New Permissions utility

So I started using unraid around 5.0-rc10/11, thus I always believed that I did NOT need to run the script since that was for pre 5.0-rc9... now about to try upgrading to 6.0 and I've been told that I have to run it. Looking at my files I see things are written by the user that created them 'zoggy users'.

1) why do i need to run this is everything has been working just fine?

2) wont this script touch every file? thus making apps that use the last modified timestamp not so happy?

3) will this cause any permission/access issues by resetting everything to nobody?

I would also like to know this, especially point #2.

I am 99% sure that running newperms will not change the last update timestamp of the files. Simple enough to run a test. Create a directory on one of your shares, drop to the command line, cd to the directory you created (e.g., cd /mnt/disk1/myshare/test), put a file in there, and then run "newperms ." (that is newperms followed by a space followed by a period). Only the file or files you put in the test directory will be newpermed. And you can confirm that their timestamps didn't change.

So I started using unraid around 5.0-rc10/11, thus I always believed that I did NOT need to run the script since that was for pre 5.0-rc9... now about to try upgrading to 6.0 and I've been told that I have to run it. Looking at my files I see things are written by the user that created them 'zoggy users'.

2) wont this script touch every file? thus making apps that use the last modified timestamp not so happy?

3) will this cause any permission/access issues by resetting everything to nobody?

Sorry, just catching up...  You should not have had to run New Permissions if you had no files from before v5.0-rc9.  May I ask where you were told you needed to run it?

1) no need to run it

2) it only corrects owners and permissions

3) no (you might have issues on files pre 5.0-rc9 if you did NOT run it)

Sorry, just catching up...  You should not have had to run New Permissions if you had no files from before v5.0-rc9.  May I ask where you were told you needed to run it?

1) no need to run it

see: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41061.msg388865#msg388865

1) no need to run it

see: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41061.msg388865#msg388865

If you were running a version of unRAID prior to v5.0-rc9, or have never run it, then you MUST run the New Permissions tool

Rats!  I couldn't find any problem at first, then saw the phrase "or have never run it", and I assume you applied that to yourself.  I clearly mis-wrote that.  I was only thinking of users from versions prior to v5.0-rc9, and whether they had run it or not, they needed to run it again.  But that's not the way it reads, so I'll fix it.  My apologies to you for the confusion.  I think what it should have said was something like the following -

If you have ever run a version of unRAID prior to v5.0-rc9, then you must run the New Permissions tool