[Feature Request] Add a custom notes page

GHunter

Thought it would be cool to have a Custom Notes page similar to the Release Note and EULA pages. This would be a place for the user to add whatever notes and forum links or whatever that they might want to add and view it in unRAID under the Tools menu. As an example, I modified the Readme.txt file on the root of my flash drive to add my notes. Now I can view them and click the links to take me to forum pages!

Gary

Readme.JPG.eb2f86a31d72d48bf98d78f7201b4cbb.JPG

readme.txt

I would like to expand and suggest that this be a unique page for each drive when you are in the drive view.

i.e.

Device -> Health Settings.

Perhaps another menu entry there where notes are stored as /boot/log/Deviceid-Serial.txt in dos crlf delimited format.

I.E. /boot/log/HGST HDN724040ALE640-PK2334PCHX2DLB.txt

This would allow a person to jot notes about where the drive was purchased, when it was put into service, any issues with.

I know most of the array deals with diskn and /dev/sd?

I've come to realize that drives come and go, yet slots are always the same.

many times you want history about the drive itself. Not just the slot.

I started to work on something like this, but was side tracked in another issue.

I think it could help us keep track of drive age and when they should be retired.

My "myMain" plugin to unmenu.has this feature. There are a large number of individual fields such as the ones you mention as well as general notes and even ability to add custom fields. It is also used to track SMART attribute values that have been researched and accepted so that the SMART view doesn't show them (by default, you can get an unfiltered list), so only new issues are highlighted. For example, if you have accepted 7 reallocated sectors on a disk, and then there is an 8th, only then is the issue reported. If the user then accepts the 8th, if will be filtered out until it increases again.

Both WeeboTech and bjp999 add some great ideas. I do use the extended features available in the unMenu and MyMain plugin for drive information like place and date purchased, warranty expiration, etc. I was unaware of the SMART attribute tracking feature though.

My feeling though is that SMART attribute tracking should be part of notifications. I don't want to have to look at the attributes every so often but would rather be notified when they change and what the new values are and what they were and the time lapse between the changes. The changed attributes most of us care about is reallocated sector count but id like to see this somewhat configurable and some threshold values for the ones we configure to track and notify us about.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Both WeeboTech and bjp999 add some great ideas. I do use the extended features available in the unMenu and MyMain plugin for drive information like place and date purchased, warranty expiration, etc. I was unaware of the SMART attribute tracking feature though.

My feeling though is that SMART attribute tracking should be part of notifications. I don't want to have to look at the attributes every so often but would rather be notified when they change and what the new values are and what they were and the time lapse between the changes. The changed attributes most of us care about is reallocated sector count but id like to see this somewhat configurable and some threshold values for the ones we configure to track and notify us about.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for your feedback.  Let's try to keep requests for SMART data / notifications in the appropriate thread though.  It will get lost tucked into this thread here which is simply about adding a custom "notes" page to the webGui for users to enter in details.

I would like to expand and suggest that this be a unique page for each drive when you are in the drive view.

i.e.

Device -> Health Settings.

Perhaps another menu entry there where notes are stored as /boot/log/Deviceid-Serial.txt in dos crlf delimited format.

I.E. /boot/log/HGST HDN724040ALE640-PK2334PCHX2DLB.txt

This would allow a person to jot notes about where the drive was purchased, when it was put into service, any issues with.

I know most of the array deals with diskn and /dev/sd?

I've come to realize that drives come and go, yet slots are always the same.

many times you want history about the drive itself. Not just the slot.

I started to work on something like this, but was side tracked in another issue.

I think it could help us keep track of drive age and when they should be retired.

This would be a great idea.

I like unmenu and used it a lot, but I'm trying to keep my install as simple as possible this time around.

Archived