Torrent on Unraid Question

Hi, currently I have uTorrent set up on my laptop to download various media.  It's typically left on almost 24/7.  I just upgraded my motherboard to the ASROCK C2550D4I Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor and installed a 320GB cache drive.  Also upgraded to version 6.

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to install a torrent client on UnRaid and use my server since it's up and running 24/7?  I'm guessing I would have to setup some type of Docker which I have no experience with. 

I'm also curious as to what torrent client would be best with Unraid and if doing so are there any security precautions I should be concerned about?  Does this tax the server at all?  i wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask.  Would I be able to save the files to my cache drive?  Right now the files are saved on my laptop which then is copied to my cache drive, which is then copied to my array. 

I could use any assistance offered.

Hi, currently I have uTorrent set up on my laptop to download various media.  It's typically left on almost 24/7.  I just upgraded my motherboard to the ASROCK C2550D4I Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core Processor and installed a 320GB cache drive.  Also upgraded to version 6.

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to install a torrent client on UnRaid and use my server since it's up and running 24/7?  I'm guessing I would have to setup some type of Docker which I have no experience with. 

I would, why have 2 computer on 24/7? and Yes go with Docker.

I'm also curious as to what torrent client would be best with Unraid and if doing so are there any security precautions I should be concerned about? 

Deluge or rtorrent/rutorrent. Deluge is pretty similar to utorrent so I would recommend it.

Does this tax the server at all?  i wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask. 

short answer is it shouldn't **unless your seeding hundreds or thousands of torrents. It may also slow down your transfers to your cache drive because it is being used by the torrent program but again it shouldn't be too bad. If you have a SSD for a cache drive you probably won't even notice.

Would I be able to save the files to my cache drive?  Right now the files are saved on my laptop which then is copied to my cache drive, which is then copied to my array. 

I could use any assistance offered.

Yes, create a cache only folder for downloads.

Thanks for the info.  Is their a docker for Deluge? 

For the cache only folder for downloads.  Does that mean I would have a folder just for downloading and set mover to copy the files to my server?  Seems it would be a problem with files that are still downloading.  I guess I would need two folders, one for downloading and one to copy the finished file to another folder on the cache drive to copy to the array.  No?

Yes there is a Docker for Deluge.

Does that mean I would have a folder just for downloading and set mover to copy the files to my server?

No, if you set it to cache only the mover will not EVER move the files. Have you looked into SickRage and CouchPotato? They both can be set to move files to the array after downloads have been finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having problems with mine. Sometimes when downloading it just stops and I see an error

Tracker: [Failure reason \"Please redownload the torrent. PID system is active and pid was not found in the torrent\"]

I don't get this when using my laptop and uTorrent.  If I download the same torrent and download via my laptop, it downloads fine.  Just can't seem to figure out why this happens.  It doesn't happen all the time though.