Any use WebVirtMgr with KVM ??

This is the error I receive when I try to install on Unraid 6b8.  See attached log.

I don't know if it help, but my WebUI is on port 90 instead of port 80 (because of PlexConnect docker).

That's cause I posted the link to the webpage instead of the raw file.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/webvirtmgr_unRAID_6/master/webvirtmgr.plg

If you wanna wait a bit I updated the plugin to the new unraid plugin format,  removed libvirt and created a separate plugin for it. I just need to finish a couple the symlink part of it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if anyone's working on this PLG today and wants to chat, hit me up on Google Hangouts please:  [email protected].  Want to get documented what is required to get this implemented.

My initial thoughts are this:  for folks like us, this is a great tool to help shortcut a lot of VM management.  For the mass majority of our customers (home/consumer users): this is overkill.  That said, I want to get it incorporated as long as we can test it out and put it through it's paces.

Anyone that wants to help me on this effort, I will gladly take the assistance where I can get it.

I can confirm that some of the VMs I've created in the past were able to be "imported" for management into this tool quite nicely.  It's also having me rethink how we manage storage for virtual machines.

Will doing any of this mess up future releases of unRAID? I know it's a difficult question but it would be a pain to have to redo everything later on.

Wanted to address this.  The one thing that I'm concerned about right now is the overrwiting of the libvirt package.  We custom built libvirt / qemu.conf to do certain things to simplify functionality for users (such as the ACS override patch and default cgroup settings in qemu.conf.  We also patched QEMU 2.1 to include a patch from Alex Williamson at Red Hat to hide the KVM flag from nVIDIA devices.  I am testing now to see if this plugin breaks any of that.

Will doing any of this mess up future releases of unRAID? I know it's a difficult question but it would be a pain to have to redo everything later on.

Wanted to address this.  The one thing that I'm concerned about right now is the overrwiting of the libvirt package.  We custom built libvirt / qemu.conf to do certain things to simplify functionality for users (such as the ACS override patch and default cgroup settings in qemu.conf.  We also patched QEMU 2.1 to include a patch from Alex Williamson at Red Hat to hide the KVM flag from nVIDIA devices.  I am testing now to see if this plugin breaks any of that.

I removed libvirt from this plugin and reformatted it.  I'll push it when I get home.

Edit: I pushed a new version without libvirt and in plgman format.

So with the new plugin we do not need to overwrite libvirt anymore and it sees the networks?

No. We do for now till they update it in unraid. I removed libvirt from webvirtmgr plugin and made a separate libvirt plg that will overwrite libvirt,  and start and stop it with the array and symlink. I'm not quite done.  When they upgrade libvirt in unraid, I will just remove that package. You can just installpkg libvirt-1.2.8.... and /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt stop then /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt start.  You can do /etc/rc.d/rc.libvirt restart but sometimes it doesn't work for me.

@dmatias:  What user to use on the Login Page of the webVirtMgr ?  I just installed it, had to put the Install on a /mnt (that's ok) and had to use "root" because it wouldn't start as nobody...

But I can't login. 

I'm not understanding the other part about the libvirt? Do I need to update that for WebVirtMgr to work OK or it's for Special use case?

@dmatias:  What user to use on the Login Page of the webVirtMgr ?  I just installed it, had to put the Install on a /mnt (that's ok) and had to use "root" because it wouldn't start as nobody...

But I can't login. 

I'm not understanding the other part about the libvirt? Do I need to update that for WebVirtMgr to work OK or it's for Special use case?

I will make a separate thread with better instructions.  You have to uncomment listen_ tcp = 1 in /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf.

I working on creating the user/pass from the webgui.  But the command is /PathToWebVirtMgr/manage.py createsuperuser --username YOURUSERNAME --email YOUREMAIL  then you'll be asked for a password them confirm it.

Also if you create a local socket connection in webvirtmgr you don't need to edit libvirtd.conf.  Without the upgraded libvirt package you just won't be able to configure networks in webvirtmgr but everything else works

Currently, I logged in.  It works. 

Going to Networks, I have that: this function is not supported by the connection driver: virConnectNumOfNetworks

I guess this is the issue discussed here about the network unavailable ?

We are testing an updated libvirt with additional flags set to support this initiative.  We're hoping to get another beta release out in the next week or so here barring no issues come up!

I think that plugin or work should definitely be integrated to Unraid 6 :)  The Settings page for KVM is nice, I would add a button to launch the WebVirtMgr when it is started and the creation of a Superuser directly in this page.!

Seeing that it is easy to create a Config Page like that, I wonder how easy it would be to create one with extended settings for the FTP Server... :o

We are testing an updated libvirt with additional flags set to support this initiative.  We're hoping to get another beta release out in the next week or so here barring no issues come up!

WOOHHOOO!! I am currently setting up a Windows 8 KVM. I currently have an older ATI graphics card that I had working with beta 6 but I will be putting in a spare Nvidia card in the next couple of days to hoping to get it working with the new Nvidia patches.

Do you see the hardware to pass trough in web virtmanager  like in virt-manager? I didn't se that option , but didn't  look to hard.......

//Peter

No I didn't find it (although I haven't looked all that hard either). I have been using virt-manager with my ubuntu VM about 99% of the time so far. I really like virt-manager.

No HW passthrough in webvirtmgr.

No VFIO support directly in it either.

There is an xml editor and an ability to import an "instance" from XML.  I have gotten that instance import to work with my pre-written XML for pass through.

We are going to include the appropriate modifications to libvirt to make this webvirtmanager plugin not require a custom libvirt install to work, but we are not going to bake in webvirtmanager itself into unRAID at this time.

ah, good to know

We are going to include the appropriate modifications to libvirt to make this webvirtmanager plugin not require a custom libvirt install to work, but we are not going to bake in webvirtmanager itself into unRAID at this time.

Happy to hear about the libvirt modifications! It would be really nice if virt-manager could be baked into unRAID but i'm not sure how we could do that without a gui  :-\

ah, good to know

Happy to hear about the libvirt modifications! It would be really nice if virt-manager could be baked into unRAID but i'm not sure how we could do that without a gui  :-\

yeah, not going to happen.  A GUI adds more complications to things.