Building an UNRAID server

Blade

Brand new member and first time UNRAID user. Actually this is the first PC I will ever build myself.

Here is what I am thinking of using.

**** UPDATED in a thread below ****

I already have a SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 1Gb flash drive so I think it will work OK

What fans would I need?

I am very new to all this and would appreciate some feedback on my choices. Maybe I am way out in left field on my choices. Please tell me.

I'm going through the same process. Using the same case, but about everything else is different (AMD route for me).

How many drives do you plan on having in your array? What is your intended use for the box? (basic unRAID or adding in more packages like torrenting/NZB, etc?)

Depending on what you plan on doin, you may be able so save some cash and put it towards drives or drive racks.

Why such an expensive mobo?  All of its extras, like HDMI, optical audio, and DDR3 ram will be wasted on unRAID.  AMD/Intel doesn't matter, but I would recommend something cheaper (I prefer AMD, since it tends to be cheaper and just as reliable).  The 6 onboard SATA slots are nice, but you can find that on a cheaper board.  I would look for something in the $50-$100 range. 

I also expect that the 650W PSU is overkill, but you haven't mentioned how many hard drives you plan on packing in the server, and if you want it to be expandable or not.  I'm running 8 drives (only two of which are 'green') on a 450W PSU.

I like your case, though  ;D

I want the system to be expandable. I will be using it just for music, movies, data, backups, etc.

I thought that a good power supply would be the best because it will be running all the time.

I am very open to different motherboards, CPUs and memory.

I want to get a mother board, CPU and memory that will work together nicely and be solid running UNRAID.

I want to go at least 2Gb RAM.

If someone has a part list from newegg in Canada, I am open to it. I want to get something that is solid in performance.

Thx

Can someone please comment on this setup?

Motherboard:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128342  (GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail)

CPU:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103235  (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail)

Case:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152  (COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail)

Memory:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184  (CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail)

PSU:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005  (CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready)

I am also thinking of getting these fans:   http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

I am looking to have the system expandable. This seems like it would work ok but I am looking to the experts here for their feedback

Thx

Nearly identical to mine. 

You can easily get by with a lower power processor and drop another 20W with something like the AMD Athlon LE-1660. From what I hear the PSU is a bit overkill even if you fill up the 590 (especially if you are using newer "green" drives).

Your new build looks far more reasonable.  I agree with david81 that the AMD Athlon LE-1660 would be better suited for unRAID, and would save you $20.  I still insist that the 650W PSU is overkill, but if the price difference between the 450/550 and the 650 is negligible, then go for it.  I support you getting a Corsair PSU and Corsair RAM, I buy from them almost exclusively because they are so dependable.  I've been running that same RAM for a year or more.

Yeah, my unRAID server also has a CMPSU-650TX.  I knew it was a bit of overkill as well, but the price differential over a 450 or 550 was very low, we know it's a quality PS, and I know that if I wanted to, I could always swap it into a workstation machine.

Same was kinda true of the mobo I used (a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P... plus I liked being able to give some feedback on that board to the unRAID community here which has helped me :) ) and my CPU (an Intel E5200).  I paid $85 for that CPU (currently $70) but I like the idea that I could theoretically O/C it on this board someday if unRAID moves to Reed-Solomon parity option.

What version of the Unraid OS is the best one to use as of now?

4.5beta6 is probably the best.  There are only a few known issues... and none would affect most users.

(active directory permissions/login not working for some, and when attempting to add more than 16 drives, it will not start)

The earlier 4.4 and 4.5 versions are missing a support library for the smartctl program.  If you use one of them, you'll need to download and install that library if you want to check the SMART status of your drives. (not a big thing, but you are at least aware)

4.5 uses a newer version of samba and a newer linux kernel... It may/may not make a difference for specific hardware.  Most people will not notice anything different.

The same exact OS is used regardless of basic/plus/pro versions.  All they do is include a ".key" file that enables additional features in the management interface.

To upgrade from one to the next is a matter of paying for the appropriate .key.  To upgrade OS is a matter of replacing the bzroot and bzimage files from a new distribution and rebooting.  Neither affect your data, so if you want to try 4.4.2 and then upgrade, it is easy.

Joe L.

Joe L.

Your new build looks far more reasonable.  I agree with david81 that the AMD Athlon LE-1660 would be better suited for unRAID, and would save you $20.  I still insist that the 650W PSU is overkill, but if the price difference between the 450/550 and the 650 is negligible, then go for it.  I support you getting a Corsair PSU and Corsair RAM, I buy from them almost exclusively because they are so dependable.  I've been running that same RAM for a year or more.

