Copying data from ext3 drive

Hi,

I have a 1TB drive that was in my Popcorn Hour. Copying from the PCH over the LAN is very slow, so I took the drive out and attached to a SATA cable in my unRAID server.

I attempted to mount the drive, but I can't do this in unMENU's Disk Management tab -- there's no option to mount it. I did mount NTFS drives succesfully, but not ext3.

Can anyone help me with this?

Many thanks,

Neil.

2q33qmr.png

It is not presenting an option to mount it because it does not seem to recognize the type of the file-system as one it can mount.

I know I recently uploaded a new plug-in version of the disk management page.  Are you using it? or the original version of disk-management built into unmenu.awk?

It is named "09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk" so you can look to see if you have it.  If not, it is attached to this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg30513#msg30513

You will need to stop unMENU and re-start it to have it add the new plug-in to the top menu.

Type

fdisk -l /dev/sd?

to see the partitioning. (where the ? needs to be the correct letter for your newly added drive)

Then, try

vol_id /dev/sd?1

to see the file-system type (assuming it is on partition 1)

If it shows itself as ext3, you will need to add a new line to your unmenu.conf or unmenu_local.conf file for the mount options. 

The line should look like this:

MOUNT_OPTIONS ext3     = -r -t ext2

That line is not a mistake.  ext3 is not compiled as a module in unRAID, but an ext3 file-system can be mounted as an ext2.  You can use the Config View/Edit page to edit this file.

You can also add a line in unmenu.conf (or unmenu_local.conf) that will let you edit the plug-in with the same editor.  You can add the line anywhere, just change the path to be the full path to your plug-in file.  You will probably need to refresh the Config View/Edit page to have it re-populate the list of files available to be edited.

Add:

EDITABLE_FILE = /boot/unmenu/09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk

Edit: I scrolled over, it sees the file-system as ext3.    I also looked at my plug-in.

Around line 559 of 09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk, there is a line like this:

if ( fs == "ntfs" || fs == "reiserfs" || fs == "ext2" || fs == "vfat" ) {

change it to be like this:

if ( fs == "ntfs" || fs == "reiserfs" || fs == "ext2" || fs == "vfat" || fs == "ext3" ) {

Use an editor that does not add carriage returns when you do the editing. (or add an EDITABLE_FILE line as shown above and use the built-in editor)

Once you add the line to unmenu.conf for ext3 to be mounted as ext2, and modify the one line in the plug-in, it should mount.

Joe L.

Thanks for your quick reply. I installed the new version of 09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk and here's what unmenu.conf looks like now:

# Define per-filesystem mount options.

MOUNT_OPTIONS reiserfs = -r -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs

MOUNT_OPTIONS ntfs-3g  = -r -o umask=111,dmask=000 -t ntfs-3g

MOUNT_OPTIONS vfat     = -r -t vfat

MOUNT_OPTIONS msdos    = -r -t msdos

MOUNT_OPTIONS ext2     = -r -t ext2

Does that look right?

I rebooted, but still have no option to mount the ext3 partition?

Thanks for your quick reply. I installed the new version of 09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk and here's what unmenu.conf looks like now:

# Define per-filesystem mount options.

MOUNT_OPTIONS reiserfs = -r -o noatime,nodiratime -t reiserfs

MOUNT_OPTIONS ntfs-3g  = -r -o umask=111,dmask=000 -t ntfs-3g

MOUNT_OPTIONS vfat     = -r -t vfat

MOUNT_OPTIONS msdos    = -r -t msdos

MOUNT_OPTIONS ext2     = -r -t ext2

Does that look right?

I rebooted, but still have no option to mount the ext3 partition?

I just updated my first post... You are faster than me... ;D

When you edit the plug-in and save the changed version, you only need to refresh it in unMENU in the browser, no need to reboot or re-start unMENU this time..

Thanks again. Nearly there!

When mounting, I'm getting:

/dev/sdf3 mounted on /mnt/disk/sdf3

Using command: mount -r -t ext3 /dev/sdf3 /mnt/disk/sdf3 2>&1

mount: invalid option --

Did I make a typo or paste-o somewhere?

}
                    } else {
                        if ( fs == "ntfs" || fs == "reiserfs" || fs == "ext2" || fs == "vfat" || fs == "ext3" ) {
                            unassigned_drive = unassigned_drive "<td ><input type=submit name=\"mount-"
                            unassigned_drive = unassigned_drive device[a] "-" fs "\" value=\"Mount /dev/" device[a] "\"</td>"
                            unassigned_drive = unassigned_drive "<td width=\"5*\"></td>"

Thanks again. Nearly there!

