Re: GENERAL EMAIL CONFIGURATION ISSUES) from: unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta12-x86_64 Available (Ge

Currently when something like parity finishes, or a drive fails a SMART test I don't get an email unless I've logged into the webGui and first received the browser notification. Is this expected behavior?

Speaking of email behavior, unRAID fails to send test emails again and I get this message "No reply from mail server". It seems like I am the only one with this issue? @JonP is there a way for me to manually delete the ssmtp files & settings and start fresh? or do you happen to have any other suggestions? I miss my daily emails from unRAID  :-\

Speaking of email behavior, unRAID fails to send test emails again and I get this message "No reply from mail server". It seems like I am the only one with this issue? @JonP is there a way for me to manually delete the ssmtp files & settings and start fresh? or do you happen to have any other suggestions? I miss my daily emails from unRAID  :-\

+1  expect that my error is:

Dec 4 10:07:52 Rose sSMTP[3423]: 554 5.1.8 - Domain of sender address does not exist [R0107008]

Regarding all of the troubles with emails (I myself couldn't for the life of me get sympatico.ca working), so I just went ahead and created a new gmail account and all my troubles were done)

But do you actually get emails other than the test one?  I have had corruption, my server crash, parity checks started/cpmpleted/canceled, etc. and I have not received a single notification.

For those of you having difficulty with the mail testing.

You can test manually in a terminal/telnet/ssh session by issuing the following command.

echo -e "Subject: Test Mail\n\n"  | sendmail -d [email protected](or whatever).

This is the output from the command as you suggested:

Linux 3.17.4-unRAID.
Last login: Thu Dec  4 10:38:28 -0500 2014 on /dev/pts/0 from 192.168.1.7.
root@Rose:~# echo -e "Subject: Test Mail\n\n"  | sendmail -d [email protected]
[<-] 220 mail-server-domain ESMTP mail service ready
[->] EHLO Rose
[<-] 250 8BITMIME
[->] AUTH LOGIN
[<-] 334 ************
[->] ****************************
[<-] 334 **************
[<-] 235 2.0.0 Authed. Go on.
[->] MAIL FROM:<root@Rose>
[<-] 554 5.1.8 - Domain of sender address does not exist [R0107008]
sendmail: 554 5.1.8 - Domain of sender address does not exist [R0107008]

[->] EHLO Rose
[<-] 250 8BITMIME
[->] AUTH LOGIN
[<-] 334 **********
[->] ************************
[<-] 334 **************
root@Rose:~#

Notice that it says that the mail is coming from <root@Rose>.  I suspect this might be the cause the problem...

As a point of information, I am using a custom e-mail setup.  The setup is shown in this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36527.msg339781#msg339781

EDIT:  As a piece of information, these settings are identical to the ones that I use for Dynamix  ver 5.0.6 email notification.  And, it works fine!

You can test manually in a terminal/telnet/ssh session by issuing the following command.

echo -e "Subject: Test Mail\n\n"  | sendmail -d [email protected]

So what does it mean when you type in the above command and it doesn't display an output? It also hasn't given me the command prompt back either, so it's doing something that's taking forever? In fact a ctrl + c does not cancel the command either...

For those of you having difficulty with the mail testing.

echo -e "Subject: Test Mail\n\n"  | sendmail -d [email protected](or whatever).

This is the output from the command as you suggested:

Linux 3.17.4-unRAID.
[->] EHLO Rose
[<-] 250 8BITMIME
[->] AUTH LOGIN
[<-] 334 **************
[->] **********************
[<-] 334 **************
[->] EHLO Rose
[<-] 250 8BITMIME
[->] AUTH LOGIN
[<-] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
[->] Zm1hbGFuZXlAaW5zaWdodC5yci5jb20=
[<-] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

Notice that it says that the mail is coming from <root@Rose>.  I suspect this might be the cause the problem...

As a point of information, I am using a custom e-mail setup.  The setup is shown in this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36527.msg339781#msg339781

If Rose is your unRAID server name then that is fine.

So what does it mean when you type in the above command and it doesn't display an output? It also hasn't given me the command prompt back either, so it's doing something that's taking forever? In fact a ctrl + c does not cancel the command either...

