Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB

RobJ

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

I consider this drive a Good Deal, not so much for the price (although $90 with free shipping is not bad), but for the performance.  It is one of the new Seagate 7200.12 series drives, a 2 platter design, and reviews are reporting that it seems relatively reliable and quiet, and VERY fast.  One user timed it with the hdparm -tT test at almost 122MB/s, which makes it one of the fastest drives out there.  From what I read, I think this drive may be an excellent unRAID parity drive, at the 1TB size point.

Forgot to add that if you are interested in this drive, from Newegg, check out their Combo deals for it.  It may be a mistake, but one of them includes a copy of Acronis True Image Home 2009 OEM, supposedly a $40 value, for FREE!

It's no mistake.  I received 2 copies of Acronis TrueImage Home 2009 when I picked up 2 WD 1TB drives from Newegg a while back...

My suggestion with Newegg is to get everything in your cart, then go to each item and view combo deals to see if they match anything you have, find the highest value or most interesting items, then go on to the next item...and check both ways for the best deals...ie: check both items.  I still won't buy drives from Newegg due to their crappy packaging of OEM drives.  ZipZoomFly for me from now on.

I have to say that I've bought at least 20 hard drives from NewEgg and I've never had a problem with a drive arriving DOA or with serious problems. Plus, Marketing 101 will tell you that people are 10 times more likely to complain about a bad experience than a good experience.  As for the drive... its almost too good to pass up except for the fact I just bought 2 1.5tb drives last week.  Maybe my aging cache drive will die off

(As a side note, almost all of the drives (except 3 or 4) that I've owned from 1993 to now still work! The extremely old ones may not get a great deal of usage now but its nice to fire up my old dual P Pro 200 with Win2000 on it every once in awhile.)

Archived