Closed (Original LinuxServer support thread)

Just to let you guys know I've been working with Lonix (of BUUX fame) and j0nnymoe on building some containers for the last few weeks. We've got a few containers ready to go and think it's time to unleash them on the world.

All of our containers feature auto-update at startup. We have been added the Community Applications plugin, you might need to hit the 'update applications' button before we show up.

We are a team meaning that the containers will almost always be maintained by someone. We're always open to new contributors, just join on IRC freenode #linuxserver.io.

Container List

As of today our containers are:

Plex - Media server application

quassel-core - Server side component for Quassel IRC

mcmyadmin - Minecraft, mcmyadmin and spigotmc container all-in-one

nzbget - A usenet downloader

smokeping - Tracks your network latency via graphs, useful to catch out your ISP!

sonarr - TV grabber (formerly NZBdrone)

couchpotato - Movie grabber

We've been using these containers for months already but seeing as we recently came back to unRAID we thought it'd be great if they fitted the XML system here. So, now they do. They should be nice and stable.

That's it, enjoy!

EDIT:

What is LinuxServer.io?

Well, it started out life as my personal blog (blog.ktz.me) and then morphed into a community based site with articles about how to do things on a Linux Server aimed at the home user. Since then, lonix, j0nnymoe and I have migrated back to unRAID and converted our existing Docker's to truly platform agnostic whilst supporting unRAID.

Now, we're just a group a chaps who hangout in IRC (@freenode.net #linuxserver.io). We're looking for contributors to various projects including Docker containers, Aesir and authors for posts and content on the main blog itself. We also have our own forums at forum.linuxserver.io if you want to take a peak. The idea is, if we can get a group of people passionate about Docker all pulling in the same direction, amazing things can and will happen. More the merrier!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valid question by Squid.  I'm new to dockers and just learning about them.  I've followed the wiki and it led me to forum posting that then led me to another forum posting stating it is best to install the Community Applications Plugins because it is far easier to install these dockers using that process.  I've done that and my only objective right now is to get Plex Media Server up and running, but I see there are four different copies of it?  Shouldn't there be some kind of governance around these to allow only one?  As of right now I'm not sure which one is the best to install.  I guess I'll just grab one at random and hope for the best.

Just so you know, I'm not dinking ironicbadger here.  His (or hers) may be the best one out of there since it appears it has been updated recently.  I'm just providing a little perspective here from someone who is just trying to get this all up and running and what can be found confusing while doing so.

Valid question by Squid.  I'm new to dockers and just learning about them.  I've followed the wiki and it led me to forum posting that then led me to another forum posting stating it is best to install the Community Applications Plugins because it is far easier to install these dockers using that process.  I've done that and my only objective right now is to get Plex Media Server up and running, but I see there are four different copies of it?  Shouldn't there be some kind of governance around these to allow only one?  As of right now I'm not sure which one is the best to install.  I guess I'll just grab one at random and hope for the best.

Just so you know, I'm not dinking ironicbadger here.  His (or hers) may be the best one out of there since it appears it has been updated recently.  I'm just providing a little perspective here from someone who is just trying to get this all up and running and what can be found confusing while doing so.

The Community Applications plugin gives you a Support link for each docker which will take you to the support thread for that docker. That is probably the best way to learn about specific dockers and other user's experience with them.

The Community Applications plugin gives you a Support link for each docker which will take you to the support thread for that docker. That is probably the best way to learn about specific dockers and other user's experience with them.

I understand, but from the user's perspective it could be confusing.  You could look at this a different way and try to answer, "What is the value of having 4 or more of the same application listed?"  There could be a reason and I just don't know it. 

I understand, but from the user's perspective it could be confusing.  You could look at this a different way and try to answer, "What is the value of having 4 or more of the same application listed?"  There could be a reason and I just don't know it.

Like many things on the internet, nobody is in charge. Only the limetech dockers are officially supported.

Valid questions guys, let me address some of them.

Since this question is going to come up anyways, I might as well get it out of the way.

What makes your Plex, CP, Sonaar and NzbGet different from the others already here?

Essentially, nothing. Docker is just a packaging mechanism so far as we are using it here (it is in reality many other things but we don't care about that detail for the purposes of this discussion). They all feature a nice auto-update on start script though, so that's one thing that might be viewed as a USP.

It's worth noting the genesis of these containers was over a year ago. They are mostly an evolution of one's which Lonix made, before we were aiming at unRAID and before Docker was really that popular. Lonix, to his credit, has taught me much about Docker and is really quite talented at making containers. He is very meticulous about detail and everything should be laid out within the container very precisely. This leads to a tidy, tiny filesystem. Then again, as a user you probably don't care much about that! There is a really great feature which is completely irrelevant to unRAID of easy user mapping for volume shares which has been invaluable when running these Docker's outside of unRAID (which is where they started life).

We do have some unique containers like Smokeping (try that out if you haven't it's pretty cool) and Mcmyadmin. So we're not all about duplicating existing functionality though it seemed churlish to throw away our existing containers just because someone already had listed them in unRAID first (even though Lonix probably made the container on Docker hub first) - Quassel being one such example.

