Newbie question on backups

Hi, I am about to purchase a server from limetech, and I am trying to do some planning ahead of time.  I don't have deep knowledge of linux.

The server's purpose will be home use media storage, consisting of movies, music, pictures and home videos, etc.  I don't mind losing movies and music as I can just re rip everything, even though it will be a PITB.  However, I want redudency in my pictures and home videos, since they are irreplacable.

I am wondering if it is possible to ask the server to regularly duplicate all the contents of my [pictures and home videos] share across multiple drives?  That way I will still have the data even in the even of multiple drives failure.

My other solution is to backup the entire share to a buffalo terastation that I have, but I'd rather keep everything in the unraid server if possible.

Thanks!

Hi, I am about to purchase a server from limetech, and I am trying to do some planning ahead of time.  I don't have deep knowledge of linux.

The server's purpose will be home use media storage, consisting of movies, music, pictures and home videos, etc.  I don't mind losing movies and music as I can just re rip everything, even though it will be a PITB.  However, I want redudency in my pictures and home videos, since they are irreplacable.

I am wondering if it is possible to ask the server to regularly duplicate all the contents of my [pictures and home videos] share across multiple drives?  That way I will still have the data even in the even of multiple drives failure.

My other solution is to backup the entire share to a buffalo terastation that I have, but I'd rather keep everything in the unraid server if possible.

Thanks!

Personally I would invest in some sort of cloud backup (amazonS3, mozy, etc) and use that to back the pictures and home movies up; also use the terastation to duplicate the important stuff and then take it off site to a friends or something.  Most people on here will tell you that having a duplication on the same machine is not quite good enough, nor a true backup sceam.  I have my server setup and it stores most of my DVD rips, photos, music, etc.  The photos are also still on my local drive so the server acts as a backup for those.  I also completely replicate my laptop drive and make it a bootable backup, therefore giving me yet another drive i have a copy on.  This bootable backup is taken to a friends house and i grab it every week or so and do an update and then take it back to there house when i get the next chance.

Yes, you can use rsync to duplicate a tree locally or remotely to another unRAID server in the same network or across the internet.

Keeping your backup on the same server is not really a backup.

You want to separate as much as possible from one another.

First level, would be copying to another directory on some basis.

Second level would be copying to another drive on some basis.

Third level would be another server (terastation or another unraid server).

Fourth level would be the other server at a remote location.

Each level provides more and more of a recoverable backup solution.