Did you have unmenu mail installed before?

Yes, I did have unmenu installed before.

EDIT: I still have unmenu installed however I removed the autoinstall of unmenu's ssmtp.

Yes, I did have unmenu installed before.

EDIT: I still have unmenu installed however I removed the autoinstall of unmenu's ssmtp.

If it's just hanging, there are two reasons.

The echo line is not typed in correct. I.E. echo -e  with the \n\n.

You need to type in a subject followed by a blank line.

OR

The machine cannot reach the destination domain configured in the SMTP Settings page.

Could my issue be a domain issue with my router? I am using pfsense and a domain of .private (this fixes issues with FQDN and apple devices over my home VPN). I am wondering though if there is some setting or rule that is causing ssmtp to get lost when it tries to send a test. Unfortunately if this is the case I am not really sure what to try?

EDIT: I ran through all my pfsense routing rules again and I saw that a few weeks ago I changed a rule. The rule didn't have unRAID's new ssmtp mail in mind... so it was blocking unRAID from contacting the gmail server. I suppose that is the negative side to having very strict routing rules, you have to double check them to make sure they still are valid once you make changes to other programs.

tl;dr - Not an unRAID issue

After some further investigation, I am now seeing in my log files for both of my servers that there is a "log-rotate" and then the system is saying that an email has been sent.  However, no such email ever arrives.  The test email however does arrive no problems.

I setup a gmail account specifically for unraid to log into just to send notifications to another email account which I ACTUALLY use.  Test email works perfectly.

But, the gmail account (sending account) is showing those log-rotate emails in its inbox.  It looks like the webgui is not honoring the notification settings of where to send emails to.  It is sending the emails to the email account used to log in.  While this sounds really messed up, trust me that its true

I guess that those which use the same address for the sending email address, and the 2 spots for their notifications  will not see this issue.

Now if anybody out there knows how to get sympatico.ca to work with the notifications I'd be grateful.  It worked perfectly with ssmtp and unMenu, but I gave up with 6b12 and had to go via gmail to send the emails to myself which I why I ran into this problem

Untitled_zpsfe204113.png

Untitled_zpsdea11c4a.png

On some quick and dirty further testing, if I play around with the temperature threshhold setting, then I do manage to get the emails at the correct account.  (But I recall another post in the announcements that stated something about the browser also having to be open at the same time)

Now if anybody out there knows how to get sympatico.ca to work with the notifications I'd be grateful.

Have you tried the following settings:

Preset service = custom

Mail server = smtphm.sympatico.ca

Mail server port = 25 (or 587 if port 25 does not work)

Use SSL/TLS = Yes

Authentication method: Login

Now if anybody out there knows how to get sympatico.ca to work with the notifications I'd be grateful.

Have you tried the following settings:

Preset service = custom

Mail server = smtphm.sympatico.ca

Mail server port = 25 (or 587 if port 25 does not work)

Use SSL/TLS = Yes

Authentication method: Login

Absolutely, but kept on getting errors.  Unable to reach server, account not authenticated, etc.  when all the details were filled in correctly....  As I recall when I was using unMenu, I also had to fill in the reverse alias.  I invested ~2 hours of playing around trying to get the test email, and just said screw it and made a gmail account to send the emails to sympatico.  But that's opened up another bug in the system as described

On some quick and dirty further testing, if I play around with the temperature threshhold setting, then I do manage to get the emails.  (But I recall another post in the announcements that stated something about the browser also having to be open at the same time)

I started a parity check today and at 4:09pm my Gmail account received another of the cron for user root /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1 1 & 1>/dev/null 2>&1 messages.  unRaid once again sent it to the incorrect address

But, the gmail account (sending account) is showing those log-rotate emails in its inbox.  It looks like the webgui is not honoring the notification settings of where to send emails to.  It is sending the emails to the email account used to log in.  While this sounds really messed up, trust me that its true

I guess that those which use the same address for the sending email address, and the 2 spots for their notifications  will not see this issue.