I've done that and my only objective right now is to get Plex Media Server up and running, but I see there are four different copies of it?  Shouldn't there be some kind of governance around these to allow only one?

For me, I like having that choice. What if, some reason, one of the 4 stops working and the maintainer is on holiday? Or, one of the 4 copies takes a few days to update to include a cool new latest feature (our Plex container updates to the latest source within hours always - included PlexPass versions).

Like many things on the internet, nobody is in charge. Only the limetech dockers are officially supported.

Right, and this is a good thing IMHO.

Hello,

A couple of questions about Quassel.

1) Does this container come with support for Blowfish encryption, e.g. compiled with -DWITH_CRYPT=ON as detailed at http://bugs.quassel-irc.org/projects/quassel-irc/wiki/Blowfish_Encryption_Manual ?

2) Would you consider quassel-webserver either integrated into the existing Quassel container, or as a separate one for unraid? https://github.com/magne4000/quassel-webserver

Thanks

Hi,

I just tested out the nzbget container because I love the idea of setting your own container owners, but it does not seem to work correctly...

When tested, the download folder and the .conf file are owned by user 911, group 8378....which I think is abc:abc...

On the docker file:

#Adduser

RUN useradd -u 911 -U -s /bin/false abc

RUN usermod -G users abc

Also on github there is scripting under services:

chown abc:abc /config/nzbget.conf

mkdir -p /downloads/dst

chown -R abc:abc /downloads

Shouldn't this be variable $PUID & $PGID, to have the permissions set correctly using the docker environment variables?

Just wondering because I would like to try out your dockers...

Thanks!

Hi,

I just tested out the nzbget container because I love the idea of setting your own container owners, but it does not seem to work correctly...

When tested, the download folder and the .conf file are owned by user 911, group 8378....which I think is abc:abc...

On the docker file:

#Adduser

RUN useradd -u 911 -U -s /bin/false abc

RUN usermod -G users abc

Also on github there is scripting under services:

chown abc:abc /config/nzbget.conf

mkdir -p /downloads/dst

chown -R abc:abc /downloads

Shouldn't this be variable $PUID & $PGID, to have the permissions set correctly using the docker environment variables?

Just wondering because I would like to try out your dockers...

Thanks!

Are you running this via the built inn xml ? from comminty apps ?

How do you change the admin password for your McMyAdmin docker?  you have to set it from the run command with the -setpass variable.  Changing it from inside admin does not work

I Just checked 2 of my installations, and i had no problem changeing the password, from whitin the webui. Can you post the logs from when you try to change the password. What is your experience when trying to change the password ? Do you get any error messages ?

i always get " password is incorrect " when i try to change it.  Let me reinstall the docker and grab the logs

Edit:  Nevermind :)  no idea what happened but on reinstall i have no problem changing the password

Glad it worked out :)

Sounds like you forgot to set the value of pgid and puid? Eg "-e puid=99"

Hi lonix,

Thanks for getting back to me...

I have correctly entered the env. variables -e puid=99 and -e pgid=100...I am not using the Unraid xml template...I am using this docker on a Debian install...

Thanks!

Hi lonix,

I have correctly entered the env. variables -e puid=99 and -e pgid=100...I am not using the Unraid xml template...I am using this docker on a Debian install...

Thanks!

Could you kindly paste your docker run/create command ?

Hello,

A couple of questions about Quassel.

1) Does this container come with support for Blowfish encryption, e.g. compiled with -DWITH_CRYPT=ON as detailed at http://bugs.quassel-irc.org/projects/quassel-irc/wiki/Blowfish_Encryption_Manual ?

2) Would you consider quassel-webserver either integrated into the existing Quassel container, or as a separate one for unraid? https://github.com/magne4000/quassel-webserver

Thanks

I Pushed a new version of this image earlyer today, now the question to both of those questions is YES

Hi lonix,

Thanks!

Here it is:

docker run -d --name="nzbget-test" --restart="always" --net="host" -v "/home/docker/config/testing/":/config -v "/home/docker/volumes/downloads":/downloads -e PUID=99 -e PGID=100 linuxserver/nzbget

I have other containers that use the set user environment variables, like the one's that hurricane has made, and the ownership is correct...

I might be wrong, but I think the way the scripts are set up, they do not pull in the variables for setting the puid & guid...

Thanks for your help.

Hi lonix,

Thanks!

Here it is:

docker run -d --name="nzbget-test" --restart="always" --net="host" -v "/home/docker/config/testing/":/config -v "/home/docker/volumes/downloads":/downloads -e PUID=99 -e PGID=100 linuxserver/nzbget

I have other containers that use the set user environment variables, like the one's that hurricane has made, and the ownership is correct...

I might be wrong, but I think the way the scripts are set up, they do not pull in the variables for setting the puid & guid...

Thanks for your help.

if you're running docker on a debian installation, then shouldn't the puid and pgid values be different ?