter bracket that will make a 3.5 drive fit into a 5.25 bay laying around from when I was using a mid tower as a file server and converted two or three spare 5.25 bays to HDDs before I got my Lian Li case that I have now.

I will of course be sharing pictures of my completed build when it's all done up... yet again.

My primary use for this is machine media storage for XBMC... which I always seem to be running out of, and failing to put content onto BD-Rs because I'm all "I want to watch some of that again soon".

Archived