[SOLVED] ifconfig eth0: error fetching interface information: device not found

hi there, I have a new unRAID server built, the mobo is H97M-ITX/ac with an integrated NIC Qualcomm Atheros AR8171. I got the above error message.

In the other post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24392.0, there's a real possibility that the unRAID version v5.0.5 (latest version) may not support the NIC.

I have tried solutions to set up a static IP via this post: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Verifying_Network_Connectivity, by editing the static IP in the network.cfg, but to no avail.

I get an orange/ green on the NIC (server) and green/ green on the network hub, so I think my NIC is not communicating to the network. I cannot detect the server from a network PC.

Can you assist with my problem? Grateful for the support.

Regards.

Okay, may just try that. I thot beta 6 64bit may have too many unsupported plugins so I did not go with it.

As a contingency, I have another mobo Asus H97-Plus which has an Intel NIC. I'll check out v6 first, otherwise I will have to replace the mobo. Thanks for your help.

Okay, may just try that. I thot beta 6 64bit may have too many unsupported plugins so I did not go with it.

As a contingency, I have another mobo Asus H97-Plus which has an Intel NIC. I'll check out v6 first, otherwise I will have to replace the mobo. Thanks for your help.

Which plugins do you need. PhAzE has 32bit and 64bit versions of many of the common ones.

It might be worth mentioning which plugins you use?  There are 64-bit equivalents for many of the existing 32-bit ones. 

Possibly even more relevant is that most common plugins are now available in docker form for v6 which is going to be the recommended way to install most add-ons in v6 (as they are less risk to system stability).

Thank you mr-hexen, trurl & itimpi for your advice. unRAID 6 have resolved it. I had to change the network.cfg to set up the STATIC IP for it to work. However, the orange light is still showing on the NIC even tho' I am reach it from the network.

I will looking towards PhAzE for the plugins. I will be a happy man after I get all my drives: 1x parity & 2x data disks assigned properly. Right now I managed to see only 1x data drive & managed to preclear it. It's another topic if I can't resolve by opening up the NAS to check the connectivity for the other 2 disks.

Consider this thread closed. Thanks guys! cL