SlimServer file permissions and BubbaRaid

Good evening,

I am looking for help, and after searching the forum I know this is a common issue and I found some solutions, I think but I have no clue what I'm doing in Linux ...

So, can you please help a Newbie ? :)

I think I understand that I need to change something about the permissions of my "Music" share, but I don't understand what I need to do, and how. How sure could you a simple guide ...

Do I only need to change the permissions once ? How ?

Do I need to create a new user for slimserver ? How ?

Do I need a script ? Which one and how do I install it ?

I know how to telnet in the server, and how to add/edit the config files on the USB key ... but beyond that, be kind with me ... I'm a little slow.

Thanks in advance !!!

I have a script that when executed will create a slimserver user and then start slimserver with that user.  It is looks like this:

[pre]

slimserver_start() {

useradd slimserver -u 1000 -g 100 -o

/mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver >/dev/null 2>&1 &

}

case "$1" in

'start')

slimserver_start

;;

*)

# Default is "start", for backwards compatibility with previous

# Slackware versions.  This may change to a 'usage' error someday.

slimserver_start

esac

[/pre]

I have never had any luck pointing slimserver at a user share as its music library.  I'm lucky that my drive is 1TB and my music takes much less space than that.  You will have to point slimserver at the disk share with your music to get it to index your library.  As the drive and permissions are persistent, you will only have to change file ownership once (and then every time after that you add new music).

To set file ownership, you can do the following from within your '/mnt/diskX/Music' folder:

[pre]

chown -R slimserver *

[/pre]

Make sure you do this after you run the script or create the slimserver user.  Since users are not persistent, you will have to set things up so that you execute the script every time the server restarts to recreate the user.

-- Chris

Thanks Chris.

The whole reason I was trying to use BubbaRaid, other than the cool name of course, was to have my SlimServer running on it, and access my music library that sits on the server. However, my collection is unfortunately too large to sit on only one drive, so it must sit on a share.

So, now I am reevaluating the whole idea. It might not be worth while to go thru all that and not have a reliable/resilient SlimServer.

Thanks for sharing and trying to help me out. I might return to lurking for a while and give it some thought.

Wow, if you don't mind my asking, just how large is your music collection?  I don't spend as much time listening to music as I did when I was 20, so for me I am above the practical limit of how large my music collection needs to be :)  I've got about 700 or so albums and encoded as .flac it takes ~400gb.  All the drives in my server are 1TB, so it isn't an issue for me...