So I moved some data incorrectly, is it gone forever?

korpo53

• I'm in the process of moving things around to sort out some of my fragmentation across disks, and I think I may have lost some data.
    • I excluded disk1 from the user share ISOs
    • Via a SSH session, I went into /mnt/disk1/ISOs and did "mv * /mnt/user/ISOs"
    • Blip, gone, I can't find the data.

It certainly didn't move it all to another disk, as it came back in about half a second with a bunch of complaints about how the file doesn't exist. The data doesn't show up in either the /mnt/user/ISOs folder, the share, or in any of the /mnt/diskX folders.

I realize I should have moved the data to another disk directly rather than via the user share thing, but is it gone for good?

I can replace the data, but if I'm just looking in the wrong place and can run something to fix it, any help would be appreciated.

Yes - you have probably lost some data.    There is a known issue where mixing disk shares and user shares in a move/copy is very likely to cause data loss (unless you make sure that the path within the shares is different).

This issue has been around for a long time, and I believe the reason is that there is no easy way to fix it.