Wake on Lan plugin for unRAID 6.1

dmacias

Wake on Lan for unRAID 6.1

1. Copy the plugin url:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dmacias72/unRAID-WOL/master/plugin/wakeonlan.plg

2. Paste url into install plugin text input and click install

3. Click on status icon to send wake

All comments and sugestions are welcome.

8d7c7edfc7f7698fbeab560c5eebe649.jpg

Change Log

###2018.02.11
- disable ajax cache
###2017.10.03
- fix stickyheaders and css for new themes
- move cdnjs to local

###2017.07.23
- move to separate WOL repository
- restructure, streamline and remove depreciated code
- add individual cell editing
- use ping instead of nmap for status check.
- update namp to 7.50

###2017.04.09

- fix empty ip address resulting in failed scan

###2017.01.29a

- harden code for XSS and CSRF vulnerabilities

- update nmap to 7.40

- fix: blank scan.xml causing errors

- misc code improvements

- add: dynamix plugin update api

###2016.10.24

- fix: ip address variable

- fix: scan not working

###2016.10.22

- update ip address variable

- update code formatting

###2016.09.16

- update tablesorter to 2.27.6

###2016.01.16

- minor diplay changes

- add tablesorter as a separate package

###2016.01.09a

- saved mac address cannot be blank

- minor code changes

###2016.01.09

- move repo to unRaid-plugins

- add tablesorter fork for better sorting and sort save

- add separate tab for scanning

- completely update layout and revise code

###2015.11.21

- minor fixes

###2015.03.05a

- fix default ethernet interface

###2015.02.24

- button bindings when editing

###2015.02.21

- added autosave

- added table sorting

- disable scan function caching

- loading gifs

- show scan results only after scan

- scan ip after wake

###2015.02.20

- initial unRAID 6 release.

Edited by dmacias
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Why not just use your router for WOL?

Not all routers have that function

Oh well then this would be very nice to have then. In not going to lie, my mind is sort of blown that some routers don't have WOL!

I would go out on a limb and say that the majority of routers which people actually use (the built-in ones with the cable/DSL modems) don't support it.

Not one of my DSL modems or Cable modems have ever had that option built-in.  Any of the cheapie routers I've ever bought never had it.  My Asus RT-N66U does however.  You get what you pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

dmacias, I appreciate all of what you are doing - as always.

I have two unRAID boxes and trying to wake the second server up whenever the has to receive files as backup from the main unRaid server.

I guess to do so via script would mean to include something like:

etherwake e0:cb:4e:c1:a6:3d

This command isn't working as well as the pushing the status icon as explained by you. However, using the WakeOnLan V1.0 app by ReadPixel is doing the requested.

Is there anything that I'm missing? The log is unfortunately showing anything.

P.S. Also the WOL function of my router is waking up the 2nd server

dmacias, I appreciate all of what you are doing - as always.

I have two unRAID boxes and trying to wake the second server up whenever the has to receive files as backup from the main unRaid server.

I guess to do so via script would mean to include something like:

etherwake e0:cb:4e:c1:a6:3d

This command isn't working as well as the pushing the status icon as explained by you. However, using the WakeOnLan V1.0 app by ReadPixel is doing the requested.

Is there anything that I'm missing? The log is unfortunately showing anything.

P.S. Also the WOL function of my router is waking up the 2nd server

Yes from the command line you would enter etherwake e0:cb:4e:c1:a6:3d.  What state is the 2nd server in? Shutdown? Standby? Does the plugin show the correct status of the server? Maybe try a different computer.  I only tested with a couple systems.  I'll try some desktops I have too. Unfortunately etherwake just sends the packet to the mac given with no error reporting.

Also did you enter the mac manually or get it from the scan in the plugin when the 2nd server is awake? Try that too. Maybe there's a better command line wol tool too.

I just looked at the options with etherwake -u. It defaults to eth0 so that could be a problem if your system is different. You could also try these from the command line with appropriate values of course. Like eth1 or br0 for ifname and correct ip address.

etherwake -i ifname 00:11:22:33:44:55
etherwake -i ifname -b 192.168.1.1 00:11:22:33:44:55
etherwake -D 00:11:22:33:44:55

But either way I'll add the unRAID interface name to the command in the plugin.

Hi dmacias,

the second server is on Standby (sent to sleep via echo -n mem >/sys/power/state). The plugin on server #1 is showing the correct status and I added it by using the network scan of your plugin.

Here are the results:

etherwake -i ifname E0:CB:4E:C1:A6:3D
SIOCGIFHWADDR on ifname failed: No such device

etherwake -i ifname e0:cb:4e:c1:a6:3d
SIOCGIFHWADDR on ifname failed: No such device

etherwake -i ifname -b 192.168.178.10 e0:cb:4e:c1:a6:3d
ether-wake: The Magic Packet host address must be specified as
  - a station address, 00:11:22:33:44:55, or
  - a hostname with a known 'ethers' entry.

This on is working:

etherwake -D -i br0 -b E0:CB:4E:C1:A6:3D

A (minor) request: would you mind to add a button that is sending the server to sleep? Works for me by using:

echo -n mem >/sys/power/state

I was thinking about adding a suspend button. You want a button to suspend server 2 and/or server 1?

Thanks a lot dmacias, works like a charm now  :D

This is helping me to automate my backups as I don't need to wake up at 4:00 every night to start my backup server  ;)

The suspend button is not urgent. So thanks a lot once more.

Your welcome.  That gives me some ideas on adding cron jobs.

This is very nice.  Thank you!

No problem. Happy others find it useful.

• 5 months later...

Very nice, thank you! I was just looking for this. I'm one of those that doesn't have a modem/router that has WOL function.

Your welcome. Some day maybe scripts or cron jobs.  I login to unRAID more often than anything so I like having it all in one place. Same goes for my ipmi plugin. I could login to the ipmi web page or login to my router but this is more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

The app does not seem to remember anything i add to the top list, whether I add it manually(and press the save icon) or if i scan and add that way. When i exit and leave, and then return, everything is blank. Is this working as intended? I would expect it to remember the top list.

No the top list should be automatically saved to your flash drive. Check if you have a file on you flash config/plugins/wol/wol.xml.  What version of unRAID are you using and what browser.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I performed a reboot on my server and now the WOL plugin does not show in settings anymore...I deleted and re-downloaded the plugin, but a puzzle piece is shown for the plugin....When I click it it brings me to a blank page....Is there something wrong with the latest update?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

I performed a reboot on my server and now the WOL plugin does not show in settings anymore...I deleted and re-downloaded the plugin, but a puzzle piece is shown for the plugin....When I click it it brings me to a blank page....Is there something wrong with the latest update?

Thanks.

I'm not sure why that happens. I uninstalled and reinstalled and had the same result. I just pushed a new version. Just changed the date in the plg file. Removed the puzzle piece plugin and reinstalled. Works fine for me now.

Hi,

Thanks.

I'm not sure why that happens. I uninstalled and reinstalled and had the same result. I just pushed a new version. Just changed the date in the plg file. Removed the puzzle piece plugin and reinstalled. Works fine for me now.

Thanks!

Uninstalled and re-installed and it is working again...