[unRAID 6 beta14+] Unassigned Devices [former Auto Mount USB]

I added a note at the top of this topic.

"Not 100% Compatible with 6.1.6"

I've not used this and didn't want to label it not Verified for 6.1 either. Unless its never worked for 6.1?

It's not really a 6.1.6 compatibility problem.  It is just buggy past the 2015.09.19 version.

Why don't you say the latest version is not currently working properly and will be worked on?

Is there a way to find out what files are created/altered when installing this plugin so it can be uninstalled completely? In the future I can definitely see someone creating a "clean up" type plugin that will remove old/stale files that aren't used or needed anymore.

EDIT: I guess the better question would be, where is the log(s) created when you install a plugin? I guess those would be able to tell what has happened. From trying out previous plugins and then uninstalling them my USB stick is looking like a mess. I do eventually want to clean up the mess. I guess the only real way to do %100 house cleaning would be create a fresh unraid USB stick with no plugins then just install again what's needed.

SNAP is incompatible with unraid V6.1 and will not work.

Attached is a modified plugin I created to install the last version of unassigned devices that works for me.  Copy this file to your flash drive, then go to the Plugins->Install Plugin tab and select the 'unassigned.devices.plg' on your flash.  This will install the 2015.09.19 version and won't try to update to the later versions.

I don't know what features the later versions offered.  I think gfjardim was rewriting some things and left them half done.

This is the best I think we can do until gfjardim returns to update unassigned devices.  I am not interested in picking up yet another abandoned plugin, but if gfjardim does not return, I may move this version to my own github repository so users can at least have a version that works.  We'd have to see how it goes from there.

Thank you! :)

Unassigned devices does not uninstall very cleanly.  If you remove the plugin before installing my suggested version, you will have to reboot or you may experience a failure in the plugin because the previous plugin package is not removed.

I posted a couple pull requests over a month ago on github about the install and remove problem before I realized he was mia.  I started using his method of plugin packaging and found this out. It has to do with using installpkg and removepkg on non slackware formated txz package names.  You can fix it in your version by changing the file names downloaded to unassigned.devices-2015.09.19-x86_64-1.txz

Is there a way to find out what files are created/altered when installing this plugin so it can be uninstalled completely? In the future I can definitely see someone creating a "clean up" type plugin that will remove old/stale files that aren't used or needed anymore.

EDIT: I guess the better question would be, where is the log(s) created when you install a plugin? I guess those would be able to tell what has happened. From trying out previous plugins and then uninstalling them my USB stick is looking like a mess. I do eventually want to clean up the mess. I guess the only real way to do %100 house cleaning would be create a fresh unraid USB stick with no plugins then just install again what's needed.

The issue is package management.  Older packages for the gui are not removed or updated in place but the gui files are deleted.  This confuses the package manager and things get out of sync causing issues.  I've pointed this out in a development post that it is an issue in many plugins.  The dynamix plugins have been fixed and don't have this problem. I will fix it eventually in the unassigned devices plugin.

The issue is package management.  Older packages for the gui are not removed or updated in place but the gui files are deleted.  This confuses the package manager and things get out of sync causing issues.  I've pointed this out in a development post that it is an issue in many plugins.  The dynamix plugins have been fixed and don't have this problem. I will fix it eventually in the unassigned devices plugin.

See my post above it's really a naming issue.  If your gonna use installpkg and removepkg the packages should be formatted like this

packagename-version-architecture-buildnumber.tgz I also had to rename a couple plugins because they were named the same as the program package. e.g. shellinabox had to become to shellinabox-plugin

Attached is a modified plugin I created to install the last version of unassigned devices that works for me.  Copy this file to your flash drive, then go to the Plugins->Install Plugin tab and select the 'unassigned.devices.plg' on your flash.  This will install the 2015.09.19 version and won't try to update to the later versions.

I don't know what features the later versions offered.  I think gfjardim was rewriting some things and left them half done.

This is the best I think we can do until gfjardim returns to update unassigned devices.  I am not interested in picking up yet another abandoned plugin, but if gfjardim does not return, I may move this version to my own github repository so users can at least have a version that works.  We'd have to see how it goes from there.

Thank you! :)

Unassigned devices does not uninstall very cleanly.  If you remove the plugin before installing my suggested version, you will have to reboot or you may experience a failure in the plugin because the previous plugin package is not removed.

Noted, good advice, Ta!

I wonder if it's worth a Mod amending the first post of this thread with this option/file to mark the plugin broken or something in the short term to prevent new users adding it in the first place? I wonder if there is a flag in CA to mark it as broken (and I use this term with a light heart because I know functionally 99% of it is sound) too?

