Looking for 5-in-3 bracket (no hotswap/backplane)

praeses

Hi,

I am looking for some 5-in-3 brackets where the drives are mounted perpendicular to the 5.25" bays without any sort of fan mounts/facia (I'll do that myself).  Rubber mounts would be ideal although hard mounts would be fine.  I have a slew of 5.25->3.5" brackets from over the years but I am looking to get higher density.  After a few troubles with the typical sata multipliers and hotswap bays, I am looking to simplify things as much as possible.

So far I have only found 4-in-3 brackets (cages).

Both the Drive Racks and Stackers linked off of the wiki are not quite what I am looking for.  I am trying to remove any extra electrical connections and plug every drive directly into the motherboard/controller/power supply.  The power supply may be as there aren't really any suitable psu's with 16 sata power connectors.

Brian's looks pretty close to what I am aiming for.  If I were to attempt that I'm sure mine would be far less shiny with the occasional rosy stains.

I've looked around for stuff like that a while back and I didn't see anything either. I don't think anyone makes them. The nicest I've seen is the CoolerMaster unit which also has a 120mm fan mounted but it's still just 4 drives. I think a 5 drive mount is a DIY item. Maybe you can start with some parts from a 4-drive.

Peter

I've been looking around a bunch for some cheaper 5-in-3s, but have come to the conclusion I will just get a norco case.

I have two Norco SS-500's in a Coolermaster Centurion 590 case, and I've ordered a third. They are nicely made and only having to provide two standard power connectors per chassis is nice and makes for a clean install. I only wish I could have found something that used a multilane SATA cable. I'm running between 35 and 38 celsius per drive when the drives are spun up.

I've been looking around a bunch for some cheaper 5-in-3s, but have come to the conclusion I will just get a norco case.

I have two Norco SS-500's in a Coolermaster Centurion 590 case, and I've ordered a third. They are nicely made and only having to provide two standard power connectors per chassis is nice and makes for a clean install. I only wish I could have found something that used a multilane SATA cable. I'm running between 35 and 38 celsius per drive when the drives are spun up.

I've been meaning to start a thread on those. The replaceable, shrouded, 92mm fan design would seem to put it above all the rest as far as cooling goes.

Found this:

http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=BR2U19&Category_Code=Acce

Kind of pricey, and I dont like the warning. Might just buy one to see.

That’s kind of cool.  I have been wanting something like this as I don't really want to use backplanes (plus they are pretty expensive).  With this being $30 I can handle that.  I will probably get one when I need it and see how it works.

I got these in today and they are well made.  Granted they are probably not hard to fabricate but i do not have the tools or the supplies to do it... so i went the easy route.  Anyway, I will not have a chance to do the reorganization on the server until later next week so i will update you all on how it goes then.

Did I mention my drive temperatures are the coldest I have ever seen them between 29-32C. The fans are so quiet my wife said

we could even put the server under the office table. But, once I am done testing, it is going back to the closet out of site and mind of kids playing! grin.

i might possible add the Norco if I can get it WA (Wife Approval) on it I already spent a good bit on my current setup and haven't finished gettin all my drives in there but after lookin at it last night i'll need a 5 in 3 at some point with another add on card to support the extra sata connections also need some longer ide cables

Found this:

http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=BR2U19&Category_Code=Acce

Kind of pricey, and I dont like the warning. Might just buy one to see.

That’s kind of cool. I have been wanting something like this as I don't really want to use backplanes (plus they are pretty expensive). With this being $30 I can handle that. I will probably get one when I need it and see how it works.

WATCH OUT! If you don't have a case that uses rails to mount 5.25 devices (Antec does for example), then your case PROBABLY has those little tabs at the bottom of each 5.25 bay that supports the devices, those will have to go if you want to use the cage from servercase.com. The Coolermaster one that is a 4 in 3 only holds 4 drives because it is shaped in such a way that it does not have a problem with the metal tabs. Again, if your case uses rails, then this won't be an issue for you.