Licensing Changes

Starting with release of unRAID Server OS 6.0-rc1 we have introduced the following key registration changes:

Device Limits

We’ve moved from assignable-device limits to attached-device limits:

- The array will not start if too many devices are attached. 

- At least one device must be assigned to an array Data disk slot.

- To use non-array devices beyond your license limit, you can attempt to hot-plug the device after the array has started.  Warning: If

you stop the array, you will need to detach the device before you start the array again.

Pricing

- We’ve increased the price of Basic to $59 but also increased the device limit from 4 to 6.

- We've increased the price of Plus to $89 but also increased the device limit from 8 to 12.

- We've increased the price of Pro to $129.

Existing users of any previous unRAID Server OS release can take advantage of these increased device limits simply by upgrading to 6.0-rc1 or later.

For a limited time, you can use the coupon code KEY10 at checkout to receive $10 off your key purchase.

Automated Key Transfer Process

If you need to transfer your key to another USB Flash device, this can now be done online:

- Via the WebGUI on v6.

- Coming soon: Via the website on earlier versions. 

End-of-Sale Announcement

We will no longer be offering "Two-Packs".  This was offered as an instantaneous back up for Flash failure before, but now users can instantly get a replacement key via our new online system.

Free Trial

- Time-limited to 30 days with no per-device size limits.

- Supports up to 3 attached devices.

- Will require registration (just your e-mail and a valid GUID).

- Extensions can be requested within the WebGUI.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done Tom!

1) Device limit: this is a needed limitation, I think, as people can try to circumvent the version's max assignable limit by mounting drives along the array. Since drive's limit has increased, this should be a no brainer to most of users. Maybe you could increase the device limit to 26 on Pro because of this...

2) Pricing: Since it remains lifetime-licensing, I still think it's cheap enough to be considered a bargain. The version's range is also better distributed this way.

3) Automated Key Transfer Process: very nice touch!

4) Free Trial: by far the best option to limit the trial period, a lot better than size limitation!

I think i was very needed change in LT's business model, congratulations!

Existing users of any previous unRAID Server OS release can take advantage of these increased device limits simply by upgrading to 6.0-rc1 or later.

Is this saying that upgrades are free for users with previous licenses? I have 2 v5 pro keys (2 pack) and I'm not quite sure what it's going to cost for me to upgrade them.

Is this saying that upgrades are free for users with previous licenses? I have 2 v5 pro keys (2 pack) and I'm not quite sure what it's going to cost for me to upgrade them.

Yes.  Once you have an unRAID license it is valid for all releases so it is not going to cost you anything.

The only exception would be the new Basic license that is not relevant to releases before v6.

If you need to transfer your key to another USB Flash device, this can now be done online:

- Via the WebGUI on v6.

Not that I need to do it, but I figured I would check it out.  I see the registration key manager, but after loading it I do not see any options to transfer the key to a new stick.  All its telling me is my name, the registered date, when I'm allowed to replace it, and my GUID.  Tried it with the array both stopped and started.

- Via the WebGUI on v6.

Not that I need to do it, but I figured I would check it out.  I see the registration key manager, but after loading it I do not see any options to transfer the key to a new stick.  All its telling me is my name, the registered date, when I'm allowed to replace it, and my GUID.  Tried it with the array both stopped and started.

Right, it appears the instructions didn't make it to the website.  Briefly, all you do is prepare a new USB Flash device as usual (format with volume label UNRAID, copy files from the zip, click make_bootable).  Then copy your key file corresponding to the flash you are replacing to the 'config' directory, and then boot your server.  Server will see mismatch between GUID in key file and flash GUID and present option for you to replace your key file.  Caution: this will blacklist your 'old' flash and give you a 'replacement' key file for your new flash.  That same key file cannot be replaced online again until 365 days have elapsed.

Also: keep a secure backup of your key file (or the email with it's link).

I have been using a VM unRAID server (under Windows Virtualbox) for the folowing reasons:

* Test new unraid versions before deploying to production server

* Compile Virtualbox for unRAID plugin on newly released kernels

* Test envoronment for unRAID plugin development

Until today unraid6b15 the below virtualbox setup was working fine.

Today after upgrading to new unraid6 RC-1 I can't seem to start the array - getting USB GUID error (see screenshot below).

I need the new version to compile the new kernel for virtualbox plugin.

Virtualbox_unRAID.gif.5966f9f1aa30ef2a6977d87d8e930627.gif

unRAID_startup_screen.gif.1ac8f618fb1404f4c71acb419d79c66a.gif

Today after upgrading to new unraid6 RC-1 I can't seem to start the array - getting USB GUID error (see screenshot below).

You need to pass a physical USB flash device to your unRaid VM.

i have the same type of environment for testing new versions/plugins...

so does that mean after 30 days we will have to use a different usb stick and also how will it look if we keep asking for keys every 30 days ?

i have the same type of environment for testing new versions/plugins...

so does that mean after 30 days we will have to use a different usb stick and also how will it look if we keep asking for keys every 30 days ?

Did you get it to work? I am still struggling...

I've been playing with 6.0 on a test machine (testing out if the VMs are usable for my needs which they appear to be), so I upgraded to RC1 and it seemed to go smoothly, until I rebooted.  It said I needed a trial key, which I requested, and recieved, but now that I reboot I get a message that there are too many devices connected (only /dev/sda, sdb, and sdc show under /dev/sd*), and it says my trial key, which I just received has expired.

I attempted to request an extension, but that returned that my key had not expired.  So right now I'm stuck and unable to start this machine.  If there's a fix for this that would be great.  If not I suppose now that we're in RC stage I could finally migrate my Pro machine/license to 6.0.

