[SOLVED] Windows 10 and SMB

Hello,

A bit ago I updated by long standing unraid build to 5.0.6.  I also setup a new windows 8.1 box.  The box would hit unraid fine at \\tower for awhile and then suddenly stop working.  It then only worked if I hit it by the ip address \\10.1.10.18.  I've since upgraded to windows10 and now I can't hit the unraid box through SMB at all.  I could still hit it via http.

\\tower

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Solomon>net use * \\tower\videos

System error 1240 has occurred.

The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

Any ideas how to get me back up ?

Thanks,

Solomon

Can you get to your Mac from Win 10?

Have you checked on Win 10 forums to see if others are having the same issue?

So a few weird things.  I couldn't access the Mac from win10.  I then setup an account on the Mac side instead of public and then it started working.  So I went to unraid and setup an account for one of my shares.  Win10 was then able to access that share, and suddenly able to access all the other shares without accounts associated with them.

I have seen issues like that with windows 8.1 randomly as well. I usually go in gpedit.msc, Computer Configuration, Widnows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options, and under Network Security:LAN Manager authetnication level I select  Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.  I believe once this is done that issue goes away.

I have seen issues like that with windows 8.1 randomly as well. I usually go in gpedit.msc, Computer Configuration, Widnows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options, and under Network Security:LAN Manager authetnication level I select  Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.  I believe once this is done that issue goes away.

tried these settings with Windows 10 9926 build but still get the error message:

Microsoft Windows Network: The account is not authorized to login from this station.

Had this problem too - it's because Win10 insists on an authenticated SMB login. You can disable it by creating the following value (a DWORD):

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth

Set the value to 1 , it should work straight away then.

• Thanks 1

Had this problem too - it's because Win10 insists on an authenticated SMB login. You can disable it by creating the following value (a DWORD):

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth

This finally fixed it for me.

This fixed it.  You can even switch it back and forth without rebooting and see it work.  Looking at the reported networking issues for windows 10 I see a lot of reports of people unable to hit their NAS boxes.  Hopefully Microsoft figures out it's a problem for their next release.

Thanks for posting the fix, appreciate it.

Solomon

Interesting resolution.    I looked at my Windows 10 registry, and it does NOT have that key, but it also doesn't have the problem.    I'm running the Tech Preview, Build 9841, with all updates applied (just confirmed there are no available updates).    ... and have absolutely no problem seeing or accessing my UnRAID servers.

Interesting resolution.    I looked at my Windows 10 registry, and it does NOT have that key, but it also doesn't have the problem.    I'm running the Tech Preview, Build 9841, with all updates applied (just confirmed there are no available updates).    ... and have absolutely no problem seeing or accessing my UnRAID servers.

9926 was the version just released.  I was able to repro that on two boxes, so I'm curious to see if you repro it on yours if you upgrade.  I just actually saw the same issue on my win7 box too.  Didn't have time to dig into it but adding a password on the share fixed that box up again.  I feel like SMB shares have been pretty squirly since I upgraded unraid to 5.0.6.  Maybe I'll try to throw my backup back on there and see if it fixes things.

I'm on build 9926 - first one I've used so can't comment on previous. This key isn't present in 9926 either, you have to create it. If you look at a network trace, windows is trying to do a SMB2 auth (using your local account as mentioned above) but as soon as Unraid starts to negotiate, windows sends a RST. Mirroring your win account to unraid sounds like it is a more secure fix but haven't tried it as I'm not fussed!

Interesting ... I would have thought that the updates would keep the build up-to-date.    I'll download the latest build and install it from scratch in a VM and see if it has the same issue you've seen (I suspect it will).    I'm definitely surprised that doing all the Windows Updates doesn't keep the Tech Preview up-to-date !!