autostart VM on boot

I created two scripts for stopping and starting libvirt with the array.  They can be placed in /boot/config/plugins/ powerdown/rc.unRAID.d if you have powerdown or apcupsd plugins installed or directly in /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID.d

K00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash
# Stop libvirt and all domains
/etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt stop

S00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash
# Start or Restart libvirt and all domains set to autostart
# It will move original libvirt files for you to new location if new location doesn't exist.
# If you change location it will change symlink but you'll have to move the folder there yourself.
# Change LVDIR=/etc/libvirt for basic startup and no persistant storage. Requires reboot if previously symlinked.
# Change LVDIR=/your/own/path ie /mnt/cache/.libvirt and domains definitions and autostarts will survive reboot.
# Make sure your path is cache only or hidden if on the cache drive.
# From the command line you can use "virsh define your-vm.xml" to define VM's and  "virsh autostart your-vm.xml" to set autostart for VM.

LVDIR=/mnt/cache/.libvirt

if [ -f /var/run/libvirt/libvirtd.pid ];then
fi

if [ $LVDIR != "/etc/libvirt" ];then
    if [ ! -L /etc/libvirt ];then
        if [ ! -e $LVDIR ];then
            mv /etc/libvirt $LVDIR
        else
            rm -r /etc/libvirt
        fi     			
    fi     
    ln -sfT $LVDIR /etc/libvirt
fi
/etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt start

EDIT: I changed my scripts a bit and symlinked the /etc/libvirt to my domain drive (could use cache drive if you wanted).  After its started you can use virsh define your-domain-name.xml or just place your-domain-name.xml in your new .../libvirt/qemu location and virsh autostart your-domain-name  virsh autostart won't work if you make the location the flash drive since virsh autostart creates a folder /libvirt/qemu/autostart and then symlinks domain from /libvirt/qemu.  You can't make symlinks on fat32 file system. But you could probably just have a copy in both locations and it would work.

I did this because I needed to edit some conf files in libvirt for remote domain management. If you uncomment "#listen_tcp = 1" in libvirtd.conf you can use tcp locally from another computer to manage your domains.  Right now I'm using virt-manager on my laptop and webvirtmgr installed on unraid.  Plus its useful for changing conf files for video card pass-through.

EDIT2 updated script

I created two scripts for stopping and starting libvirt with the array.  They can be placed in /boot/config/plugins/ powerdown/rc.unRAID.d if you have powerdown or apcupsd plugins installed or directly in /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID.d

K00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash

S00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash
# It will move original libvirt files for you to new location if new location doesn't exist.
# If you change location it will change symlink but you'll have to move the folder there yourself.
# Change LVDIR=/etc/libvirt for basic startup and no persistant storage. Requires reboot if previously symlinked.
# Change LVDIR=/your/own/path ie /mnt/cache/.libvirt and domains definitions and autostarts will survive reboot.
# From the command line you can use "virsh define your-vm.xml" to define VM's and  "virsh autostart your-vm.xml" to set autostart for VM.

fi

if [ ! -e $LVDIR ];then
            mv /etc/libvirt $LVDIR
        else
            rm -r /etc/libvirt
        fi     			
    fi     
fi

EDIT: I changed my scripts a bit and symlinked the /etc/libvirt to my domain drive (could use cache drive if you wanted).  After its started you can use virsh define your-domain-name.xml or just place your-domain-name.xml in your new .../libvirt/qemu location and virsh autostart your-domain-name  virsh autostart won't work if you make the location the flash drive since virsh autostart creates a folder /libvirt/qemu/autostart and then symlinks domain from /libvirt/qemu.  You can't make symlinks on fat32 file system. But you could probably just have a copy in both locations and it would work.

I did this because I needed to edit some conf files in libvirt for remote domain management. If you uncomment "#listen_tcp = 1" in libvirtd.conf you can use tcp locally from another computer to manage your domains.  Right now I'm using virt-manager on my laptop and webvirtmgr installed on unraid.  Plus its useful for changing conf files for video card pass-through.

EDIT2 updated script

+1

Dmacias - You are the man. Gonna set this up today. thx for figuring all that out!

K00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash

S00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash

fi

if [ ! -e $LVDIR ];then
            mv /etc/libvirt $LVDIR
        else
            rm -r /etc/libvirt
        fi     			
    fi     
fi

EDIT2 updated script

Awesome scripts dmacias! I am also looking forward to seeing how you got virt-manager up and working when you're ready to share. Question about the autostart .xml; to remove them from autostarting on boot, is it as simple as deleting the .xml file from /libvirt/qemu/autostart? or is there a virsh command that will do this?

K00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash

S00libvirt.sh

#!/bin/bash

fi

if [ ! -e $LVDIR ];then
            mv /etc/libvirt $LVDIR
        else
            rm -r /etc/libvirt
        fi     			
    fi     
fi

EDIT2 updated script

Awesome scripts dmacias! I am also looking forward to seeing how you got virt-manager up and working when you're ready to share. Question about the autostart .xml; to remove them from autostarting on boot, is it as simple as deleting the .xml file from /libvirt/qemu/autostart? or is there a virsh command that will do this?

Yes, if created with "virsh autostart" it's just a symlink to the xml in /libvirt/qemu. You can just delete them in autostart.

