3 Adaptec 1430SA Cards in one system

abq-pete

My 3rd card arrived today so I disabled the bios (via another system), popped it in my system, attached a few spare drives, and booted it up.  Success.  My current configuration should support the 21 drives maximum using the following setup:

Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard

On board ICH7R - 8 SATA Connections

3 x Adaptec 1430SA - 12 SATA Connections

1 x Syba PCI SATA - 2 SATA Connection (although only one is used for the cache drive)

Although I have easily enough drives to max the system, I have not done so due to reports of issues on using more than 15 drives (data) in the system.  Instead, I have been replacing the smaller (?!?!?!?) 1TB drives with 2TB drives in order to increase capacity.

Regards,  Peter

A few more specs:

Intel D975XBX2 with 3 Adaptec 1430SA in the 16x, 8x and 4x PCI-Express slots

Syba PCI-SATA card in one of the PCI Slots

ATI Radeon PCI Video card in the other PCI Slot

Intel E2180 CPU

4GB RAM

Corsair HX620 Power Supply

Norco 4020 Case

18 Drives (Mix of 1TB and 2TB WD Greenpower drives) (not all added to array)

Boot time is about 2:40, Parity check is about 45Mb/s

Regards,  Peter

• 2 years later...

My 3rd card arrived today so I disabled the bios (via another system), popped it in my system, attached a few spare drives, and booted it up.  Success.  My current configuration should support the 21 drives maximum using the following setup:

Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard

On board ICH7R - 8 SATA Connections

3 x Adaptec 1430SA - 12 SATA Connections

1 x Syba PCI SATA - 2 SATA Connection (although only one is used for the cache drive)

Although I have easily enough drives to max the system, I have not done so due to reports of issues on using more than 15 drives (data) in the system.  Instead, I have been replacing the smaller (?!?!?!?) 1TB drives with 2TB drives in order to increase capacity.

Regards,  Peter

Hi, i just want to check that installing one Adaptec 1430SA in my system will work (i guess it does since Peter achieved it). My question is, what are the steps I need to follow to install the new card? Is there anything in particular I need to take into account? Or I just switch the unraid server down, install the card, put some disks on it, and switch the system back on?