unRAID 6 NerdPack - CLI tools (iftop, iotop, screen, kbd, etc.)

jonp

From discussion that start in this thread, we decided to create a simple plugin that installs a set of additional command line tools onto your unRAID server.

WARNING:  These tools are for advanced users.  Their use is not officially supported by Lime Tech.  Use at your own risk and do not ask for direct support from us on the use of these tools.

Eric put this plugin together mainly so that folks who want to do development or more advanced functions can have access to do so without having to manually download and copy the Slackbuilds to their USB flash device.  Here are the packages that are included in this plugin:

• apr 1.5.0
  • apr-util 1.5.3
  • bwm-ng 0.6
  • cpio 2.11
  • git 2.3.5
  • iftop 1.0pre2
  • inotify-tools 3.14
  • iotop 0.6
  • iperf 3.0.11
  • kbd 1.15.3
  • lftp 4.6.1
  • lshw B.02.17
  • neon 0.29.6
  • p7zip 9.38.1
  • perl 5.22.0
  • python 2.7.9
  • readline 6.3
  • screen 4.2.1
  • sshfs-fuse 2.5
  • strace 4.10
  • subversion 1.7.16
  • unrar 5.2.5
  • utempter 1.1.5
  • vim 7.4.898

If someone wants to write up a small description of each of these tools, I will incorporate into the OP here.  Otherwise, google is your friend ;-)

Here's the link to the PLG itself (now on dmacias' repo).  Copy and paste this on the "install plugin" page of the webGui and you'll be on your way!

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/unRAID-NerdPack/master/plugin/NerdPack.plg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

For those unfamiliar with the kbd package, I suggested it so programs could be run on the console on a different tty.

This is mostly useful if your machine is having difficulty and you have a monitor.

In my case, I share one with the HTPC and switch between HDMI/VGA as needed.

For me, there is no difficulty, yet my machine has a monitor so I utilize it.

in my /boot/config/go file the last line is.

openvt -c9 -v -s /usr/bin/less +F /var/log/syslog

This opens less in follow mode (like tail) on the /var/log/syslog file on tty9.

So when the machine boots up, it switches to tty9 and starts monitoring the /var/log/syslog file.

It's a cheesy way to monitor the syslog temporarily on a physical screen.

The caveat of this approach is it needs to be restarted every time the /var/log/syslog is rotated.

I haven't done anything about that yet since it's been a proof of concept.

I think it's mostly useful when your machine is on the bench or there is difficulty.

There are better approaches like having rsyslog write directly to /dev/tty12 instead.

Since chvt is also included, we can make a drop in config for rsyslog to write to /dev/tty12 and change to it.

In the meantime use of less in this context allows forward/reverse paging and following mode on the syslog

(if you choose to enable it)

Lol, are we going to petition the willy wonka company to change the name of their candy too?  I guess its not a big deal to change the name, I just have to laugh at the thought of someone honestly being offended by the name when www.thinkgeek.com is a real website.  I'm a nerd / geek and proud of it!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Lol, are we going to petition the willy wonka company to change the name of their candy too?  I guess its not a big deal to change the name, I just have to laugh at the thought of someone honestly being offended by the name when www.thinkgeek.com is a real website.  I'm a nerd / geek and proud of it!!!

Your GPU virtualization stuff is more geek / nerd than these basic tools. Why don't you change the name of that stuff then?

Your proposed name chosen gives no insight into what it contains and it will be referred to for the immediate and indefinite future as people ask how to do basic operation of adding a drive to their array without upsetting the wife or family or to troubleshoot why their array isn't shutting down. Why not name it properly now to avoid seeing it used for the next year or two?

• Confused 1

Your GPU virtualization stuff is more geek / nerd than these basic tools. Why don't you change the name of that stuff then?

Your proposed name chosen gives no insight into what it contains and it will be referred to for the immediate and indefinite future as people ask how to do basic operation of adding a drive to their array without upsetting the wife or family or to troubleshoot why their array isn't shutting down. Why not name it properly now to avoid seeing it used for the next year or two?

OK OK, point taken. Jeez, I was just joking ;-)

• Upvote 2

I think we're going to go with either unRAID Power Tools or CLI Tools.  It really does not matter to us.  It's just a name.

I am a little worried about what dlandon said about removing inotify...  Guess we should probably figure something out for that, eh?

I think we're going to go with either unRAID Power Tools or CLI Tools.  It really does not matter to us.  It's just a name.

I am a little worried about what dlandon said about removing inotify...  Guess we should probably figure something out for that, eh?

Careful with calling it CLI Tools......:D
  • Haha 1

WOW!  I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT!  I TRULY DID AN LMAO WHEN I READ THAT JUST NOW!

Yeah, I think "Power Tools" is probably good to avoid any less than desirable acronyms ;-)

• Thanks 1

There's so many more important things for Eric to work on at the moment, this plugin is a quick stopgap to help get a few power tools installed for novices.

If I remember correctly, this is temporary to aide those who do not want to drop to the command line to install the packages.

I probably would not do the removepkg commands since this doesn't install them into /boot/extra anyway.

Removing the plugin stops them from being installed at next reboot, that's probably enough for now.

It wouldn't be suitable without including finger.

WOW!  I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT!  I TRULY DID AN LMAO WHEN I READ THAT JUST NOW!

Yeah, I think "Power Tools" is probably good to avoid any less than desirable acronyms ;-)

If you aren't careful, my parental controls will block me out.

• Squid unpinned this topic