For virt-manager it's as simple as uncommenting the "listen_tcp = 1" in libvirtd.conf then restarting libvert. You can either start and stop the array if using the scripts or run "/etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt restart". Then connect to unraid with virt-manager through tcp connection using, well root is all I tested but maybe other user creds work.

What I was working on was maybe a plugin for webvirtmgr to run on unraid.  It's a python based libvirt manager. You just connect to your unraid server on whatever port you run it on.    I have it working but just have to finish a  plugin and figure how to daemonize it, maybe with python daemon.

Edit. I also use VM Manager on android. But it's not very sophisticated.  So if someone knows a better android app let me know.

So... I noticed that the /libvirt/qemu folders were on both my cache drive and disk 1 drive by mistake. I forgot to make the libvirt folder cache only. I changed the folder settings to cache only and I decided to delete the contents of the libvirt/qemu folder of disk 1 (without making a backup of the files first...  :o). I restarted and figured that the libvirt files would be linked to the cache drive now; however, it would seem that I deleted the contents and they do not come back on a reboot.

I get this message on a reboot:

Aug 14 10:41:55 Pithos rc.unRAID[7081][7089]: 2014-08-14 15:41:55.955+0000: 7172: error : main:1261 : Can't load config file: Failed to open file '/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf': No such file or directory: /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf

How do I get those files back?  ::)

• 1 month later...

Can't seem to get this to work. Using KVM to run a Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine.

-Have latest version of Powerdown installed

-Copied scripts and placed K00libvirt.sh S00libvirt.sh in  /boot/config/plugins/ powerdown/rc.unRAID.d

-Created Cache only share /mnt/cache/.libvirt

-Edited changed lvdir=/mnt/cache/.libvirt

-ran Virsh define /mnt/cache/Win81.xml (this is where my domain file is stored)

Not seeing any new files in /mnt/cache/.libvirt and the VM doesn't autostart (put vfio-bind command in my go script)

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated, trying to make this VM more wife friendly if I'm not home and she ever needs to restart the server which is doubling as a Win 8.1 desktop at the moment..  :)

If I have WebVirtMgr installed and set to autostart my VM, will that work?  Or do I need to do it via the script?  I did put the kill script into /boot/config/plugins/powerdown/rc.unRAID.d/

No if you reboot it will be lost.  You have to have the virtman plg installed too or symlink /etc/libvirt to another location via a script. Just not to the flash drive. The vm xml files are stored in /etc/libvirt/qemu with a symlink in /etc/libvirt/qemu/auto.

No if you reboot it will be lost.  You have to have the virtman plg installed too or symlink /etc/libvirt to another location via a script. Just not to the flash drive. The vm xml files are stored in /etc/libvirt/qemu with a symlink in /etc/libvirt/qemu/auto.

Oh, sorry.  I do have virtman as well as WebVirtMgr installed.  I did end up rebooting just to try it and my VM did auto-start.  Do you have the array auto-start as well? 

That's included with beta 9 libvirt auto starts/stops with the array. I believe in beta 10 that won't be the case and I have an updated version for beta 10.  If you edit any files manually in /etc/libvirt you have to restart libvirt for changes to take effect.  If you edit through webvirtmgr you just have to restart the edited vm.

Oh, sorry.  I do have virtman as well as WebVirtMgr installed.  I did end up rebooting just to try it and my VM did auto-start.  Do you have the array auto-start as well?

You'll need to remove virtman then add the virtMan plugin for beta 10. It's uses a different repo and name. Just copy and paste in plugin menu/install plugin, then install

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/virtMan/master/virtMan.plg

You'll need to remove virtman then add the virtMan plugin for beta 10. It's uses a different repo and name. Just copy and paste in plugin menu/install plugin, then install

You mean remove the current "Libvirt Support" from the Plugins directory, then reinstall it?  I've rebooted in b10 w/o any issues. (just fyi)

You mean remove the current "Libvirt Support" from the Plugins directory, then reinstall it?  I've rebooted in b10 w/o any issues. (just fyi)

Yes but reinstall from the virtMan link. I included instructions in the webvirtmgr thread too. The previous version didn't have any array event start/stop.  unRAID had it built in. In version 10 it was removed. Which makes sense for those that don't run vm's, don't want libvirt running.  Just like I don't use docker and don't want it running.

I assume this is ok.. I clicked the remove, then installed using the URL in the plugin install box.  Directory already existed.

/usr/local/sbin/plugin install https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/virtMan/master/virtMan.plg 2>&1
plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/virtMan/master/virtMan.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/virtMan/master/virtMan.plg

Warning: mkdir(): File exists in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/plgMan/plugin on line 146
plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/virtMan/virtMan-2014.09.28.tar.gz - downloading from URL "https://github.com/dmacias72/virtMan/archive/2014.09.28.tar.gz"

Warning: mkdir(): File exists in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/plgMan/plugin on line 146
plugin: running: 'anonymous'
mv: cannot move '/boot/config/plugins/virtman' to a subdirectory of itself, '/boot/config/plugins/virtMan/virtman'
mv: '/boot/config/plugins/virtMan/virtman.img' and '/boot/config/plugins/virtMan/virtMan.img' are the same file
mv: '/boot/config/plugins/virtMan/virtman.cfg' and '/boot/config/plugins/virtMan/virtMan.cfg' are the same fileplugin: installed

Edit

Sorry if I'm dense... This will allow me to remove my libvir start line from my go script?

# Startup libvirt for beta 10