unRAID GUI features I would like to see implemented.

I would like to see the following features implemented in the GUI (I am on 6.0.0 so if any have been implemented already point me to it and I will upgrade sooner).

[*]myMain feature: display of read and write IO bandwidth.  Biggest items I use unMenu for.

[*]Display the graphic of the free and used space independently in display settings.  I.E. USED space is a graphic but FREE space is text.

[*]User adjustable column sizes on the display.  Would like to have more space for the used space column graphic specifically but would like all columns be adjustable in size and those adjustments savable for future accesses plus reset to unRAID default spacing.

[*]myMain feature: user share (myMain required user to enter this) but would be nice if this info was grabbed automatically.  I.E. in a column on the display: BluRays on Drives 2,3,4,5,6, DVDs on Drive7, PlayLater on Drive1 as an example.

[*]myMain feature: configurable values to display on each tab I.E. device name (SDJ), Manufacturer name (Hitachi), Spin-up indicator, etc... but user is allowed to select which fields are displayed

[*]myMain feature: ability to change order of the fields displayed.

[*]unMenu/myMain feature: display color coded system log

[*]myMain feature: link to screen that will display all system log entries for the drive column link is on.  I.E last column of drives displayed is a link that when clicked will display a screen showing all system log entries for THAT drive.

[*]Link to a screen that displays a list of currently open files "lsof /dev/md* & lsof /mnt/cache"

[*]Remove drive without loosing other drives' ordering and connection location.  I.E. the GUI saves each drive and its connection then does a "NEW CONFIG" and then reattaches all drives but the drive being removed and starts a parity build.  Seems like that could be accomplished in the GUI without needing code implemented in the unRAID core.

[*]myMain feature: multiple tabs for display of the drives.  Base display is unRAID default and is not configurable if necessary.

Will add more to this post if I find any more I would like.  Until they get implemented I will use myMain in unMenu to provide some/most of them for as long as that works on unRAID.

• 2 weeks later...

At the top bar after TOOLS there is a graphical bar representing space utilization for the array.

There should be additional bars representing space utilization for / and /var/log.

If either of these fill up, the array will have issues, therefore it should be a front end, highly visible, display.

root@unRAIDb:~# df -vH / /var/log

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

-                17G  567M  17G  4% /

tmpfs          135M  2.8M  132M  3% /var/log

I had suggested this in another thread, but I cannot locate it.

Since this one is on WebGui enhancements that could/would enhance/affect all users it seems like a good place to add it.

Thanks for the list.  Can you do this for me please: order that list by priority, with top item "most needed/wanted/highest appeal to most users" and bottom: "meh, would be nice, not sure how universally appealing it might be".  Thanks!  8)

Didn't see the reply until now - sorry.  I have them ordered now.  Some are just ordered for the sake of ordering them as I would think they would have to be implemented at the same time or not at all.

Add Weebo's to the list as well.  Probably should be first.

I'd like to see a modification of  the new config function as follows.

Selecting "NEW CONFIG" repopulates slots with current values but allows reassignment, with the parity slot initially empty. Also, I'd like some warning text beside the parity slot stating something like "ANY DRIVE ASSIGNED TO THIS SLOT WILL BE ERASED" or something similar.

Ideally the system should check to see if there was a valid file system on the drive when you try to assign it to the parity slot, and if it finds a mountable file system it would refuse to use it until you checked the "I AM SURE I WANT TO ERASE THIS DRIVE" button.

Selecting "NEW CONFIG" repopulates slots with current values but allows reassignment, with the parity slot initially empty. Also, I'd like some warning text beside the parity slot stating something like "ANY DRIVE ASSIGNED TO THIS SLOT WILL BE ERASED" or something similar.

Ideally the system should check to see if there was a valid file system on the drive when you try to assign it to the parity slot, and if it finds a mountable file system it would refuse to use it until you checked the "I AM SURE I WANT TO ERASE THIS DRIVE" button.

Additionally how about also identifying the parity drive into what ever slot it was now moved to and ask "I AM SURE I WANT TO ERASE THIS PARITY DRIVE" button.

Accidents continue to happen.

Additionally how about also identifying the parity drive into what ever slot it was now moved to and ask "I AM SURE I WANT TO ERASE THIS PARITY DRIVE" button.

