What is the best card? getting lost with all these topics

Ok

I have a Dell PERC h200, and the reason i'm changing it is because it only supports 16 drives while i have a 24 bay system

search the forum for my build "My711"

Anyway, i'm trying to figure which card to buy to replace the perc h200, and i'm getting confused with all these various topics, specially the sticky topic at this forum.

by far, what is the best card I can get? I'm using the intel extender btw.

i need something that is hassle-free, install and forget, not to keep troubleshooting every other day.

price is not an issue.

There is no "best" card, but here are the two leaders.

The LSI based cards like IBM M1015/Dell h310 are popular because they are often available as server pulls for low cost. This is why all the flashing to IT stuff comes up, converting them back to LSI generic cards.

And the Supermicro SAS cards (old AOC-SASLP-MV8) new AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.

As far as I can tell, the H310 and H200 are identical.

Just the horizontal vs. vertical connectors make the difference.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers

The H310 has the same 16-drive limit!

Since they are all some LSI derivative it is reasonable to check the specs.

M1015 is also supporting 16 drives only.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0740.html

As far as I can tell, the H310 and H200 are identical.

Just the horizontal vs. vertical connectors make the difference.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers

The H310 has the same 16-drive limit!

Since they are all some LSI derivative it is reasonable to check the specs.

M1015 is also supporting 16 drives only.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0740.html

Remember, once the firmware is changed to LSI IT, the restrictions of the OEM are gone too.

The SAS2008 SOC is not limited to 16. http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/SAS%20ICs/LSISAS2008/SCG_LSISAS2008_PB_043009.pdf

The LSI 9210-8i (what I get when I flash a M1015) supports 256 SAS/SATA targets.

http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9210-8i.aspx

PS: Without a SAS expander, it's only 8 drives.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33948.msg314541#msg314541

The LSI based cards like IBM M1015/Dell h310 are popular because they are often available as server pulls for low cost. This is why all the flashing to IT stuff comes up, converting them back to LSI generic cards.

Since all revert back to LSI, why not buy an LSI card directly? If so, which LSI card that will be good for my requirement?

Since all revert back to LSI, why not buy an LSI card directly? If so, which LSI card that will be good for my requirement?

The lsi cards are typically more expensive than pulls from servers.

Remember, once the firmware is changed to LSI IT, the restrictions of the OEM are gone too.

The SAS2008 SOC is not limited to 16. http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/SAS%20ICs/LSISAS2008/SCG_LSISAS2008_PB_043009.pdf

The LSI 9210-8i (what I get when I flash a M1015) supports 256 SAS/SATA targets.

http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9210-8i.aspx

Good point! Didn't think of that!

Well, in that case it might be some hardware issue as well?

Possible that the PCB is not 1:1 LSI built?

One of the problems with the h200, the internal tape adapter looks to many people like the h200. The Dell internal tape adapter is not the same as a Dell h200. The tape adapter has less memory.

Also, it is very easy to flash the h200 from IR to IT, since Dell provides both firmware, but does not remove the 16 limit. Completely blanking the h200 is more complicated and often unnecessary since going past 8 means using external hardware.

Sounds like you flashed with Dell firmware, which is much easier to do.

What is the basis for your statement?

If it was the case, then the 16 drive limit probably wouldn't be removed.

One of the problems with the h200, the internal tape adapter looks to many people like the h200. The Dell internal tape adapter is not the same as a Dell h200. The tape adapter has less memory.

How do you know that he has the tape adapter?

Also, it is very easy to flash the h200 from IR to IT, since Dell provides both firmware, but does not remove the 16 limit.

As I read up recently, the difference between H310 and H200 is that the H200 is delivered with

IT firmware.

Completely blanking the h200 is more complicated and often unnecessary since going past 8 means using external hardware.

You mean to flashing with LSI firmware is more complicated?

There is a toolset for H310 which is pretty straight forward and not complicated at all.

Flashing the H200 will be the same but wasn't tested afaik.

In the first step I would use the H310 toolset and give it a try.

Sounds like you flashed with Dell firmware, which is much easier to do.

What is the basis for your statement?

If it was the case, then the 16 drive limit probably wouldn't be removed.

Two factors, one he states he still has the 16 drive limit, which is a Dell restriction, not an LSI restriction; two crossflashing requires several steps, whereas the switch from IR to IT using Dell's firmware is a single executable.

How do you know that he has the tape adapter?

I have no idea what adapter he has. I stopped looking at the h200 because so many of the cards offered as h200 were tape cards, not h200.

Also, it is very easy to flash the h200 from IR to IT, since Dell provides both firmware, but does not remove the 16 limit.

As I read up recently, the difference between H310 and H200 is that the H200 is delivered with

IT firmware.

Completely blanking the h200 is more complicated and often unnecessary since going past 8 means using external hardware.

You mean to flashing with LSI firmware is more complicated?

There is a toolset for H310 which is pretty straight forward and not complicated at all.

Flashing the H200 will be the same but wasn't tested afaik.

In the first step I would use the H310 toolset and give it a try.

Crossflashing is more complicated because it is more than just one step. Crossflashing involves completely wiping the card. Which includes the WWN, so when crossflashing that has to be added back.

As an overview, crossflashing is four basic steps:

1) backup/record things from the card.

2) wipe everything from the card.

3) write new code to the card.

4) restore selected things to the card.

Flipping from IR to IT with OEM software;

1) write new code to the card.

When i first got the H200, i crossflashed it btw.

I found that i had the limit of 16 drives, when i added the 17th, and the parity rebuild was going at 8 MBps, which I suspected at that time that there is something wrong.  I read the tech specs of the card, and found the 16 drives limit.  Removed the 17th HDD, and it went to around 50-60 MBps.

However, recently, I replaced my old 3 TB parity drive with a WD 6 TB, and the same issue happened, was going around 9-10 MBps.  I left it, and the parity rebuild completed without any errors, but it took about 6-7 days.

I ordered the 8240-8i LSI card from ebay, and will be receiving it soon.

The only bad thing about these LSI cards is they suck 15 watts all the time, and they should need active cooling.  They have a wee little heatsink on them, but they are designed for forced air server chassis, something like 10cfm. 

15 watts might not sound like much, but in 45 cent per kilowatt land, thats 60 bucks a year just to keep the card warm.