[DOCKER] Handbrake GUI + Automation via CLI

Made a handbrake GUI container based on hurricane's rather excellent TMM container

you can find it in my main repo.

Absolutely must reiterate this would not be possible or as good as it is without the stunning work done by hurricane hernandez.

2/5/2015

BUMPED to handbrake-gtk version 0.10.1

ADDED gnome theme pack to fix icons, thanks aptalca.

6/5/2015

ADDED the CLI version of handbrake that can be scripted. there is a sample script that you will find in a sub folder to wherever you map the config folder , along with a sub folder for watch-folder.

edit the script to suit your needs, by default it's set for ipad preset and mp4 output., you can change to whatever preset you wish.

you can also completely replace the script if you wish, providing you keep the same output folder etc....

git repo https://github.com/sparklyballs/desktop-dockers/tree/master/handbrake

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I went through the repo and I'm starting to understand how it comes together.

Would you and hurricane be interested in creating a base image/container for this? It would include all the common files and settings, like setting the unraid user, copying the guac server files, xrdp, etc.

That way, whenever someone develops a new docker, they can use that base as a starting point which will lead to

1) significant space saving as the base image (several hundred megs I presume) would be shared between different containers the same way phusion base is

2) Updates and installs would be much faster

3) Building containers for the devs would be much faster

I created a base image/container for my rdp stuff: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/aptalca/docker-rdp-base/dockerfile/ which only has xrdp, lxde and wget installed and my build time went from 25min to 5 min because docker simply imports the already built base image

In my rdp based dockers, instead of doing FROM phusion:baseimage, I do FROM aptalca:docker-rdp-base

What do you think?

OK, I went through the repo and I'm starting to understand how it comes together.

Would you and hurricane be interested in creating a base image/container for this? It would include all the common files and settings, like setting the unraid user, copying the guac server files, xrdp, etc.

That way, whenever someone develops a new docker, they can use that base as a starting point which will lead to

1) significant space saving as the base image (several hundred megs I presume) would be shared between different containers the same way phusion base is

I created a base image/container for my rdp stuff: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/aptalca/docker-rdp-base/dockerfile/ which only has xrdp, lxde and wget installed and my build time went from 25min to 5 min because docker simply imports the already built base image

In my rdp based dockers, instead of doing FROM phusion:baseimage, I do FROM aptalca:docker-rdp-base

What do you think?

the person to ask would be hurricane.

What do you think?

although personally i think it adds another layer of maintenance above already having the maintenance of dockers dependant on authors.

Good morning!

I would be more than happy to adjust the existing container in order to create the base. I really hate doing documentation though and would rather have someone else do that. I will fork my own project and create the base. PS This container took tons of testing. I tested noVNC, xvfb with X11VNC, guac, Xvnc and X11rdp. X11rdp was the best for performance but there were some font issue where check marks wouldn't show never figured out why. I might test out again later in the year when X11rdp has had more development. X11rdp also allowed for dynamic resolutions which was awesome.  Anyhow xvfb with X11VNC was too slow, there was too much of a delay because the virtual X11 server was not optimized for vnc. In the end by going with Xvnc as the virtual server I was able to get performance as close to as X11rdp. I will include in the base project to branches an Xvnc and an X11rdp. Each of you can play around with each branch and decide what is best for them. PS with X11rdp using a mac rdp client showed no issues what so ever.

Good morning!

I would be more than happy to adjust the existing container in order to create the base. I really hate doing documentation though and would rather have someone else do that. I will fork my own project and create the base. PS This container took tons of testing. I tested noVNC, xvfb with X11VNC, guac, Xvnc and X11rdp. X11rdp was the best for performance but there were some font issue where check marks wouldn't show never figured out why. I might test out again later in the year when X11rdp has had more development. X11rdp also allowed for dynamic resolutions which was awesome.  Anyhow xvfb with X11VNC was too slow, there was too much of a delay because the virtual X11 server was not optimized for vnc. In the end by going with Xvnc as the virtual server I was able to get performance as close to as X11rdp. I will include in the base project to branches an Xvnc and an X11rdp. Each of you can play around with each branch and decide what is best for them. PS with X11rdp using a mac rdp client showed no issues what so ever.

the way i recondensed your scripts back into a more trad Dockerfile lends itself to the possibility of a "put your code here and change this" scenario.

check the git

https://github.com/sparklyballs/desktop-dockers/tree/master/handbrake

just need to swap in your code for fetching your app in the main dockerfile, change the app name in noauth-config.xml

and xrdp.ini (not crucial, just gives better appearance and less confusion for user)

finally change up the autostart file to whatever your app needs to start, work out where your app stores config and make the neccessary changes in your template.xml.