Not All Latching Cables Work With WD Drives

Just ran across this on WD's website stating that they've redesigned the connectors slightly on the drives and that not all latching cables work properly.  (Sounds like they've redesigned because of some mating issues with hotswap caddies)

Not sure how relevant this is since all of my drives use caddies, but figured I'd post anyways

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/p/227,456/c/123/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxNDk2MjU3OS9zaWQvdlhPQnVyNm0%3D

Yes, but cables with latches but without the bumps will not latch correctly.  Bad / Loose cables are a recurring problem on the forums.  And on a quick check of some of the cables which I have kicking around (mostly they came from motherboards), none of the ones with the metal latches have the bumps (and will not lock onto certain WD drives), whereas some (50%) of the ones I've got without latches do have the bumps (and will lock onto WD drives correctly).

Its counter-intuitive to think that a cable without a latch will hold better than one with one.

Cable with metal latches, but NO "bumps"

20141102_210312_zps69bfddbe.jpg

Cable without metal latches, but has the "bump"

20141102_210409_zpsf8e9897d.jpg

All of the power connectors I've checked had the 2 bumps on them

I was not aware that cables were a problem, but they are pretty easy to fix. Use the connect cables, made to spec.

http://www.knowledgetek.com/graphicsNew/SerialATA_Revision_3_2_Gold%28with%20Links%29.pdf

checkout sections 6.2.3 and 6.2.4, your "clickconnect" are per standard, but you have some cables to toss. Anything not to spec should be discarded, plus clickconnect should only be used on clickconnect devices.

your "clickconnect" are per standard, but you have some cables to toss. Anything not to spec should be discarded, plus clickconnect should only be used on clickconnect devices.

Like I said, I'm strictly hotswap using SAS cables, and as a general rule avoid WD, but the thing about not to spec is my entire point.  I was amazed at just how many of my cables that are just kicking around were not to spec...  And I'm sure that I'm not alone in that...