1 TB drive showing up as 32 MB?

Rajahal

Well, this is a first for me.  My brand new 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 is showing up as having a 32 MB capacity both in unRAID and in Windows.  I tried running Samsung's ES Tools utility on it, but from Windows I get errors about incompaibility with 64 bit operating systems (I'm on Vista x64) and when booting from the CD I get errors about 'out of memory'.  Is the drive toast?  What should I do?  ???

Note: 32 MB is the size of the drive's cache, could that have something to do with it?

Thank you very much for the link, but unfortunately my desktop runs Vista x64 and that program is only compatible with 32 bit OS's.  My laptop runs Vista x86, but I have no way of hooking up the hard drive to my laptop (without opening it up).

It does kind of seem like some kind of weird jumper issue (though its 32 MB, not 32 GB), however the drive didn't come with any jumper (and doesn't have one installed), plus only has half the normal amount of jumper pins (4 instead of 8 ).  This is all very odd.  I think I may just have to return the drive.  Its too bad, I had read such good things about Samsungs.

Edit: I fixed it!  On a whim, I added a jumper to the drive (put it on 'master' setting), and it seemed to work.  It's now being recognized as the full 1 TB.  Considering it didn't come with a jumper, I can only imagine that maybe a jumper fell out during shipping?  I don't know.  But at least its working.

** Oops, missed the part where you said you fixed it. **

Well, this is a first for me.  My brand new 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 is showing up as having a 32 MB capacity both in unRAID and in Windows.  I tried running Samsung's ES Tools utility on it, but from Windows I get errors about incompaibility with 64 bit operating systems (I'm on Vista x64) and when booting from the CD I get errors about 'out of memory'.  Is the drive toast?  What should I do?  ???

Note: 32 MB is the size of the drive's cache, could that have something to do with it?

Make a boot CD of this:

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

disconnect all your other drives and only connect the problem drive for safety.  Boot the CD then try the 'hpa' command.  You can reset the HPA size with this.  I think there is an 'nohpa' command as well that is sorta a shortcut to remove the host protected area.