unRAID Server Crash - 6.0-beta12

unRAID OS Version: 6.0-beta12

Description:

How to reproduce:Unknown.  System unstable.

May be related to running a Crashplan Docker.  Next step is to run for as long as possible without the docker.

While my system has crashed several times over the last couple of days, I've only managed to catch one good system log.  (Let me know how to catch more, and I'll be happy to do so - but with these crashes, I'm uncertain how to proceed).

Each of these crashes requires a hard reboot of the system. (Physical power button depress).

Occasionally, these crashes have wiped out the rest of my network, requiring me to reset my router.

I will update this if i can further deduce which activities are causing the failure.

Update:  The server crashed again, despite not running any containers.  Captured a failure in here as well - noted as Log 2. (This time, just the UI was taken out...  The shares seem to be okay...).  Will try to run without docker at all.

Thanks!

Syslog_Portion_Hard_Crash_-_2015-01-01.txt

Syslog_Hard_Crash_Log_2_-_2015-01-01.txt

Suggest you boot into unRAID 6 again and post a FULL syslog from the v6b12 boot. The partial syslogs are not sufficient to give people the info they need about your system and any addons you are running.

What Dockers are you running? Are you running any VMs? There was a crash caused by an earlier v6 beta where the VMs were stealing all of the CPU cycles from unRAID and causing a crash. This reminds me of that. But again, you need RobJ or Weebo or Tomm or some other syslog guru to really tell you what is going on.

I know just enough about syslogs to be dangerous, and see no smoking gun to blame Crashplan. I might suggest disabling all addons (safe mode) and Dockers. Run stock. See if the crash continues.

Please post info about the last version of unRAID you ran that was stable. Was it 5.0.5, or did you run one of the earlier betas successfully?

If you go back to 5.0.5, suggest you capture and post a syslog that boot as well. That can perhaps be compared to the v6 syslog.

Sorry bjp999, have already reverted.  This is my only unRAID install, and it's my media store / PVR / ... so I had to get it back up and running.

I didn't have any add ons specific to v6.  I had upgraded the UI using the built in functionality.  No dockers on for the last crash (Crashplan is the only container I had configured - it was running for the first). No VMs running.  Very vanilla.  I had converted the cache drive to btrfs.  That's about it.

I've never run a beta successfully.  As you see, there are lots of parity issues.  I posted about those last time I tried a beta, and basically the end result was "replace some old drives (even though it's not likely them) and revert to V5.  Here's a link to that chain:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35520.0

I've attached the current syslog for the running v5.0.6, in case that does help someone.

I feel like there's something weird about my HW or setup or something...  Just don't know.

syslog-2015-01-01-v5.0.6-full.txt

Sorry bjp999, have already reverted.  This is my only unRAID install, and it's my media store / PVR / ... so I had to get it back up and running.

I didn't have any add ons specific to v6.  I had upgraded the UI using the built in functionality.  No dockers on for the last crash (Crashplan is the only container I had configured - it was running for the first). No VMs running.  Very vanilla.  I had converted the cache drive to btrfs.  That's about it.

I've never run a beta successfully.  As you see, there are lots of parity issues.  I posted about those last time I tried a beta, and basically the end result was "replace some old drives (even though it's not likely them) and revert to V5.  Here's a link to that chain:

I've attached the current syslog for the running v5.0.6, in case that does help someone.

I feel like there's something weird about my HW or setup or something...  Just don't know.

Eric and I took a look the these logs today and we're going to ask Tom for some input on this, but from some research we did, this is probably a hardware specific issue.  It could be memory or motherboard/processor related.  Looking up your mobo, not only is it a bit old, but there are a few beta BIOS updates available as well.  This was determined from this line in your syslog:

Jan 1 09:00:34 WhiteNAS kernel: Hardware name: System manufacturer System Product Name/M2N-SLI DELUXE, BIOS ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1701 10/02/2008

You can find find and download the most current BIOS from here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NSLI_Deluxe/HelpDesk_Download/

What really throws me off is that the line in your syslog shows the bios version as 1701 dated 10/02/2008, but on the asus site, version 1701 is dated 3/2/2009.  Not sure if that's actually the same version or not.

Bottom line:  I'm almost positive this is a hardware-specific issue.  unRAID 5 and 6 use very different linux kernels so issues that may not be seen in v5 may be present in v6 only because of modernization.

If you ever decide to test again with unRAID 6, please try updating your BIOS first.

Additionally, do you have fast boot enabled?  What are your sata controller settings in the BIOS?  What sata controller are you using?  Is AHCI mode enabled?

Edit:  fixed link to correct mobo

Eric and I took a look the these logs today and we're going to ask Tom for some input on this, but from some research we did, this is probably a hardware specific issue.  It could be memory or motherboard/processor related.  Looking up your mobo, not only is it a bit old, but there are a few beta BIOS updates available as well.  This was determined from this line in your syslog:

Jan 1 09:00:34 WhiteNAS kernel: Hardware name: System manufacturer System Product Name/M2N-SLI DELUXE, BIOS ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1701 10/02/2008

You can find find and download the most current BIOS from here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NSLI_Deluxe/HelpDesk_Download/

What really throws me off is that the line in your syslog shows the bios version as 1701 dated 10/02/2008, but on the asus site, version 1701 is dated 3/2/2009.  Not sure if that's actually the same version or not.

Bottom line:  I'm almost positive this is a hardware-specific issue.  unRAID 5 and 6 use very different linux kernels so issues that may not be seen in v5 may be present in v6 only because of modernization.

If you ever decide to test again with unRAID 6, please try updating your BIOS first.

Additionally, do you have fast boot enabled?  What are your sata controller settings in the BIOS?  What sata controller are you using?  Is AHCI mode enabled?

Edit:  fixed link to correct mobo

Jonp, will do. Unsure when I will try again. But, please also see this thread from the last time I tried beta 6. (I have more logs in that thread).

I think the issues I saw there were also related to hw issues. I have since subsequently confirmed that the parity problems didn't really seem to exist...

Currently, I'm trying to get a second server running beta6, and am looking to move my production hard drives over there, then I can play some more, including beta bios drivers.