OK, got it to work.

passed a real USB to the VM and it loaded from the IDE drive and unRAID is recognizing the USB GUID.

I wonder what will happen when the OS is updated? because unraid sees the USB but virtualbox boots from the IDE.

question from abs0lut.zer0 still remains:

I've been playing with 6.0 on a test machine (testing out if the VMs are usable for my needs which they appear to be), so I upgraded to RC1 and it seemed to go smoothly, until I rebooted.  It said I needed a trial key, which I requested, and recieved, but now that I reboot I get a message that there are too many devices connected (only /dev/sda, sdb, and sdc show under /dev/sd*), and it says my trial key, which I just received has expired.

I attempted to request an extension, but that returned that my key had not expired.  So right now I'm stuck and unable to start this machine.  If there's a fix for this that would be great.  If not I suppose now that we're in RC stage I could finally migrate my Pro machine/license to 6.0.

Check your date and time. If the date on your system is in the future, you won't be able to use the trial key.

OK, got it to work.

passed a real USB to the VM and it loaded from the IDE drive and unRAID is recognizing the USB GUID.

I wonder what will happen when the OS is updated? because unraid sees the USB but virtualbox boots from the IDE.

question from abs0lut.zer0 still remains:

The trial expiration does not stop the array at this time, it only prevents future starts. As far as continued requests for extensions, we haven't set a hard limit on that as of this time.

Check your date and time. If the date on your system is in the future, you won't be able to use the trial key.

Funny, now it's fine.  That's probably what it was, and it just took a bit for the time to sync.  Not sure how it got out of whack to begin with.

Sorry for the false alarm (and laziness on my part)

Funny, now it's fine.  That's probably what it was, and it just took a bit for the time to sync.  Not sure how it got out of whack to begin with.

Sorry for the false alarm (and laziness on my part)

There is a bit of "forgiveness" on unraids part if the time is a little off, but you may have JUST been over that in the unforgivable category. Glad you are working solid now.

I knew I should have got a second key for $30 when the offer was on  >:(

Now that that ship has sailed.. let's look at backup strategy, before that one, too, sails away  :-X

Btw, what are assignable-device vs attached-device?

Assignable-device = device attached to your system that CAN be used as an array drive (ide/sata/sas/scsi), but not assigned to an array (data nor cache).

Attached-device = assignable-device + other hotswappable devices (USB/FW)?

I knew I should have got a second key for $30 when the offer was on  >:(

Now that that ship has sailed.. let's look at backup strategy, before that one, too, sails away  :-X

Assignable-device = device attached to your system that CAN be used as an array drive (ide/sata/sas/scsi), but not assigned to an array (data nor cache).

Any storage device other than the unraid usb flash device.

I use a MobileLite G2 USB reader as my boot device.  Even the unused, unpopulated, microSD slot is showing up as an 'assignable' device.

I use a MobileLite G2 USB reader as my boot device.  Even the unused, unpopulated, microSD slot is showing up as an 'assignable' device.

It shouldn't show up if the size of the device is 0.  Please post your system log.

Sorry, I should have made clear that I was referring to the unassigned devices plugin tab.

It shouldn't show up if the size of the device is 0.  Please post your system log.

Starting with release of unRAID Server OS 6.0-rc1 we have introduced the following key registration changes:

Device Limits

- To use non-array devices beyond your license limit, you can attempt to hot-plug the device after the array has started.  Warning: If

you stop the array, you will need to detach the device before you start the array again.

Pricing

- We’ve increased the price of Basic to $59 but also increased the device limit from 4 to 6.

- We've increased the price of Plus to $89 but also increased the device limit from 8 to 12.

It would have been nice if Pro users not only got a price increase, but also some (even if only out of the array) increased device limit...

I have now very limited use of all the new features, so much for paying pro prices...

Device Limits

Pricing

It would have been nice if Pro users not only got a price increase, but also some (even if only out of the array) increased device limit...

I have now very limited use of all the new features, so much for paying pro prices...

Are you complaining about the added features because you already have a Pro license or about to buy one?

I think it's a really fair price increase considering all the features tacked on to it; and I think the market for people whom only need NAS functionality without docker/KVM is actually shrinking as users are learning how to use virtualization/partitioning and making use of it, than maintaining a separate VM server.

Even NAS producers are getting into this game too, just check out Synology and their 'apps'.

Device Limits

Pricing

Are you complaining about the added features because you already have a Pro license or about to buy one?

I think it's a really fair price increase considering all the features tacked on to it; and I think the market for people whom only need NAS functionality without docker/KVM is actually shrinking as users are learning how to use virtualization/partitioning and making use of it, than maintaining a separate VM server.

Even NAS producers are getting into this game too, just check out Synology and their 'apps'.

I have 3 Pro licences.

I have 2 fully loaded pro servers (norco 4224 cases). 1 uses ESXi for VM's and other stuff (unraid in passthrough), the other is not VT-D capable. I wanted to use the second one for some extra VM's and dockers (you know, the new features...).

Now it appears this is not at all possible because I can add only 1 extra drive (if I would not use a cache drive...).

I don't want any extra (protected) array drives, but 4-6 extra non array drives for dockers/VM's would have been nice.

This is getting frustrating because the absolute silence from LT, I send him a email about this (you know, the sticky about concerns/complaints second from the top in this subforum) , but I recieved no answer. 

So again, what extra features do I get with the new V6, a serious bill to buy new hardware...

And in the end I still will be able to have extra VM's when I passthrouggh unraid. So I don't understand why LT wants to annoy/irritatie its pro users.

I just don't understand it, but this is probably only me...