CrashPlan

agw

I finally got this to work, but still my backups going  to RAM . but I need to look into this....

But when I did passwd root to get root a password this disappears when i reboot my unraid

How do I do to get a user with password after reboot ?

//Peter

EDIT

Cant get the backup path changed to /mnt/disk3/Backup, in the windows client it named to //c:/mnt/disk3/Backup

Strange....

I have manually edit the my.service.xml with my path to unRaid, and it works, but strange that I couldn't do that from windows client

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally got this to work, but still my backups going  to RAM . but I need to look inti this

But when I did passwd root to get root a password this disappears when i reboot my unraid

How do I do to get a user with password after reboot ?

//Peter

EDIT

Cant get the backup path changed to /mnt/disk3/Backup, in the windows client it named to //c:/mnt/disk3/Backup

Strange....

Use the unRAID "users" screen to set a password for the "root" user.

I had Crashplan installed and working just fine, but now the service won't start and I'm getting the following in the engine_error.log. I've attempted to reinstall Crashplan which seems to install just fine but it still will not work. I just can't seem to get this to work anymore.

Anyone else experiencing issues?

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal load fact

or: 0.75

at java.util.HashMap.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.util.HashMap.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.util.jar.Attributes.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.util.jar.Manifest.read(Unknown Source)

at java.util.jar.Manifest.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.util.jar.JarFile.getManifestFromReference(Unknown Source)

at java.util.jar.JarFile.getManifest(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader$2.getManifest(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

Could not find the main class: com.backup42.service.CPService.  Program will exit.

4.7 as well.

This one really has me scratching my head because it was working fine until this morning and now I cannot get it to launch. I'm at work until midnight so I'll have to mess with this later, but my next plan is to remove all third party addons and start from scratch.

I haven't tried the Windows 7 built-in backup, but when Crashplan was working for me, it worked great! If I can't get the application to work on Unraid I found some work arounds that should let me back up to my unraid box with the network shares instead of client to client.

Does this work any better than Windows 7? Right now I just back up all my Win7 machines to an unRAID share using the built in Win7 features.

I prefer Crashplan for it's unlimited offsite storage.  If you're just backing up to another box in your house, there's probably no reason to use Crashplan unless you wanted to keep processes like that on your server and off your desktops.

Sorry about your problems and I don't have any suggestions, but mine seems to be working fine after the upgrade.  I'm running 4.7.  Good luck.

Mine as well.  Stopped it with unMENU, retarred it, and restarted it.  No problems whatsoever.  Are you 100% positive it was working prior to last night's update?  I only ask because it's possible something done to your server within the same timeframe could also be the culprit.  Just a thought.

I'm not 100% positive it was working prior to last night's update, unfortunately. I had a test unraid box with an older ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE running a 120GB parity and 100GB data drive as a test for a month. I had unraid and crashplan working on it.  I bought a new case, two new 2TB drives and after moving everything into the new case, I was unable to get anything to work right. I kept getting kernel oops while preclearing and the array would lock up occasionally.

I tracked the problem down to most likely the motherboard or memory and bought a brand new motherboard, cpu and ram. After installing those, I successfully completed a full simultaneous preclear of both WD20EARS 2TB drives and the 100GB drive from the test configuration. I added all three to the array and they have been computing the initial parity check.

It was then that I noticed that my desktop computer didn't show it was connected to Crashplan on the unRaid box. Mind you, the install I have running is the exact same install I was using on the test hardware for a month. I have since wiped all traces of Crashplan from the unraid box and reinstalled multiple times using the original directions in this thread that worked for me. Crashplan installs just fine but I cannot get the service to launch. It just gets the error I posted on the previous page in the error log.

I've even attempted to wipe all traces of OpenSSH, OpenSSL and CPIO from the system and reinstall them, regenerate the keys and that didn't fix it. I attempted to install the JRE release shown under unmenu, but the files it installs aren't in the proper locations so Crashplan won't use it. I've attempted to stop the array, cancel the parity check and get Crashplan to load, same issues. I've rebooted the unraid server multiple times during all of this as well.

My next attempt when I get home from work will be to backup my USB key, wipe it, install a clean copy of unraid 4.7, the latest unMenu and try to walk through installing Crashplan from scratch. If that doesn't work, I really don't know what else to try doing. I'm open to any ideas.

For reference, the hardware I'm using:

JetWay JHZ03-GT-LF AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Used by another person on the forums for a full 22 drive+ server)

GeIL Value 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model GV32GB1333C9SC

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor SDX140HBGQBOX

Does the Windows 7 backup support differential backups, file version history and recovery of deleted files? Those are the main features that I would like to use.

It does support a differential backup.  And you can restore previous versions of files as well. Not sure about deleted files though. I also use Rebit for my main PC which I know supports deleted files.

I've done an absolutely clean install of unraid and followed the directions to the letter to install Crashplan. The installation goes fine but I'm still getting those errors and the client will not start at all. I'm beginning to think that something about the specific hardware I'm using is causing some sort of bug to show up with Crashplan.

I'm really stumped. Everything else on the system is running perfectly. Memory tests pass, 36 hours of preclear on three disks at a time passed.

