Upgrade to v6.0.1 from v5.0.6 failed - Syslinux hangs at boot

I'm having a problem with syslinux hanging at boot when upgrading from v5.0.6 to v6.0.1.  Originally I tried the plugin update, but that failed so I used the manual process, which also failed (Some discussion of that here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41061.msg389017#msg389017 ).  I have full backups of my v5 flash configuration, so I can always go back, but I don't really want to.

I'm on a Supermicro X10SL7-F with a Xeon 1241v3 and 16GB ECC DDR, all working under v5.0.6.  Any ideas?

All I see when booting to the flash disk is this:

SYSLINUX 3.72 2008-09-25 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
_

With a blinking cursor.

I believe this is the same question as in the other topic.

Your USB stick is not bootable, take it out and put it in your PC. Copy "make_bootable" to your stick (if not already present) and run it as administrator.

That doesn't appear to be the case.  As mentioned in the other post, I have run make_bootable_mac, and it did complete successfully.  The computer then seems to boot to the drive successfully (Syslinux does start successfully, as that prompt notes; I have no other syslinux drives in my system).  From there, though, unRAID doesn't load.

I'm going to try a couple other things, like rebuilding on a Windows machine and running make_bootable from Windows, but if anyone has any ideas why Syslinux would load but never start unRaid, I'd be glad to hear them.

I'll see if I can identify if it's a Mac/Windows make_bootable issue or not.

Ok.  Little update here.  I reformatted under Windows and ran make_bootable.bat.  unRAID booted fine.

Reformatted in Windows, but then copied over the files and ran make_bootable_mac under Mac OS.  unRAID hung just like before.  I don't know if there's something wrong with my system, or what, but I can't get unRAID to book on a flash drive I make bootable under Mac OS.  Strange, but might just be something with my machine?  Might keep an eye on the forum to see if others are affected.

Right, trying to remember the history, but I believe there was a point where we had to update syslinux to a newer version - can't remember exactly why, think it had to do maybe with image size... anyway - it's possible if your usb flash was formatted "a long time ago" that the syslinux version is old.  In this case you would need to update the old fashioned way:

1. Plug flash into PC/Mac

2. Make complete backup

3. Follow directions in 'readme.txt' file for creating a new bootable USB flash.  But before ejecting, do these additional steps:

4. Copy files in 'config' directory from your backup to the flash, overwriting same-named files on the flash.  Do not copy  the 'plugins' or 'extra' or 'packages' directories.

5. If your reg key was in the root of the flash, copy it to the 'config' directory instead.

6. Now eject flash and boot server into unRaid-6.

My flash was definitely quite old and hasn't been formatted since around the time 3TB drive support was added (early v4 betas?).  It is working again after following the "old fashioned" directions to start from scratch on Windows.  I *thought* I followed them correctly on Mac OS (the output of the script had said it completed successfully), but I might have mucked something up.  Although, I didn't reformat when I ran the script under Mac OS because I was trying to keep the drive intact.  When I decided to try Windows, I did a full format.

So the only thing I can say for certain is a format/reinstall from a fresh download of v6.0.1 under Windows worked successfully.

Also, v6 is fantastic.  Thanks for the all hard work!