/dev/sda1 flash drive error on restart (Solved)

Can someone offer some advise please. I have run disk utility repair permissions with my mac on my SD card in my Kingston Mobilite G2 and Im still getting this error on a restart.

The only plugins Im using are Dynamix. APC UPS and Dynamix System Monitor and I always shutdown with the WebGUI.

unRAID.png.1e617f7b6ec7a6ed7fdb4ea26be2d0ba.png

Give this a try.  If it doesn't work then it might be time for a new flash/sd card.  (The sd card is not locked into read-only is it?)

[*]Stop the array.

[*]unmount the flash drive.  (umount /dev/sdX1)

[*]run fsck on the flash drive.  (dosfsck -av /dev/sdX1)  -a will automatically repair the file system and -v will be verbose.

[*]reboot.

Thanks I have checked and the lock switch on the Micro SD card adapter is in the off position and I have run your commands and rebooted. Unfortunately I still get this error. Although it doesn't seem to affect anything Im concerned it may cause me future problems. Could it be caused by any of my 3 plugins? is it worth rebooting with no plugins installed?

Thanks

Thanks I have checked and the lock switch on the Micro SD card adapter is in the off position and I have run your commands and rebooted. Unfortunately I still get this error. Although it doesn't seem to affect anything Im concerned it may cause me future problems. Could it be caused by any of my 3 plugins? is it worth rebooting with no plugins installed?

Thanks

It could be a plugin.  There have been users that have mentioned dynamix conflicted with something else and caused issues.  Would it cause your issue, I'm not sure.  You can try running without dynamix and see if you still get that error message.  If you still get it then it is either the sd card or the card reader that is going bad.

I've been finding this error in many many syslogs, including my own, too many syslogs for it to be real.  My own flash drives are tested carefully, and removed correctly from systems, so unofficially I'm going to call this a spurious error and notify Tom.  I suppose I should check Google first, in case there's a known bug ...  If this error message was real, there would be other typical errors showing up (eg. "bread errors"), and there almost never are.

I've been finding this error in many many syslogs, including my own, too many syslogs for it to be real.  My own flash drives are tested carefully, and removed correctly from systems, so unofficially I'm going to call this a spurious error and notify Tom.  I suppose I should check Google first, in case there's a known bug ...  If this error message was real, there would be other typical errors showing up (eg. "bread errors"), and there almost never are.

I agree. I only mention it when I see it in syslogs if the user is having some other actual problem.

The error can be fixed for one cycle by running chkdsk from a windows machine. The error is real and based on what I see is that when the server is shutdown cleanly the log file is closed but the system shutdowns to quickly and the clean bit is never written. fat32 is picky about that bit. so about 50% of the time it does not get written correctly and I thinks it went down uncleanly. I tested with no plugins in version 4.7 5.05 and 6 beta 6 all versions do this mainly because we use fat32 as the flash drive format.

Hope this helps.

Thornwood

• 3 weeks later...

The error can be fixed for one cycle by running chkdsk from a windows machine. The error is real and based on what I see is that when the server is shutdown cleanly the log file is closed but the system shutdowns to quickly and the clean bit is never written. fat32 is picky about that bit. so about 50% of the time it does not get written correctly and I thinks it went down uncleanly. I tested with no plugins in version 4.7 5.05 and 6 beta 6 all versions do this mainly because we use fat32 as the flash drive format.

Hope this helps.

Thornwood

Nice work!  I think you've identified the issue.  I've commented on this in the Powerdown thread here.  I suspect that this problem *may* be isolated to those of us using Powerdown, because Powerdown saves the syslog to the flash drive then immediately shuts the computer off, possibly before the last writes are complete?

RobJ I use powerdown 2.06 as part of Dynamix WebGui but I still get this error when shutting down or rebooting from the WebGui and thought powerdown was only used if the UPS wants to shutdown the server or if you manually enter powerdown or powerdown -r from the command line. If this is the case how is using the reboot or shutdown button in the WebGui going to cause this problem. If it is then maybe WeeboTech can take a look at the powerdown script he wrote and see if this may be causing the issue.

RobJ I use powerdown 2.06 as part of Dynamix WebGui but I still get this error when shutting down or rebooting from the WebGui and thought powerdown was only used if the UPS wants to shutdown the server or if you manually enter powerdown or powerdown -r from the command line. If this is the case how is using the reboot or shutdown button in the WebGui going to cause this problem. If it is then maybe WeeboTech can take a look at the powerdown script he wrote and see if this may be causing the issue.

I'm not a Linux expert, or completely knowledgeable about how Powerdown works, but I *think* it hooks the shutdown process, and is always called (by rc.unRAID), if it's installed.  But I could be wrong.

I earlier suggested adding a pause after the last save to flash disk, but perhaps it's better to add a sync there.

dlandon has taken over much of the newer development with powerdown.

See this thread.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31735.msg322548#msg322548

I'm sure an extra sync and pause can be put in there.

I think we have confirmed that it is related to powerdown that is installed with Dynamix and APCUPS. It's not used in the stock version of unRAID.

I'm not comfortable calling it confirmed yet, but it does seem the most likely explanation.  We could use more reports and tests.

From my experience and others it doesn't seem to affect stock unraid that's why I said I think we have confirmed. I'm not really sure how to run your mod. If you could make it easier for a non Linux user like me I will try it, powerdown was installed with Dynamix on my system. Thanks for taking the time to look into this though RobJ.

Sorry I have tried it and its not working for me RobJ. Here is a Screenshot after check the go file again and the script name. I have also included my syslog.

Sorry, my instructions were not sufficient.  I've added a note about running Check Disk on the flash drive, and the need for a second boot to make sure it has used the revised Powerdown.  Revised mod post is here, and my response to your post is here.

Have you tried rebooting using the stock WebGUI? Until the flash issue is resolved boot in SAFE-mode and use the stock interface. Try using Disk Utility again and do not forget to properly Eject the flash drive before removal from the Mac. If Disk Utility doesn't fix the issue then find a PC and run check disk. Properly eject the flash from the PC.