When mounting, I'm getting:

/dev/sdf3 mounted on /mnt/disk/sdf3

Using command: mount -r -t ext3 /dev/sdf3 /mnt/disk/sdf3 2>&1

mount: invalid option --

Did I make a typo or paste-o somewhere?

}
                    } else {
                            unassigned_drive = unassigned_drive "<td ><input type=submit name=\"mount-"
                            unassigned_drive = unassigned_drive device[a] "-" fs "\" value=\"Mount /dev/" device[a] "\"</td>"
                            unassigned_drive = unassigned_drive "<td width=\"5*\"></td>"

I think you did fine so far... It is complaining (I think) because it is trying to use "-t ext3" rather than "-t ext2"

The only way I can see that happening is if your new line added to unmenu.conf was not read.

Did you add it to unmenu.conf or unmenu_local.conf?

What editor did you use?

Did you re-start unMENU ( either reboot entire server, or

killall awk

followed by

/boot/unmenu/uu

You can try this on the command line and see if it succeeds:

mount -r -t ext2 /dev/sdf3 /mnt/disk/sdf3

mount: mount point /mnt/disk/sdf3 does not exist

Then you can create it.  It just needs to be an empty directory.

mkdir /mnt/disk

mkdir /mnt/disk/sdf3

root@Tower:~# mkdir /mnt/disk

root@Tower:~# mkdir /mnt/disk/sdf3

root@Tower:~# mount -r -t ext2 /dev/sdf3 /mnt/disk/sdf3

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf3,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail  or so

:(

mount: mount point /mnt/disk/sdf3 does not exist

I used Wordpad, then notepad2

Wordpad probably messed it up.

This should fix it

cd /boot/unmenu

fromdos <unmenu.conf >unmenu.conf.new

mv unmenu.conf.new unmenu.conf

root@Tower:~# mkdir /mnt/disk

root@Tower:~# mkdir /mnt/disk/sdf3

root@Tower:~# mount -r -t ext2 /dev/sdf3 /mnt/disk/sdf3

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf3,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail  or so

:(

Interesting... are you sure that the file-system is on the third partition? and not the first? 

I've never mounted an ext2 or 3 partition in my server... but either the partition is not compatible with the ext2 driver in unRAID, or you are trying the wrong partition.

Other than that, I cannot offer any other ideas... as far as I knew, an ext3 was mountable as an ext2.

Joe L.

Yeah, I think I'm giving up on this one. sdf1 mounts, but this has only the NMT apps, not the data. I'll put it back in the PCH, and copy over the LAN overnight.

Thanks for trying though!

Sorry... if sdf1 mounts, then there must be something unusual with sdf3.

Good try though.  Might ask in a popcorn-hour forum if there is any wierdness?

Yeah, I think I'm giving up on this one. sdf1 mounts, but this has only the NMT apps, not the data. I'll put it back in the PCH, and copy over the LAN overnight.

Thanks for trying though!

Sorry... if sdf1 mounts, then there must be something unusual with sdf3.

Good try though.  Might ask in a popcorn-hour forum if there is any wierdness?

There is already some documented weirdness -- the A-110 has a USB host connection, but with the latest firmware, it won't let you access files from that connection, making it completely useless. It may have something to do with this partition issue.

PErhaps this link has the answer: http://www.fs-driver.org/faq.html#acc_ext3

It is backwards compatible, but to be mounted, it appears as if you must first run the e2fsck tool on the volume if it was not cleanly un-mounted.

The Ext2 file system driver of the Ext2 IFS software will refuse mounting an Ext3 file system which contains data in its journal, just like older Linux kernels which have no Ext3 support. In this way data loss and damaging the file system is avoided when the journal is subsequently replayed. So you can access only those Ext3 volumes with the Ext2 IFS software which have been cleanly dismounted beforehand.

Yes, if you have a working system where you can mount the ext3 partition, you can use a couple of different approaches to make it mountable under ext2.  If you don't have a second system, you can try one of the bootable distros with the appropriate tools.

Don't forget, I did manage to mount one of the ext3 partitions -- just not the one I wanted...

;D

Perhaps you just needed to run e2fsck on the one you could not mount.  It might not have been cleanly un-mounted.

I believe it was cleanly mounted, as when put back in the PCH, it booted quickly -- if it was not cleanly unmounted, the boot process takes a very long time. I think there's something weird with the data partition.