Disk Health on Unassigned devices

It would be useful to be able to click on an Unassigned devices (under Main->Unassigned Devices) and get up the Disk Health information just as you can for Assigned devices.  This would enable you to check on the health of such disks before assigning them to the array without the need to descend to using the command line. 

Possibly make this also available from the Dashboard as it is for assigned devices?

There was a big licensing discussion about these unassigned devices and managing them.

I think once we start requesting management functions on unassigned devices, then they will count towards the total unRAID license count.

I had suggested a new pool of 'managed devices' so people can take unassigned devices,

Add them to licensed management functionality and still have spare spindles usable for emergency recovery without counting against licenses.

Functions as far as managed devices would be.

Health monitoring

Spin control

Preclearing.

Formatting.

SNAP mounting.

... I think once we start requesting management functions on unassigned devices, then they will count towards the total unRAID license count.

Good point.  I suspect that's in fact the case.  Shouldn't be an issue for Pro licenses, but for Basic or Plus that would eliminate doing this for unassigned devices unless there were unused slots in the array.

... I think once we start requesting management functions on unassigned devices, then they will count towards the total unRAID license count.

Good point.  I suspect that's in fact the case.  Shouldn't be an issue for Pro licenses, but for Basic or Plus that would eliminate doing this for unassigned devices unless there were unused slots in the array.

Sounds perfectly fair to me. I doubt limetech will limit in any way the ability add devices as we do now, so you could still manage them yourself, but if they add support, management and reporting into the gui and you use their slots they deserve to get paid for the effort.