[RESOLVED-edit]

I figured out the issue and I'm really surprised that the computer wasn't crashing like crazy. In going through my bios and changing the options to get the board ready for unraid, I managed to enable a feature called Advanced Clock Calibration. It had been on disabled, I had set it to auto. Turns out, it unlocked the second core on my Sempron 140. I literally computed parity, ran three pre-clears, memtests, all of it, without any issues, but Crashplan, and specifically Java, for some reason was crashing all the time when it tried to execute on the second core.

I disabled it, had to completely power the system off and back on, it was showing the Sempron 140 single core again and crashplan installed and is now working fine.  Sheesh!

So, note to self, Advanced Clock Calibration, keep it disabled! Thank you everybody who helped try to fix this for me.

---

I don't have the installer for the 3.0.2 version of Crashplan, so I've been using the 3.0.3 to do fresh installs. I've let it download its own JRE and as far as I know, a clean fresh install of unraid doesn't make use of java at all. However, I just tried replacing the filename on the Crashplan website for the 3.0.3 download with 3.0.2 and it worked, so I'm about to give Crashplan 3.0.2 clean install a try.

The main java error I'm seeing is the one I posted, but occasionally I'm getting other random java errors. It makes no sense. Also, I'm noticing that occasionally in the log files generated by Crashplan that in paths that are listed that the C in crashplan gets replaced with a g. Like I said, random.

edit- Here are the results of a fresh boot of the unraid server, no previous crashplan, openSSL, openSSH, CPIO or java installed, installing the 3.0.2 Crashplan tar, letting it install Java and launching itself.

Note, I used the directions from the wiki, tossed the cpio, openssl and openssh packages into the extra folder, rebooted, then installed crashplan.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal Load: 0.75
       at java.util.Hashtable.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.Hashtable.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.x509.CertificateExtensions.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.x509.X509CertInfo.parse(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.x509.X509CertInfo.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.provider.X509Factory.engineGenerateCertificate(Unknown Source)
       at java.security.cert.CertificateFactory.generateCertificate(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.pkcs.PKCS7.parseSignedData(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.pkcs.PKCS7.parse(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.pkcs.PKCS7.parse(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.pkcs.PKCS7.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at sun.security.util.SignatureFileVerifier.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarVerifier.processEntry(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarVerifier.update(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarFile.initializeVerifier(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarFile.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
       at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader$2.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
       at sun.misc.Resource.cachedInputStream(Unknown Source)
       at sun.misc.Resource.getByteBuffer(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: com.backup42.service.CPService.  Program will exit.

Second attempt to run CrashPlanEngine start:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/jniwrapper/AutoDeleteParameter
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
       at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.jniwrapper.AutoDeleteParameter
       ... 12 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: invalid manifest format
       at java.util.jar.Manifest.read(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.Manifest.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarFile.getManifestFromReference(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarFile.getManifest(Unknown Source)
       at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader$2.getManifest(Unknown Source)
       ... 19 more
Could not find the main class: com.backup42.service.CPService.  Program will exit.

After multiple attempts to get this working, all I can see so far is that java seems to be completely failing to load crashplan with somewhat random looking errors. If I spam "CrashPlanEngine start" over and over, I'll get different things showing up in the error log. It's like the java code or files are becoming corrupted on load.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have to have the SSH tunnel open in order to backup to the headless unRAID CrashPlan client from another machine?  I didn't think so, but...

I restarted my unRAID server that has CrashPlan installed.  It rebooted fine, and CrashPlan started.  I could tell because the process was running.  However, I could not backup to the machine.  CrashPlan just said "Waiting for connection."

So I decided I'd connect with the UI to see what was going on.  The second I opened the SSH tunnel, the backup started.  I never even got around to opening the UI.  Any idea what might be going on here?

Then when I closed the tunnel, it continued to back up.  I'm baffled.

The only reason you should have to have the SSH tunnel open is to connect to/work on/modify Crashplan running on unRaid. Are you sure you commented out the "Service Port" in the properties file on your to-be-backed-up machine? That comment should only be present when you want to use the tunnel to use your local client to modify the settings on unRaid.

I actually have a completely separate copy of CrashPlan I use for remote maintenance so I don't have to alter the configuration every time, so that wasn't an issue.

I'm going to investigate further tonight, but I don't think it had anything to do with the management UI.  The CrashPlan service on my main machine, and on the website, showed the unRAID instance as not being online until I connected to it with the UI after the reboot.  After that, it's remained online.

I suppose it could just be that it takes a really long time to start up, and it just happened to coincide with when I opened the tunnel.  I should know more later.

Edit: Ok, figured it out.  It looks like it has something to do with how often CrashPlan checks to see whether a particular computer is online.  It checks once per minute, which would give a pretty good chance of getting the timing right by chance.  After a reboot, if I waited long enough the client recognized the instance on the unRAID server was up and running.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. After every reboot, the only files that I can restore are from the latest tarball I created. Otherwise, everything I have updated since the latest tarball do not show up on a reboot. Does this mean I will need to create a new tarball after every backup? Is there a different way to do this?

If this is the case, can anyone tell me or show me how I can set up a script to create a tarball every x minutes? Or maybe a new tarball every night?

Crashplan seems to be great if I can actaully get it to backup files even if my unraid server restarts without having to do manual tars every night.

Any help would be really appreciated.