Drive gone missing

Well after I upgraded from 6.0rc2 to 6.0rc4 my drive 1 showed bad and had some issues with other drives. I had shut the server down completely and did a "Cold boot" and drive 1 showed as bad.

I start the drive set and it still shows drive 1 bad. I stop it and it shows drives 1-8 missing. I had no issues with rc-2. Previous version "beta version" I had to run in xen mode in order for this to go away.

here is the sys log.

https://lilnetwork.com/download/nas/6-8-2015.log

6-8-2015-drive-issue.JPG

It looks just like the problem we used to have in some of the late v6 betas, where a SAS card using mvsas would just stop, and all its tasks would be aborted, and all drives on it would be unreachable, causing all write errors to any being written and read errors to all others.  That almost certainly was why Disk 1 showed bad before, it just happened to be the first drive accessed.  I haven't seen this problem since then, so thought it had been fixed.  Try updating the firmware on the card.

If you're certain there's been no movement then it's almost certainly not an issue.

However ... you did indicate you've had this problem before, so it certainly won't hurt to double-check.

One other thing you could try (although it seems unlikely this is the issue) => disable vt-x in the BIOS just to confirm whether or not this has any impact on your issue.

... I installed rc-3 and it works like a charm.

STRANGE !!

So this works perfectly with RC3 but doesn't see your MV8 with RC4 !!

Did you do the upgrades via the "Upgrade" button within the Web GUI or did you manually copy the files?

If manual, try the automated process - I suspect it will go straight to RC5, which may also have a different (i.e. good) result if there was some bug in RC4.

it was via the update button on the webgui.

I am in the middle of doing a parity check as of right now but I will upgrade to rc-5 once it is done and see if that works.

Side note: I have to configure all my drives and shares every time. What files do I copy over so I don't have to rebuild them everytime?

it was via the update button on the webgui.

I am in the middle of doing a parity check as of right now but I will upgrade to rc-5 once it is done and see if that works.

Side note: I have to configure all my drives and shares every time. What files do I copy over so I don't have to rebuild them everytime?

You shouldn't have to do any drive reconfiguration.    If you want to do this manually, just extract the files from an RC5 download; then copy just bzroot and bzimage  to your flash drive ... then reboot UnRAID.