Wiki editors needed

Calling all wiki editors!  It's time to bring it up to date!

As we all know, the unRAID wiki is woefully out of date.  So I'm reserving this thread for wiki discussion, for anyone that might be interested in helping to update it, or in locating and noting what needs updating.

I'm proposing we start using the talk pages that are built into MediaWiki wiki pages, to add notes and comments about what's needed on that page.  The associated talk page is opened when you click on the discussion tab at the left top of any wiki page.  Comments can be completely free form, as it's not considered public.  I would suggest though that a To Do list style format might be the most organized, with items listed and any appropriate notes next to the item.  Then maybe add a [Done] next to them (when done!).

There are 2 types of people we need, those who are willing to do the actual editing, and those who may feel uncomfortable doing that, but who can review pages and note in the Talk page what is old, out-dated, wrong, could be improved, or needs to be removed.  Setting up to do lists may be the most important job to begin with.

There is info that could be removed, but I suspect there will be differing ideas about that, what can be removed, what should be kept but deprecated, and what should be separated into sections labeled for the applicable unRAID versions.  Discussion could be here or in the Talk pages.  There will be quite a bit of info that will need v4, v5, and v6 labeled sections, and there may be alternative ways to handle that, like separate wiki pages some of the time.

Some pages and sections have a single or primary author, and it would be great that, if anyone feels personally responsible for any page or section, that they update it them self.  But the wiki is a total community effort, and we should all feel free to ensure its accuracy.  I can say personally that no one should feel hesitant about editing anything I have ever done.  It belongs to the community, not the author.

Just a reminder, there are pages that are considered "official" information, to be edited by LimeTech staff only.  Usually it's clear which ones those are.  I don't think they would mind comments in the Talk page though, but we need to hear from them about that.

Finally, if you're shy about editing, see Start Contributing.  You can practice and play on the Practice page.

I would suggest a good starting point or side discussion would be suggesting good examples of wikis. It is always nice to point at something as a reference for style and content.

I would also strongly suggest we decide from the offset if we are inviting people to work on a wiki or write a manual. The two things are often confused but fundamentally different e.g. the Kodi wiki is actually a manual written on a wiki platform and not "a website or database developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content".

I only have one server, and it has been on v6 for months now. One of the reasons I wanted it reviewed is so others could provide corrections, more information, or edits of their own.

I know New Config has been around since v5. I only briefly used 4.7 and don't remember much about it.

Most importantly, I have not actually done a complete walkthrough of these steps on my own system. I have added drives, done rebuilds, removed drives, New Config. Maybe some steps could use more detail. Even the command lines I included were just taken from forum posts.

I think I have a pretty good grasp of how most things are intended to work in unRAID and I do understand parity pretty well, so I know why it works the way it does.

So, what versions does it apply to? v5 and v6? What about earlier versions, and do we care? The original wiki I rewrote was for some version before 4.7. It is still there in the wiki history if we want to include it.

Perhaps I am not in the best position to have even attempted this, but nobody else was doing it, and RobJ egged me on.

Don't read my remark as an attack on your efforts, far from that, I really applaude your contributions. :D

When I was reading the wiki I was just wondering if all unRAID versions work the same. I started myself with 4.7, but since it is that long ago I can't really remember the details anymore. Sure there are still people using this version, so maybe they can tell/confirm.

Saying "this works on all unRAID versions" is more of a comfort/re-ensurance phrase for people planning to do a disk upgrade.

Don't read my remark as an attack on your efforts, far from that, I really applaude your contributions. :D

When I was reading the wiki I was just wondering if all unRAID versions work the same. I started myself with 4.7, but since it is that long ago I can't really remember the details anymore. Sure there are still people using this version, so maybe they can tell/confirm.

Saying "this works on all unRAID versions" is more of a comfort/re-ensurance phrase for people planning to do a disk upgrade.

No, I didn't take it as an attack. Just trying to spell out in more detail where I was when I did this. Hoping others can provide more information and even guidance. For example, should we try to document older versions, or just leave the old docs in place if they exist, or what? I suppose we could just provide a link to them in the history, though that might not be best wiki practice. I don't know. My first wiki edit.

For example, should we try to document older versions, or just leave the old docs in place if they exist, or what? I suppose we could just provide a link to them in the history, though that might not be best wiki practice.

A good opening line for an important discussion!  We do need to make some decisions about where we draw the line in supporting older versions, and how we handle it in the wiki.  The first decision might be, which versions are too old to support.  I think we would all agree that anything before v4 is too old.  I started around the time when v4.0 was new, then there was a v4.1 and v4.2, but what I remember running for a long time was v4.3.3, a very stable version.  Then there were a series of versions that culminated in v4.5-beta6, which was a beta, but was a long lasting and very stable release.  Then there were more somewhat short-lived releases until v4.7, which also lasted quite awhile, still in use by some.  The question then is, do we keep info that is specific to these versions, specially labelled of course, or perhaps start all mention of older versions with a strong recommendation to update at least to v4.7, but preferably to v5.0.6 or the current v6 release.  Tom has made it clear that once v6.0 goes final, most or all older versions are going to be marked as end-of-life, and not supported any more.  But many of the old versions do run well, and it's hard to want to change your system when there's nothing wrong with it.