Why does it matter if the old parity drive is overwritten? If you are using the new config function, parity will typically have to be rebuilt anyway, or at least rechecked, and if you are trying to recover from a red balled drive, new config is absolutely the last thing you want to do.

What scenario are you picturing where assigning a parity drive to a data slot will cause data loss?

Good ideas,  I would think the first option fairly easy to do.

As for the second option, there might need to be some kind of test option or functionality that does a mount read-only and if mountable, presents 'are you sure, looks like a mountable filesystem exists'

This could be something like a mount/umount any time a drive is set to be parity.

If the drive was mountable, present some red text. (just tossing ideas out there).

Why does it matter if the old parity drive is overwritten? If you are using the new config function, parity will typically have to be rebuilt anyway, or at least rechecked, and if you are trying to recover from a red balled drive, new config is absolutely the last thing you want to do.

What scenario are you picturing where assigning a parity drive to a data slot will cause data loss?

Maybe prevent this ? And not the first or the last.

" I've done something very silly today.....

I had an old disk in my array that had failed, so I removed it and ran a new config to reduce the array by one drive.  I then added the drives, but put mixed up drive 1 and the parity.

Once the system started I stopped the parity synch within seconds, but my data cannot be reached."

Maybe the wrong place to post this but a Complete, Easy method of Backup would be a great addition to the GUI. You can spend hours trying to implement CrashPlan or reading forum posts of Unraid users and still not get it to run or after hours of work still not be able to backup your Unraid harddrives.

I had an old disk in my array that had failed, so I removed it and ran a new config to reduce the array by one drive.  I then added the drives, but put mixed up drive 1 and the parity.

Once the system started I stopped the parity synch within seconds, but my data cannot be reached."

Maybe the wrong place to post this but a Complete, Easy method of Backup would be a great addition to the GUI. You can spend hours trying to implement CrashPlan or reading forum posts of Unraid users and still not get it to run or after hours of work still not be able to backup your Unraid harddrives.

While the scenario is common in response to the question, the backup context is off topic and would best be served as it's own topic. There are various solutions, rsync to a secondary server being one.  Let's keep this topic to front end gui based subject matter.  The backup topic is much larger and needs it's own thread or feature request.  I invite you to start one.

I would like to see the following features implemented in the GUI (I am on 6.0.0 so if any have been implemented already point me to it and I will upgrade sooner).

[*]User adjustable column sizes on the display.  Would like to have more space for the used space column graphic specifically but would like all columns be adjustable in size and those adjustments savable for future accesses plus reset to unRAID default spacing.

[*]myMain feature: configurable values to display on each tab I.E. device name (SDJ), Manufacturer name (Hitachi), Spin-up indicator, etc... but user is allowed to select which fields are displayed

[*]myMain feature: ability to change order of the fields displayed.

[*]unMenu/myMain feature: display color coded system log

[*]myMain feature: link to screen that will display all system log entries for the drive column link is on.  I.E last column of drives displayed is a link that when clicked will display a screen showing all system log entries for THAT drive.

These would all get my vote. I think in addition to being able to resize/rearrange the columns it would also be nice to be able to configure which columns are displayed.

The parity drive in the data slot wasn't the issue, because it didn't get written to. The data drive in the parity slot was overwritten. My suggestion of checking the assigned parity drive for a mountable file system would have caught that.

The parity drive in the data slot wasn't the issue, because it didn't get written to. The data drive in the parity slot was overwritten. My suggestion of checking the assigned parity drive for a mountable file system would have caught that.

No it wouldnt.

Scenario: 1 data drive, 1 parity drive.

In that situation the pariry drive will be a mirror of the data drive and have a valid mountable filesystem.

Other scenarios are also likely to happen where the parity drive could have what appears to be a mountable filesystem even though it only stores parity.

• 2 weeks later...

Although it's very unlikely that the parity drive will have a mountable file system EXCEPT in the unique case of a 2-drive system (where parity is a mirror of the other drive), it IS possible.

Retaining the previous assignments when a New Config is done (or at least optionally doing so -- i.e. the user could be asked "Retain previous drive assignments?")  would ensure the correct drive is assigned as parity (unless the user changes that assignment intentionally).