how do I upgrade my motherboard?

directo

Ok...so I'm waiting for the 'use the search function posts'!!!  Just to be clear, I did do a search, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

I want to upgrade my motherboard (to the supermicro).  Is it just a matter of unplugging my old motherboard, and plugging all the drives into the new motherboard?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks.

Experts will probably chime in, but I would do the following:

Prior to changing any hardware -

1. Run a parity check and let it finish.

2. Print the main web page showing all the disk assignments/serial numbers so you can properly re-assign them after you swap your MB.

3. Run SMART reports on all the drives to make sure there are no significant errors.

After changing hardware -

1. Re-assign the drives according to the above printout.

2. Run SMART tests again to insure proper connectivity and integrity.

3. Run another parity check just to be safe.

I think Rob's post is good.  Just to remove any remaining fear...  This isn't Window's.  Motherboard replacement with unRaid is EASY.  I've lost count how many times I've swapped motherboards on my system.  Your primary concern should be re-assigning your drives properly (again, see Rob's post).  Everything else should just work.

Rob_Esc has given good directions.

I'd recommend making a backup of the /boot/config directory on the flash.

You will want to make sure that all of your drives are plugged securely into the MB.  If not, the drive may not be recognized by the BIOS.  If you let unRAID boot in this condition, the missing disk will get kicked from the array.  Althought this is not deadly, it would be smartest to NOT allow unRAID to boot until you see that all of the drives are recognized during the POST process.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old topic.

It looks like my Asus P5E-VM DO is toast and needs to be RMA'd.

I'm getting a message "Me is in recovery state" on boot and the process stops.

My question is:

I do not have a screenshot of the drive assignment page.

How do I properly assign the drives after replacement?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kent

Sorry to bump an old topic.

It looks like my Asus P5E-VM DO is toast and needs to be RMA'd.

I'm getting a message "Me is in recovery state" on boot and the process stops.

My question is:

I do not have a screenshot of the drive assignment page.

How do I properly assign the drives after replacement?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kent

Initially do not assign the parity drive.  If all the others show up as data drives then you can go ahead and assign the parity drive.

If one drive shows as unformatted, it might be the parity drive.

Do not press the "Format" button if it shows.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe.

So does it not matter what slots I assign the data drives to as long as I get the parity drive right?

Thanks again

It does not really matter, but if you assign to slot 5 a disk that used to be in slot 3, then the data that used to be on the disk3 share will now show up on the disk5 share instead of disk3.  You might need to modify the user-share rules for inclusion, exclusion, permissions, etc.

Joe L.

So I replaced the motherboard and got UNRAID to boot.

But now all my drives show up as missing.

4459393968_429ca8b619.jpg

I unassigned all the devices, but what do I do now?

Can I trust the drive identified as the parity drive in the screen shot?

Or is there another way to tell which is the parity drive?

Thanks in advance,

Kent

So I replaced the motherboard and got UNRAID to boot.

But now all my drives show up as missing.

I unassigned all the devices, but what do I do now?

Go to the devices tab and assign all your drives to a data slot but leave the parity unassigned. Then go back to the main page and see if any show as unformatted. If so then that one is probably the parity drive. Then just go back to the devices page and assign that "unformatted" drive as the parity drive instead and the last drive you haven't touched as the data drive. If they all show up as data drives and none show as unformatted the first time then you probably got it right. Just do not press the restore or format buttons at any time.

Can I trust the drive identified as the parity drive in the screen shot?

Or is there another way to tell which is the parity drive?

Actually, from the screenshot just pay attention to what drive it is listing as parity. It says it is missing but it is probably what you used to have as the parity drive. Go to the devices page and pick the same drive as parity. In fact, just assign all drives to match that page and it should be correct.

Archived