[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

Hi dmacias,

Thx for quick replay.

I am trying to do a snapshot a my vm´s. But after pressing the "snapshot" button nothing happens. Maybe this has to do with my vm´s .qcow2 being saved in an SSD outside of the array (mounted in /mnt/vm/w8)?

I hope you can help me with this too. Let me know if you need any other info from me.

Rgds.

That shouldn't matter.  That's where my qcow's are stored too.  The snapshot gets stored in the qcow file of the vm.  Is there a message after you click the snapshot plus? It should populate the snapshot table.  There are certain situations where a snapshot won't work. Like if there is another hard drive mounted in a vm.  Have you tried it with another vm.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dmacias,

Thx for quick replay.

I am trying to do a snapshot a my vm´s. But after pressing the "snapshot" button nothing happens. Maybe this has to do with my vm´s .qcow2 being saved in an SSD outside of the array (mounted in /mnt/vm/w8)?

I hope you can help me with this too. Let me know if you need any other info from me.

Rgds.

That shouldn't matter.  That's where my qcow's are stored too.  The snapshot gets stored in the qcow file of the vm.  Is there a message after you click the snapshot plus? It should populate the snapshot table.  There are certain situations where a snapshot won't work. Like if there is another hard drive mounted in a vm.  Have you tried it with another vm.

Hi dmacias,

I can do a snapshot of this vm when it is stopped. But once I start it snapshot functionality is not working. At the moment is the only vm I have.

I have no other hard drive mounted in my vm. I just created a connection to an existing network folder. Only message is shown is: "message: Cannot create snapshot".

Rgds.

Hi dmacias,

Thx for quick replay.

Rgds.

Hi dmacias,

I can do a snapshot of this vm when it is stopped. But once I start it snapshot functionality is not working. At the moment is the only vm I have.

I have no other hard drive mounted in my vm. I just created a connection to an existing network folder. Only message is shown is: "message: Cannot create snapshot".

Rgds.

I didn't add error reporting to snapshot so it doesn't show the error.  It's added in a new version but was waiting for new beta since it's based on dynamix. If I have time I'll see if I can back port it to beta 10.

Do you have a cdrom set to sata?  If so change to ide.  Sata will give errors in snapshot.

I didn't add error reporting to snapshot so it doesn't show the error.  It's added in a new version but was waiting for new beta since it's based on dynamix. If I have time I'll see if I can back port it to beta 10.

Do you have a cdrom set to sata?  If so change to ide.  Sata will give errors in snapshot.

Hi dmacias,

This would be great if you have time to add it to v10.

Yes my cd rom is set to sata...I will change this now.

Also, when my vm´s are stopped and I try to make a change to one of the xml templates, I get this :

message: Error changing domain definition: Requested operation is not valid: cannot delete inactive domain with 1 snapshots

. I guess I need to delete the snapshot first and them modify the xml.

Rgds.

Hi dmacias,

Also, when my vm´s are stopped and I try to make a change to one of the xml templates, I get this :

message: Error changing domain definition: Requested operation is not valid: cannot delete inactive domain with 1 snapshots

Rgds.

Yes that's correct.  Editing the xml really just removes the vm and creates a new vm with your edits. I can add the function to edit certain elements like I did for memory and vcpus.  But some things are limited by libvirt.

Hi dmacias,

Rgds.

Yes that's correct.  Editing the xml really just removes the vm and creates a new vm with your edits. I can add the function to edit certain elements like I did for memory and vcpus.  But some things are limited by libvirt.

dmacias...please see this:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36508.msg339344#msg339344

Is it possible to change the function of the "restart domain" button (maybe in the XML as shown below) to perform a stop/start rather than a restart.  If so, this may help with my USB passthrough issues.

<on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>

John

It's possible.  You'd have to wait for it to  powerdown like I have have shutdown button now. Where it refreshes the page every 5 seconds and checks if the guest is shutdown then I could have it issue a start. But you'd have to wait for the php process to compete on the page.  Or I could execute virsh commands in the back ground.  The latter I have been trying to avoid.

dmacias...please see this:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36508.msg339344#msg339344

Is it possible to change the function of the "restart domain" button (maybe in the XML as shown below) to perform a stop/start rather than a restart.  If so, this may help with my USB passthrough issues.

Not sure if this does what you want.

<on_reboot>rename-restart</on_reboot>

WOW!  I think that actually worked!  I was able to restart the domain and the passed through USB device retained its original DEVICE ID.

I can't really tell what the "rename" in "rename-restart" did though but I don't see any ill effects just yet.

Thanks dmacias!

WOW!  I think that actually worked!  I was able to restart the domain and the passed through USB device retained its original DEVICE ID.

I can't really tell what the "rename" in "rename-restart" did though but I don't see any ill effects just yet.

Thanks dmacias!

It destroys the domain and then restarts under a "new" name.  I'm not sure why they use that phrasing.

Works just fine for me.

Great, thanks!

Haven't had a chance to try 12. But if dynamix is in 12, I posted the link to that version in the first post. I'll check it out in a few. I may have to update virtman also. The buttons may not work but should start/stop libvirt fine.

Has anyone updated to beta 12 and used VM Manager? Just wanted to make sure I don't lose access to this amazing plugin!

Everything should work with vmMan but some layout might be off so I would uninstall it and install the dynamix.kvm.manager from the first post.

Thank you, I will attempt to update unRAID tomorrow. Thanks for getting this out so quickly.

Has anyone updated to beta 12 and used VM Manager? Just wanted to make sure I don't lose access to this amazing plugin!

Everything should work with vmMan but some layout might be off so I would uninstall it and install the dynamix.kvm.manager from the first post.

I updated to beta-12, uninstalled the normal vmMan and installed the dynamix.kvm.manager from the first post. I see the following errors on the [KVM] tab, "Virtual Machines" sub-tab. I currently have 0 VMs setup.

Warning: sort() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 220 Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 221

Thank you, I will attempt to update unRAID tomorrow. Thanks for getting this out so quickly.

Lol actually I've been waiting for a awhile for this to drop and ended back porting vmMan from the dynamix version the other day so people could use some of the new features and now it comes out.

I updated to beta-12, uninstalled the normal vmMan and installed the dynamix.kvm.manager from the first post. I see the following errors on the [KVM] tab, "Virtual Machines" sub-tab. I currently have 0 VMs setup.

Warning: sort() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 220 Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(274) : eval()'d code on line 221

During testing I have error reporting on and I think I left it on. I'll fix that error though. I hadn't tested it without any vms for a while. I'll update in a bit.

• trurl unpinned this topic