server locking up yet again...

loady

Suspect some sort of user error for the reason you lost your docker configurations. Maybe you didn't have them saved where you thought.

Not necessary to preclear to change formats. Just make sure the drive you want to change to XFS is empty or at least doesn't have anything you want on it, since reformatting will effectively delete it. Just stop the array and click on the drive from the main page to get to its device settings page and you can change the file system type there. When you start the array unRAID will reformat it. Doesn't take long. The main time consumer is just getting everything off the drive before you do this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, new hdd has arrived today. I will place it in the array and perform a pre clear via console/screen so I can turn pc  off after. Someone mentioned about using rsync to copy the data from drive to drive.. not 100% how to go about this without losing data..do I move via a telnet mc session ? And if so how do I go about so that I can turn off the pc that is running the telnet window ?

Ok, new hdd has arrived today. I will place it in the array and perform a pre clear via console/screen so I can turn pc  off after. Someone mentioned about using rsync to copy the data from drive to drive.. not 100% how to go about this without losing data..do I move via a telnet mc session ? And if so how do I go about so that I can turn off the pc that is running the telnet window ?

Here is a great post discussing how to move or copy files --

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38434.msg357082#msg357082

thanks..not fully confident in doing it alone  ???.

Could someone furnish me with the commands ill need to do the rsync copy within a screen session which will not copy duplicate files (not expecting to have any) and also deleting any empty folders and have the comparison i might need ? as weebotech explained in his post.

i have attached a picture of my disk array and im thinking i should go like this...

preclear new 3tb disk and format to xfs.

copy disk 3 to the new drive

copy disk 1 to disk 3

copy disk 2 to disk 1

copy disk 1 to disk 4

Anything i have missed or should be looking to do ?..im not wholly convinced this is going to solve the crashing..i hold my breath as it is crashing right in front of my eyes after 5 minutes..going to end in tears i think

array.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

weebo has been kindly helping my convert my array to XFS using rsync to move disk to disk...the problem of the server crashing has got worse, i am suspecting one of the disk doesnt like this file moving and it highlighting the problem...weebos gave me some commands to grab the syslog as it crashes. Can anyone gleen any information from it ?...i will be doing smart report and posting them but the server is not booting at moment, its crashing before i can even access GUI...

See my THREAD HERE, namely the last couple of pages, can anyone gleen any more info from it ?

syslog.txt

syslognew.txt

Describe your hardware in detail, you said the sig is out of date. Describe the inventory of hardware.

If you do come up again, configure the webGui to disable autostart.

do not install any plugins or dockers.

You may need to preclear the newly purchased disk on a machine that is doing nothing.

server is not booting at all, my flash drive is a lexar jump drive with a built in LED, i can see activity when the bios is polling it but i am no longer seeing the usual activity as unraid boots from it, i have backed it up and reformatted and also i copied new core files to it and made it bootable but its not booting, when i press the power button on front of tower it just shuts off instantly..usb drive works fine in windows. its just getting worse

server is not booting at all, my flash drive is a lexar jump drive with a built in LED, i can see activity when the bios is polling it but i am no longer seeing the usual activity as unraid boots from it, i have backed it up and reformatted and also i copied new core files to it and made it bootable but its not booting, when i press the power button on front of tower it just shuts off instantly..usb drive works fine in windows. its just getting worse

If it shuts off immediately after pressing the power button, the computer is not getting past its initial setup (probably not even hitting the BIOS)

You've got to hook up a monitor to it and see what is happening

If it shuts off immediately after pressing the power button, the computer is not getting past its initial setup (probably not even hitting the BIOS)

You've got to hook up a monitor to it and see what is happening

if he has done a few hard resets, the usb probably needs to be re-formatted, files copied, and made bootable. I had issues with my old server and a bad powerdown messed up the usb until i reinstalled unraid from scratch on it.

Just hooked up monitor, it passes the motherboard vendor splash screen and sees all the hard drives and then the screen is black and at the top left it just sits saying loading operating system. this is after a Fresh format and reinstall of unraid 6 And just copied my configuration folder over...stick was made bootable

Don't think so, I'll have a look..but I'm sure that 'loading operating system' is an unraid system message..I could be wrong..I'll remove the stick and try to boot server and see if it still appears..I'll have also re downloaded my prokey in case it has got corrupted some how.

Don't think so, I'll have a look..but I'm sure that 'loading operating system' is an unraid system message..I could be wrong..I'll remove the stick and try to boot server and see if it still appears..I'll have also re downloaded my prokey in case it has got corrupted some how.

Normally the first thing that is displayed is a Boot Menu which gives you several choices (the default being the boot unRAID in its normal mode).  If that is not happening then the syslinux boot loader is not even starting.

Not sure what to do..could the usb stick be semi damaged ??...considering I have just formatted it and freshly installed unraid...I did push my configuration folder over to it..could so etching in there be causing this ?

On a freshly installed ISB stick you should always get the unRAID Boot Menu.  If you are not getting that far it is not even getting anywhere near starting to load unRAID.

I believe (could be wrong) that the loading operating system message is from the BIOS.  I don't see what pulling the stick and trying to boot is going to accomplish, since there is nothing to boot from. 

This is going to be either a boot order issue or a bad stick.  Even if the pro key were corrupted, it has nothing to do with the system getting stuck at this point.

Just for giggles, try the booting the stick on your main desktop.  If you get the unraid boot menu then the stick *should* be ok and you can really look at the boot options on the server

placed the stick into my laptop and it booted straight into unraid menu, i have checked the bios settings and they as they were, first boot device is and has always been 'usb-hdd' and always worked....theres just so many possibilities of different failures :( ill try setting the bios to defaults and see what that does.

EDIT: seems to have done the trick, guess the bios must have taken a poop. hopefully now i can get these reports posted

well now its booted up its going for the rebuild of disk3, again ill let it run and hopefully it might finish, i also just started the short smart tests on disk2 and 1 but they seemed to start and sit at 10%, not sure if that is because its performing a rebuild or not but i am now locked out of the GUI,,i can still access telent and shares

i had to hard reboot the server but that data rebuild looked to have completed and was doing a parity check which i stopped, i then started the smart disk test on a drive and it locked up :(...when i rebooted the server it started doing the data rebuild again....again i am leaving it running..this is doing my noggin in