unRAID unVMs - Coming Soon...

jonp

nice.

some thoughts;

-dont restrict pci passthrough to just graphics and sound - allow any pci device, and more of them

-what are storages?  ???

-will xen get some love?

nice, still.

Restricting PCI because not all devices work for pass through yet.  More will be added for sure. This is just to simplify for openelec for now. 

Storages?  Where we are going we don't need storages...  Bad back to the future reference.

I am currently only using v5.0.5 until a v6 RD comes out.  Is this just a way to manage a VM after it has been created or will this be able to create new VMs?

Little OT but when I make the move to v6 will I have any issues moving my windows 8.1 updated to 8.1 VM over to KVM from ESXi?  I ask mainly licensing if I have to reinstall that is no problem I just need to be able to activate it.

I am currently only using v5.0.5 until a v6 RD comes out.  Is this just a way to manage a VM after it has been created or will this be able to create new VMs?

Little OT but when I make the move to v6 will I have any issues moving my windows 8.1 updated to 8.1 VM over to KVM from ESXi?  I ask mainly licensing if I have to reinstall that is no problem I just need to be able to activate it.

Assuming you have a legit, non-oem license, you can simply call Microsoft to activate it.  Last time I did that I just had to say it was only installed on one PC and they were able to give me an activation code and walk me through the activation process.  It took about 30-45 minutes due to the wait time on hold, actual process was maybe 10 minutes once I was talking to someone.

Assuming you have a legit, non-oem license, you can simply call Microsoft to activate it.  Last time I did that I just had to say it was only installed on one PC and they were able to give me an activation code and walk me through the activation process.  It took about 30-45 minutes due to the wait time on hold, actual process was maybe 10 minutes once I was talking to someone.

I was going to comment the same, but go one step further:

We should be able to migrate ESX and even physical Windows desktops to a VM.  It's just a matter of drivers, testing, and hardware compatibility.  That said, we have to test this out in the lab yet.

Windows 8 oem can be moved to another computer but 8.1 oem cannot according to MS Web site.  Basically I am wondering if the VM is on the same physical machine just a different underlining OS will windows see it as a new computer and want to reactivate it.

With all the people that have installed Windows 8 on unRAID Xen has any of them moved that install to KVM?

That looks amazing Jon. Well done guys.

I'm really looking forward to when more AAA games are available on SteamOS.

I'll finally be rid of windows forever ;D .For now I'm not sure sure it's worth the video card :)

Is that Win 7 or 8 you have installed. Is there a preferred one to use?

Have you attempted to OC your machine at all jon?. I have a i7 3930k I'm going to be using and was

considering it. Or OCing the cores I'll give to the Win VM.  Is that a bad idea or worth testing

do you think?

Will there be a post of recommended video cards for this sort of thing?

Yup.  Working on that as well.  There is a big spreadsheet of cards that folks have tested in general, but being on a more modern kernel will probably benefit us here.

Here's that spreadsheet though. I can't take credit for it:

https://docs.google.com/a/lime-technology.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aryg5nO-kBebdFozaW9tUWdVd2VHM0lvck95TUlpMlE&usp=docslist_api

I was going to comment the same, but go one step further:

We should be able to migrate ESX and even physical Windows desktops to a VM.  It's just a matter of drivers, testing, and hardware compatibility.  That said, we have to test this out in the lab yet.

I was just looking into converting my ESXi VMs, a simple way to import them would be great.

RE: OpenELEC...

How will upgrades be handled?  Will we need to wait for someone at LT to recompile a custom build or will the internal upgrade mechanism in OE work?

John

EDIT:  Going to expand on this reply.

The image itself is a live image which makes it readonly by nature. The image has to be maintained for updates by LT then.  We will patch and maintain the image on a rather frequent basis.  Working on getting a video put together on all this to better explain.

Keep in mind that if you want to build your own XBMC VM and maintain all the updates yourself and be bleeding edge, you can.

We are just trying to make it super easy to get started.  We have lots of plans on how to improve it too.

RE: OpenELEC...

How will upgrades be handled?  Will we need to wait for someone at LT to recompile a custom build or will the internal upgrade mechanism in OE work?

John

EDIT:  Going to expand on this reply.

The image itself is a live image which makes it readonly by nature. The image has to be maintained for updates by LT then.  We will patch and maintain the image on a rather frequent basis.  Working on getting a video put together on all this to better explain.

Keep in mind that if you want to build your own XBMC VM and maintain all the updates yourself and be bleeding edge, you can.

We are just trying to make it super easy to get started.  We have lots of plans on how to improve it too.

TY.

My main concern is with mainstream OE updates...not betas or nightlies.

John