Total Commander vs. unRAID - Performance warning

olympia

Hello,

I would like to share with you my recent finding concerning my performance issues.

I was struggling for about more than a year now, with low trasfer rate (max. 30-35GB/sec to cache drive) via gigabit network.

I installed 3 different types of Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7) and Linux systems tofigure out the bottleneck.

The transfer rate was OK on Linux (~55MB/s via SMB, 80+MB/s via NFS), so I was looking into every various Windows tweaks.

Unfortunately I was always trying (my bad) with Total Commander on Windows systems until recently I've tried via Windows Explorer (by accident). I don't have to say that I was shocked to see the transfer rate at ~55MB/s.

After a short investigaton, I figured out that the default copy method of Total Commander is causing this.

After set it to compatibility mode in Configuration/option/copy/ to "use compatibility mode..." and set it to every drive by "*" below I was able to reproduce the proper speed in Total Commander as well.

Anyway, the default method is going to be "compatibility mode" from TC 7.5.

So, everybody out there is having similar issues, give this a try.

• 1 month later...

That would explain the abysmal speed I get with TC then..  I'll give it a try when I get home and see if it fixes the speed issues I've had with it (I've noticed in the past that TC was slower than the standard windows copy, just never took the initiative to find out why :P).

Archived