I want to wait and see if this really fixes issues for users.  I assume it is working for you?  Squid can black list this plugin in CA, but I don't want to be that dramatic yet.  If we go this route, I would spend a little time to clean up the removal and update of the plugin.  Even updating the plugin is messy and I've had to reboot after an update.

I'm really hoping gfjardim will come to the rescue and at least just fix the outstanding issues.  The plugin doesn't really need any enhancements at this point.  One of the later versions lets a drive be mounted as a NFS share but I don't see that as a desperate need right now.

Blacklisting is definitely premature.  However if the plugin is incompatible with 6.1.x I can set it so it won't install through CA.

Alternatively, from a glance at this thread (i don't follow it nor do I use thing plg), it does appear that it is a candidate for a mod comment within CA.  But I would need some one to actually come up with a decent comment to put against the plugin with CA

I've reworded the notice in the first post, and included a link to dlandon's post with alternate plugin, plus a comment based on dlandon's 'reboot' tip.  I or any other moderator can continue making any other desired changes, until gfjardim is back.

Just thought I would chime in with my experience.

As far as I know I am using the latest version without issue. My use may not be typical. I usually only mount a single NTFS drive for as long as it takes to rsync update my offsite backup disk, less than 30 minutes. I do use the scripting capability to trigger my backup when the disk is mounted. In addition to that I usually access preclear from this page but that doesn't mount any partitions of course.

I would hate to see this go away, but I do know how to mount my disks from the command line as documented in the wiki.

I'll work up an alternate plugin hosted on my github that will be based on the 2015.09.19 version and fix the install/update so it will be cleaner.  I can then address the color issue from the dynamix bleeding edge plugin.

It would then show up in ca as one of my plugins.  Squid, you can help with how to differentiate the versions in ca?  Maybe say the original author is indisposed at the moment and the dlandon plugin is a temporary alternate?

I'm really reluctant to do this because I am nowhere as good as gfjardim and don't know if I can fill his shoes.  I'll do what I can to help those that depend on this plugin like I do though.

As far as I know I am using the latest version without issue. My use may not be typical. I usually only mount a single NTFS drive for as long as it takes to rsync update my offsite backup disk, less than 30 minutes. I do use the scripting capability to trigger my backup when the disk is mounted. In addition to that I usually access preclear from this page but that doesn't mount any partitions of course.

I would hate to see this go away, but I do know how to mount my disks from the command line as documented in the wiki.

One of the things you'd see in the latest version is the run in the background switch for the script is missing.  I have devices the are not recognized properly.  The serial numbers are all zeroes so I can't mount them.

I'll do what I can to fix this plugin.  Rolling back the version fixes most, if not all of the issues that I know of and is the best starting point to move forward.

One problem is that the log file grows so rapidly there's a danger of running out of ramdisk space. The tmpfs mounted on /var/log normally sits at around 3% used shortly after a reboot and the plugin not installed. You can monitor it via the Dashboard page of the web UI (flash : log : docker). Two days after installing the plugin the log usage was at 34% and two days later at 52%, at which point I uninstalled the plugin and rebooted. 3 days and 12 hours of uptime later log usage is at 4%.

I just looked at my unassigned.devices.log and the error only repeated 4 times today. So it is not filling my log space up quickly. I wonder why yours is filling up so much so quickly?

Mine was doing this too. One thing with my device, it was under constant use all day every day as my VM's and Dockers run off it. Not sure if that makes any difference?

One of the things you'd see in the latest version is the run in the background switch for the script is missing.  I have devices the are not recognized properly.  The serial numbers are all zeroes so I can't mount them.

I'll do what I can to fix this plugin.  Rolling back the version fixes most, if not all of the issues that I know of and is the best starting point to move forward.

You're instructions have worked perfectly for me and have resolved any notable issue that I can see. Thanks again!

If there is anything I can do to help with testing please let me know - I do rely on the ability to mount a disk outside the array heavily in my setup!

you sir, are a true gent.

That previous version has worked a treat for me.

Now the hideous task of migrating my VMs and Docker to the new drive

I've added moderator comments within CA for this:

Untitled_zpsppntwjz7.png

If/when gfjardim updates this plugin, then he can issue a pull request to remove those comments.  Or, if dlandon releases a fixed version of this plugin (and puts it into his repository) then (after letting me know), I will change the comment to point towards his version.

(someone will have to let me know as I don't use nor follow the goings on with this plugin)

Untitled_zpsppntwjz7.png

If/when gfjardim updates this plugin, then he can issue a pull request to remove those comments.  Or, if dlandon releases a fixed version of this plugin (and puts it into his repository) then (after letting me know), I will change the comment to point towards his version.

Thank you.

