SuperMicro 48TB server Issues

I put in a new hard drive and did a preclear. Then I had assigned it to the disk it replaced and hit start array. Click on format disk and it does nothing. I look at the consol and this is what is showing.

Once I logged in on the webpage this came up

"Tower login: fallocate: : open failed: No such file or directory"

Then when I click on format this come up.

"sh: line 1: 2044 Aborted    mreiserfs -q /dev/md2 2>&1

2045 Done  | logger"

log.txt

I'm confused. Are you adding a new blank drive to the array, or rebuilding into an already occupied logical slot?

Formatting puts a new blank filesystem on a drive, erasing whatever was there before. If you want to rebuild with your old data, you definitely don't want to format it.

Maybe a full syslog and a little more description of what you are doing and why would help.

You said it is replacing a drive. Does the old drive it is replacing have data on it? Is it your intention to have unRAID rebuild the new drive so that it has the data from the old drive? That is generally what is meant by "replacing" a drive. If you are trying to do a rebuild then you have done something wrong because unRAID will not even give you an option to format a replacement drive.

Many people think formatting means erasing a drive. What formatting actually means is creating an empty filesystem. A disk that has been formatted actually has something on it, an empty filesystem. The reason there is no formatting for replaced drives is because it would be pointless. When unRAID does a rebuild, it rebuilds the filesystem including all of its contents.

Maybe I was wrong about whether it would let you try to format or not. I really think unRAID should not present the format option in this scenario. Can someone else confirm that this is expected behavior? If this is the way it usually works then it is a very good opportunity for someone to screw things up. I know I have explained on more than one occasion that formatting is NOT part of the rebuild process.

In any case, I assume what you want to do is Rebuild. If you format, then that new drive will have an empty file system on it, and the parity drive will be updated to reflect that. Then you won't be able to rebuild.

Unless you don't want any of the old data rebuilt onto the new disk, DO NOT FORMAT. Rebuild instead.

Have you removed the old drive from the computer? Was there anything wrong with it? You should keep it around until you confirm that the rebuild was successful in case you need it to recover the files.

The situation is definitely confusing!  Here's what I see -

* The new drive is fine, Preclear was perfect.

* Both Format and Rebuild options are being presented, should not be.  I think I'll create a Defect report, and quote trurl's post, as it states the case perfectly.

* In your syslog, this new drive (Disk 2, sdi, serial ending in J67) already has a partition ("kernel:  sdi: sdi1"), and is ALREADY part of the array.  I think that is confusing UnRAID.  Do you possibly have the syslog where it was added?

* In your image, Parity drive has orange ball, which seems odd to me.  I can't remember if that is normal for this situation or not.  I would have thought it should be green and good, before a Rebuild is possible.

* The server boots at 00:52:52, nothing happens until 02:31:03, then I believe you click the Format button and the array begins to start, but it assumes there's a Reiser file system on Disk 2 and tries to mount it, and immediately gets I/O errors ("Buffer I/O error on device md2"), but there are no hardware disk errors at all!  I have to wonder if it is trying to read from the virtual Disk 2...  It is unable to read from any of the critical first sectors of the drive, but we know from the Preclear and SMART reports that they are fine, and there are no physical disk errors appearing.  At 02:31:21, it then tries to format it, but again fails with the same "Buffer I/O errors" and again with no disk errors at all (again as if it is trying to format the virtual md2)!

* It's possible that in a previous session, when the drive was added, a Format was attempted, but without a valid Disk 2, it formatted the virtual Disk 2, essentially wiping its data from Parity.  I don't know how that could be possible though.

* We need to know what the status and situation for your previous Disk 2 is.  If it is readable, I think your best bet is going to be:

--- Reinstall previous Disk 2 (make sure it's in good shape, no bad sectors to stop the Parity build)

--- Rebuild Parity anew, to remove the empty format; you may have to use New Config?

--- Preclear the new drive again, so it's clean with no format present.  Use the -n option to skip the preread and postread

--- Unassign the old drive, and reassign the new drive

--- Rebuild (I may be missing steps above, but you get the idea)

* Minor issue: your DHCP server, probably on your router, is currently set up to renew IP leases every hour.  You will probably want to change that to at least a day or week.

Others may have better ideas.

I did change the DHCP to more than an hour and for what ever reason it wont change.

As far as the old hard drive that was in there. It would run fine for alittle while then it would redball on me and once it did that it would lock up the entire system and I would have to reboot the server. I then took the hard drive out and replaced it with the one that you are seeing and is causing this new issue. I did do a SMART check on the old hard drive on a separate computer via WD Tools and did a short and long SMART checks and came back fine. I then ran a DISK CLEAR on it so it wrote 0s to the entire HD.

I am not sure as to what is causing all of the issues here.  All of the DATA drives are WD Red 4TB drives but the Parity drive that is a WD RE 4TB

PFSence.

Updated post: Another thing is i was reading is that beta 7-8 was having issues with corruption and issues with the reiserfs file system. Should I preclear the hard drives that have data on it and change over the file system?

At this current moment I don't have that much data on the server because of the current issues at hand. So I do not mind on "starting fresh" so to say.

Updated post: Another thing is i was reading is that beta 7-8 was having issues with corruption and issues with the reiserfs file system. Should I preclear the hard drives that have data on it and change over the file system?

At this current moment I don't have that much data on the server because of the current issues at hand. So I do not mind on "starting fresh" so to say.

From what Tom has been saying I would think that beta 9 (which fixes this issue) may only be hours away from being made available, so I would say it is up to you.

From what Tom has been saying I would think that beta 9 (which fixes this issue) may only be hours away from being made available, so I would say it is up to you.

If I were starting fresh, I think I might consider XFS for array drives, especially in light of this recent ReiserFS debacle.

Okay it got down formatting. BUT it had only formatted Disks7-12. and redballed disk1. I had restarted the server and it would let me format disks 2-6. I had reenabled disk1 and went to go format it and it says it started formatting but when i hit refresh it says unformatted.

I had changed my file system all to XFS and now on unRAID 6.0Beta9.

Okay it got down formatting. BUT it had only formatted Disks7-12. and redballed disk1. I had restarted the server and it would let me format disks 2-6. I had reenabled disk1 and went to go format it and it says it started formatting but when i hit refresh it says unformatted.

If the disk was red-balled then this indicated that a write to it has failed.  This might explain the failure to format.  Have you got to the bottom of why this happened/is happening?

If the disk was red-balled then this indicated that a write to it has failed.  This might explain the failure to format.  Have you got to the bottom of why this happened/is happening?

No, that is why I am asking ya.  ???  ;)

No, that is why I am asking ya.  ???  ;)

I would suggest that to enable anyone to do some diagnostics you need to provide a recent syslog, and also a SMART report for the problem drive.