So is the CPU I have chosen overkill for Unraid. I see a lot of people going for the dual core CPU. This is the only item I am hesitant on right now. I just want to make sure the system runs well.

I am debating between these CPUs:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103235  (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail)

OR

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103296  (AMD Athlon LE-1660 Lima 2.8GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor - Retail)

So is the CPU I have chosen overkill for Unraid. I see a lot of people going for the dual core CPU. This is the only item I am hesitant on right now. I just want to make sure the system runs well.

The system runs fine on single core processors down to 1.6ghz. Actually I have a celeron M 1ghz and it runs fine.

If Reed–Solomon error correction is added for a second parity drive then more horse power may be needed.

If you plan to run a number of third party apps (torrent, other media servers) or VMware then go for the dual processor.

Dual core will only help if you run add-on processes, virtual machines, etc.  It will not do anything for 99% of users of unRAID.

For most media server use, the CPU usage is under 10% utilization.  On my server, with a parity check in progress, and four different DVD ISO images being served to four different clients on my LAN, the CPU still shows 81% idle on an old 1.6GHz celeron.

top - 09:31:39 up 21 days, 19:10,  0 users,  load average: 1.05, 0.79, 0.99
Tasks:  97 total,   4 running,  93 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  8.9%us,  3.2%sy,  0.0%ni, 81.2%id,  6.5%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    498384k total,   492724k used,     5660k free,    12552k buffers
Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,   384168k cached

Joe L.

I do want to be able to access my files from wherever I am. Say if I am at my parents and I want a file, I would like to be able to get to my drives and get it for them. I also want to be able to upload files as well to my drives.

Hopefully this can be done. I assume extra software will be required

Remote file sharing and access can be done without other software, BUT... 99.9999% of people will end up with an insecure server letting people have access to their entire LAN and all the PCs on it in their attempt to get it configured.   

Please do not take offense, but if you have to even ask the question if it can be done, you are not in the .00001% who can set it up securely.  (It is not just the unRAID server, you must make sure the router AND all the other PCs on your LAN are secured properly.)

If you have a Windows PC on your LAN, you can install something like the free "Orb" digital server on it to access all the data you wish to allow access securely:

http://www.orb.com/

I've not used it, nor even played with it, but it provides flexibility to share just about anything and still do it securely.  (I've read on one of their forums you can run their server in Virtualbox under Linux, so it you are really motivated/skilled, you might not even need a second PC running.  There is no Linux version, but they say one is in the works and will be available some time in the future.)

Joe L.

Thx Joe. I appreciate the response.

I have a question about the fans. I plan to put in a number of fans into the case. I have never built a machine before so bear with me. Is there enough spots to power the fans with the equipment I have outlined.

Joe L, is it really that hard to setup ssh on an unraid box, then sftp into it? I have it configured on my ubuntu server and it works a treat.

No, not too hard to install and set up ssh, but to secure the rest of the server (SAMBA) is an issue, and to secure your router to allow only ssh with proper login and passworded access is an issue.  As I said, it can be done, but most people cannot. 

Just look at how many people set the file permissions on everything to 777 just so their ftp will work, because they do not have the skills to set up the user IDs and permissions to get everything secure.

I repeat, it can be done, but 99.9999% will get it wrong and end up letting access occur where it should not.

Joe L.

I have a question about the fans. I plan to put in a number of fans into the case. I have never built a machine before so bear with me. Is there enough spots to power the fans with the equipment I have outlined.

Yes, you will most likely be fine.  As long as your case fans use the standard 4 pin molex connector, they can all be daisy-chained together (not sure if that's the appropriate use of that term, but you get the idea) and all run off a single power connection on the PSU, like this (shamelessly stolen from the 'pimp my rig' thread  ;)): molexdaisychain.jpg

As for the CPU decision, I would go for the single core.  It's cheaper (by $20), uses less power (by 20W), and its more than enough for unRAID.  It still gives you some room to play with if you wish to use some unRAID add-ons in the future.

Also, I hate to throw another wrench into the mix when you are so close to having your server components chosen, but this mobo just went on sale today, and it looks like a good match for unRAID:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135234&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL072309&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL072309-_-MotherboardsAMD-_-L4D-_-13135234

6 onboard SATA slots, onboard video (though weird DVI-D port), GigE, up to 32 GBs of RAM (wow!).  The only problem with it that I see is that you would have to get an AM2+ processor, not the AM2's you have been looking at.

Only go for this one if you want to save the money, otherwise, I would just get the build you described earlier, but with the single core processor.