I think the same bug exists in the version of Dynamix for ver 5.X .  I always wanted to send the notifications to a different e-mail account then the one I was logging into.  The process never worked and I said screw it as I check both e-mail accounts several times a day.  (However, the stmp service I was using was on yahoo.com and, eventually, it decided that e-mails that I was sending to myself were spam and yahoo was sending them straight to the spam folder!)

• 5 weeks later...

just wondering if there is an actual bug with the SMTP setup via Dynamix in 6b12. I have tried with 3 different email accounts from gmail and hotmail without even being able to get the test email.

the furtherst I was able to get was to failed Athentication error, however I'm quite sure the password is correct.

Jan 4 18:11:16 Tower sSMTP[29132]: Creating SSL connection to host
Jan 4 18:11:16 Tower sSMTP[29132]: SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
Jan 4 18:11:17 Tower sSMTP[29132]: Authorization failed (534 5.7.14 https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=78754 wk2sm45477651pac.12 - gsmtp)

just wondering if there is an actual bug with the SMTP setup via Dynamix in 6b12. I have tried with 3 different email accounts from gmail and hotmail without even being able to get the test email.

the furtherst I was able to get was to failed Athentication error, however I'm quite sure the password is correct.

Jan 4 18:11:16 Tower sSMTP[29132]: SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
Jan 4 18:11:17 Tower sSMTP[29132]: Authorization failed (534 5.7.14 https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=78754 wk2sm45477651pac.12 - gsmtp)

Not saying there isn't a bug, but did you follow through the troubleshooting link in the error message to see if there was something you could do differently to possibly either get it to work, or get a different error code?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754

Linux 3.17.4-unRAID.
[->] EHLO Rose
[<-] 250 8BITMIME
[->] AUTH LOGIN
[<-] 334 **************
[->] **********************
[<-] 334 **************
[->] EHLO Rose
[<-] 250 8BITMIME
[->] AUTH LOGIN
[<-] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
[->] Zm1hbGFuZXlAaW5zaWdodC5yci5jb20=
[<-] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

If Rose is your unRAID server name then that is fine.

In my case it's not Ok for the mail to be from root@Rose.  Comcast only allows emails to come from [email protected].  So, I need Dynamix to use the value it writes to the generated ssmtp.conf,

Root=

instead of anything related to the local box.  That would take care of my problem, I think.

What I really need is for the process to behave as an e-mail client. More like an Eudora, MS Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, NOT as an e-mail server for a server registered as a domain which has several different users using it to send e-mail.

I am logging into my e-mail provider as a client not as a e-mail server for multiple users.  I think most of us are in that category...

Not saying there isn't a bug, but did you follow through the troubleshooting link in the error message to see if there was something you could do differently to possibly either get it to work, or get a different error code?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754

yes I did, according to the error message generated by google this really is an authentication error.

Funny enough, later on the day I have received a "blocked login attempt" notification from Google on my personal email, apparently the logon attempt was blocked despite the proper password/account combination. Looks like the way unraid logs in via SMTP doesn't hold up to the security standards google requires:

Sign-in attempt details

Date & Time: Monday, 5 January 2015 01:13:10 o'clock UTC

If this wasn't you

Please review your Account Activity page at https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity to see if anything looks suspicious. Whoever tried to sign in to your account knows your password; we recommend that you change it right away.

If this was you

You can switch to an app made by Google such as Gmail to access your account (recommended) or change your settings at https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps so that your account is no longer protected by modern security standards.

To learn more, see https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255.

Yours sincerely,

The Google Accounts team

change your settings at https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps so that your account is no longer protected by modern security standards.
Not saying this is an appropriate way of dealing with it, but I guarantee it will solve the immediate issue.

Perhaps set up a "throw away" google account to auto forward unraid messages, and reduce the security settings on it to allow unraid to use it.

change your settings at https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps so that your account is no longer protected by modern security standards.
Not saying this is an appropriate way of dealing with it, but I guarantee it will solve the immediate issue.

Perhaps set up a "throw away" google account to auto forward unraid messages, and reduce the security settings on it to allow unraid to use it.

This is what I did, surely you guys aren't using your real email for things like this?