Should I downgrade to a 1.6 GHz CPU?

Rajahal

I'm currently running my unRAID server with a 2.0 GHz Dual Core CPU.  My parent's desktop computer (which I built for them) is running a 1.6 GHz Single Core CPU.  My dad does a lot of photo-type stuff, Photoshop editing and such, and I've decided my parents need a faster CPU (I've already almost maxed out their RAM at 2.5 GBs, and I plan on upgrading it to 4 GBs in the future).  Hence, I'm considering swapping the CPUs, so using the 1.6 GHz Single Core in my unRAID server, and giving them the 2.0 GHz Dual Core for their desktop.  I'm confident that 2.0 GHz Dual Core will be fast enough for them, but I'm not sure if 1.6 GHz Single Core will be fast enough for my unRAID server.  I know 2.0 is the recommended minimum, and many people run 1.8's, I don't think I've seen anyone running a 1.6.  Anyone had success running such a slow CPU?

I expect that unRAID add-ons will change the picture somewhat as well.  I'm currently running unRAID stock, but I may want to install BubbaRAID (for torrents) and unMenu in the future.  Plus, I currently have 5 GBs of RAM for the server (2x2 GB + 2x512 MB all DDR2 800 Dual Channel), and I would be willing to upgrade to 8 GBs if that would help compensate for the slower CPU (I know it would help with torrents).  I would also be willing to overclock the CPU if necessary, but I would rather not (to save power).

I've run unRAID on a Celeron M 1GHZ.  For stock unRAID you can get away with the 1.6ghz processor.

I don't know if you will notice it or not.

Depends on the processor's bus speed.

The more ram, the more the processor has to fetch through the ram to find data in the cache.

So if you happen to be changing from an 800mhz processor down to a 533 or something like that,  you will notice the difference.

But not by much.

If you plan on torrent'ing allot, then the extra muscle will help when it comes to fetching memory and doing hash checking.

I might look on eBay to see if there was a cheap processor and upgrade along that way.

If you do not want to spend a dime and just want to swap, you will be fine.

The dual core processor will do much better on the desktop.

Thanks very much, everyone, I now feel confident enough to do the ol' switcheroo.

I won't have to make any changes to unRAID, right?  Just power down, swap the CPU, power back up and everything will be peachy?

as long as you do not dislodge any cables to the disks while swapping the CPUs, it will be peachy. 

Don't forget to turn off the main power supply switch/unplug the server from the wall before you swap the CPU, not just power down, as there is still power on the MB when plugged in... (many less-expensive supplies have no physical power switch, you must unplug them from the wall outlet)

And... don't forget to wear a anti-static wrist strap, so you do not zap the CPU while moving it.  If you have no idea what I am talking about, google "wrist strap ESD prevention" and view these:

Joe L.

At the very least touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity your body may have built up.  ::) We sound like a bunch of mother hens..lol

I have one of my unRAID boxes running on a P3 800Mhz with a CD kicker disk. Streams my 4 year old sons movies just fine. It is just the free version though. Runs off of a Rosewill 4 port PCI serial ata card. Does parity checks in the 30k range.

So I wouldn't worry at all with the CPU change.

At the very least touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity your body may have built up.

That's what I used to do, but I just obtained a "professional" computer toolkit that includes an ESD wriststrap, so now I use if for all my computer work.  Something I've been wondering, though - I usually ground the ESD wriststrap to the case, and as long as the PSU is plugged in to the wall, the case should be grounded, right?  What about if the PSU is not plugged into the wall (or if the on/off switch is flipped), should I try to ground to something else?

You will probably be fine.  What is important is to not have any voltage differences between you and the equipment you are working on.  It would not matter if you and it both were 100,000 volts positive, (as long as you don't touch ground, that is)  If both at the same potential, no ESD can occur.

So, initially connect the wrist strap clip to the computer you are removing the CPU from, then while holding onto the CPU, move the clip to the chassis you will be inserting it into, then plug it in the new MB.

Years ago I used to work on equipment where a single plug-in-board might cost over $10,000.  They did not want ANY ESD problems, so we had a lot of ESD training.      Interestingly, a charge is created any time two materials are separated from each other.  It is only too easy to generate a charge, even if you cannot feel it.    Don't wear nylon or polyester clothes or undergarments when trying to keep ESD at a minimum.  The wrist strap should keep you safe.

Joe L.

I have one of my unRAID boxes running on a P3 800Mhz with a CD kicker disk.

I think you might win the oldest hardware to support unRAID award.

Post something in pimp your rig.

I bet there are others who would love to know this information and provide a vote of confidence for not over engineering an unRAID system.

At the very least touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity your body may have built up.  Roll Eyes We sound like a bunch of mother hens..lol

I suppose I am lucky, in all of the years, I've never taken all these precautions and I've never had an issue with it.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've also never seen it happen first hand.

I have one of my unRAID boxes running on a P3 800Mhz with a CD kicker disk.

I think you might win the oldest hardware to support unRAID award.

Post something in pimp your rig.

I bet there are others who would love to know this information and provide a vote of confidence for not over engineering an unRAID system.

At the very least touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity your body may have built up.  Roll Eyes We sound like a bunch of mother hens..lol

I suppose I am lucky, in all of the years, I've never taken all these precautions and I've never had an issue with it.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've also never seen it happen first hand.

Actually I think I made a mistake about the 800Mhz machine. That was the first machine that I tried unRAID on but the capacitors started to leak. I changed the board to a PIII with a 1Ghz chip. Bet it is still one of the oldest machines using unRAID. Still have to use the CD kicker disk. I'll post it in pimp your rig. It's ugly as sin though. In a old Enlight case with other OLD parts mixed together.

I ran my own computer repair business for about 15 years so I built a bunch of machines. Never did zap a cpu or memory chip. Never did wear any anti static bracelets or anything. Just touched the metal before handling any chips. Guess I was lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally carried this out over the weekend, swapped the 1.6 GHz single core for the 2.0 GHz dual core.  It went swimmingly.  Both the unRAID server and the parent's desktop booted with the new processors without issue.  Plus, I haven't noticed any difference in my server's performance, which is what I was hoping for.

Now if I could only get my desktop to stop blue screening...(unrelated issue).