I am just about done with a forked version that reverts back to 2015.09.19 and adds the fix for the color issue with 6.1.7.  I'll ask a few to give it a test run and if ok, I'll make it available as one of my plugins and you can then refer to my forked plugin.

Untitled_zpsppntwjz7.png

Thank you.

I am just about done with a forked version that reverts back to 2015.09.19 and adds the fix for the color issue with 6.1.7.  I'll ask a few to give it a test run and if ok, I'll make it available as one of my plugins and you can then refer to my forked plugin.

No problems... Anything to stop a whack of recurring support issues.

After your release I'll point everyone to yours, and then if nothing has changed in a couple of months I'll remove gfjardim's from CA

I have forked a copy of unassigned devices that reverts back to 2015.09.19 that doesn't have the issues the later versions have.  I have updated the plugin for unraid 6.1.7 and cleaned up the update/removal that was a bit messy.  The plugin will work properly on 6.1.6 also.

I'd like to get someone to give it a try and let me know if there are any issues.  You don't have to uninstall the current version of unassigned devices.  Just paste the following link in the install plugin tab and the current version of unassigned devices will be updated.

https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/raw/master/unassigned.devices.plg

Treat this as a beta that may have issues.  If all seems to be ok, I will release it through ca and Squid can add the appropriate link to the gfjardim version.  Be sure to check the unassigned devices log for the repeating log entries that some have seen.

I believe there may be one outstanding issue that I will look into.  It seems that SMB mounted devices may not be unmounted on an array shutdown.  If anyone can test that would be great as I don't currently use that functionality and will have to set up my test server so I can check this out.

Ever see this?

unassigneddevices.jpg

Ever see this?

unassigneddevices.jpg

Yes.  What version of unassigned devices do you have installed?

I uninstalled unassigneddevices plugin via the plugin page. Rebooted. Then I kept getting a snag pop-up about dockers not enabled because my docker IMG file is on one of my unassigned drives - makes sense. I disregarded that pop-up temporarily and installed YOUR version of unassigneddevices via a lookup within Community Applications. Rebooted again and the docker pop-up went away and things look normal so far. No errors in the unassigned.devices.log and my unassigneddevices shares came up as normal. Thanks for taking care of this.

Using this version now - 2016.01.16a

dockernotenabled.jpg.08de8b3f44776785976e86b2f7aad407.jpg

I have forked a copy of unassigned devices that reverts back to 2015.09.19 that doesn't have the issues the later versions have.  I have updated the plugin for unraid 6.1.7 and cleaned up the update/removal that was a bit messy.  The plugin will work properly on 6.1.6 also.

I'd like to get someone to give it a try and let me know if there are any issues.  You don't have to uninstall the current version of unassigned devices.  Just paste the following link in the install plugin tab and the current version of unassigned devices will be updated.

Treat this as a beta that may have issues.  If all seems to be ok, I will release it through ca and Squid can add the appropriate link to the gfjardim version.  Be sure to check the unassigned devices log for the repeating log entries that some have seen.

I believe there may be one outstanding issue that I will look into.  It seems that SMB mounted devices may not be unmounted on an array shutdown.  If anyone can test that would be great as I don't currently use that functionality and will have to set up my test server so I can check this out.

Thanks for the fix dlandon, was looking into this plugin to see if my files were still on a disk I didn't want to include in the array and have rebuilt yet.

I can help with testing this but I am new to UNRAID and can't find the log to check for the extra entries. Also with the other issue you mentioned, does the SMB mounted device need to be setup in any particular way? If you can guide me through what info you need reported and what needs to be done, will be happy to help.

Thanks for the fix dlandon, was looking into this plugin to see if my files were still on a disk I didn't want to include in the array and have rebuilt yet.

I can help with testing this but I am new to UNRAID and can't find the log to check for the extra entries. Also with the other issue you mentioned, does the SMB mounted device need to be setup in any particular way? If you can guide me through what info you need reported and what needs to be done, will be happy to help.

Click on the Help button on the main menu bar and you'll see the line about the log.

The issue with the smb unmount is when stopping the array. It was posted in another thread about this.  Mount an smb device and thn stop the array and see if the array stops.  You should be prepared to go to a command line to shutdown if necessary.  A better way might be to install the open files plugin and use it to manage the array stop.

@dlandon Thanks for your work here. What's the correct way to uninstall the old unassigned devices plug-in cleanly?  It was mentioned that simply uninstalling it may not clean up everything properly.

Cheers.

The removal of the older unassigned devices leaves packages behind that can interfere with an update or new install of the older versions.  I have changed the way the gui files are installed and it is not a problem now.  You can remove the existing plugin and then install my version from ca and it will be clean.  Your settings will be kept.

• Squid locked this topic