[support] MakeMKV-RDP container Deprecated

MakeMKV-RDP Container

Description

MakeMKV is a tool for ripping Blu-ray and DVDs. www.makemkv.com

This container is based on Hurricanes dockergui container with both RDP and WEB interface support.

Configuration

Ports

Fill in the rdp and WEB interface ports you want in the Port section of the template. Remember to NOT change the containerport!

Resolution

You can change the resolution in the Environment section to whatever you want.

Volume mapping

/config is the folder where MakeMKV saves it's settings. Where you save this on unRaid is up to you, but it should be on a cache only share.

/UnRaid is where you map the folder you want to save you MKVs.

Remember to change to the /unRaid folder in the settings of MakeMKV as the default location of saving MKVs. If you forget this you will fill up your docker.img!

Adding a DVD/BD-ROM

Because MakeMKV changed how drives are detected, you need to figure out which device nodes is your DVD/BD-ROM. Use the below command and find  your DVD/BD-ROM.

lsscsi -g

The output will look like this:

root@unXeon:~# lsscsi -g
[0:0:0:0]    disk    SanDisk  Cruzer Fit       1.27  /dev/sda   /dev/sg0
[2:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      Samsung SSD 850  1B6Q  /dev/sdb   /dev/sg1
[3:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      OCZ-TRION100     11.2  /dev/sdc   /dev/sg2
[5:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  ASUS     BW-16D1HT        3.01  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg3
[6:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      TOSHIBA HDWD130  ACF0  /dev/sdd   /dev/sg4
[7:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  ATAPI    iHOS104          WL0G  /dev/sr1   /dev/sg5
root@unXeon:~#

After finding your device, labeled cd/dvd in the second column, add the below to the extra parameters field. You need both the /dev/sg* and /dev/sr*. Substitute the * with the actual number of your drive from the above command.

--device=/dev/sg* --device=/dev/sr*

Adding the container

If you want to use this container you have to add the text below to the template repositories box on the Docker page or search for the container in Community Applications.

https://github.com/tobbenb/docker-containers/tree/templates

Adding the registration key

If you can not paste the registration key in MakeMKV, you have to add it to the settings.conf file in the config folder of the appdata folder.

Add the text below at the end of the file and paste the registration key inside the " ".

app_Key = ""

Now save the file and restart the container by clicking the MakeMKV-RDP icon and choosing restart. You should now have a working MakeMKV without limitations.

The latest key for MakeMKV can be found at this address http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Edited by saarg
  • Like 1

Changelog

- Updated to version 1.9.9.

- Updated to version 1.9.8.

- Changed from package to compiling MakeMKV. Also added ffmpeg 2.8 so MakeMKV supports Dolby Atmos.

- Updated to version 1.9.7.

- Fixed permissions on written files. Edit: Not fixed after all. Seems MakeMKV only wants to write files with 644 permission.

- Initial Release

24a.07.2015

- Changed the nobody user back to primary group "users".

does the linux version have the pesky timeout on the beta version like the mac os x version does ?

Timeout? I have no clue what you are talking about...

Maybe he is talking about this from there main page.

All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA ?

does the linux version have the pesky timeout on the beta version like the mac os x version does ?

All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA ?

He might indeed mean trial period :)

Do you mean that you have to change the registration key every now and then sparkly?

The files created seems to have the cdrom group instead of users after I did some stuff to get the right permissions so users doesn't have to change permissions in unRaid  ???

I'll try to fix this soon.

This is now fixed in the new version.

Do you mean that you have to change the registration key every now and then sparkly?

yes, in the mac version it's every month or so.

yes, in the mac version it's every month or so.

As far as I know it's the same key. But you can always buy it ;)

My server does not have a CD/DVD/BD-ROM.  Do I need to (or can I) remove the extra parameter?  I mainly use MakeMKV to mainly to remove extra audio tracks and subtitles from existing MKVs.

John

If the container starts, you don't need to remove it, but I guess it will complain that it can't find /dev/sr0. There is absolutely no harm in removing it from the extra parameters if you don't have a optical drive.

If the container starts, you don't need to remove it, but I guess it will complain that it can't find /dev/sr0. There is absolutely no harm in removing it from the extra parameters if you don't have a optical drive.

My container failed to build with the extra parameters in the config.  i removed them, and the build completed.

However, I tried using the program, and after getting it all set up/configured, and started it on extracting an MKV from an iso file, as soon as I confirmed I wanted it to create the directory into which it would save the file, my windows VM crashed, and the mkv file never actually started extracting.  it eventually failed in the makemkv docker also.

Sadly, it seems it's still not quite working right :(

My container failed to build with the extra parameters in the config.  i removed them, and the build completed.

However, I tried using the program, and after getting it all set up/configured, and started it on extracting an MKV from an iso file, as soon as I confirmed I wanted it to create the directory into which it would save the file, my windows VM crashed, and the mkv file never actually started extracting.  it eventually failed in the makemkv docker also.

Sadly, it seems it's still not quite working right :(

How is your setup of the VM and the docker? Volume mappings and such.

I have had no problem using MakeMKV while using my Windows 8.1 VM on my "desktop" unraid. On my server I have a Ubuntu tvheadend VM running at the same time as using MakeMKV also.

I tried to use an ISO as source and no problems here.

Could it be you are running out of memory?

Logs would be nice to see :)

The permission issues I tried to fix is not fixed.

When MakeMKV writes a file it's always written as 644 and nothing I try to do to fix it works. The dockergui base image I use have a umask of 0022 which MakeMKV seems to pick up even though I'm setting umask 000 before starting MakeMKV. It works with the MKVToolNix container, but I don't find  a way to set the global umask to 000.

So if someone knows how to solve it I would be greatful and might have some hair left on my head  ::)

I have had no problem using MakeMKV while using my Windows 8.1 VM on my "desktop" unraid. On my server I have a Ubuntu tvheadend VM running at the same time as using MakeMKV also.

windows VM is running of an SSD outside the array. it has 4 GB (of 8 total) assigned to it.  Dockers image is on disk 1, using 8 of 10GB.

I ended up having to reboot the server to get the Windows VM to restart, so I'm not sure if the logs you want are still available, but if you tell me exactly what logs you want, I'll post them up for you.

What kind of speeds are you guys seeing if you open and MKV and rip it?  My speeds start off OK and then are dropping to ~1X.  It may be because my source and destination are both on parity protected shares and disk I/O is getting crushed.

EDIT:  NM...I just tried a different MKV and it ripped anywhere between 8x and 22x (seems to burst).

windows VM is running of an SSD outside the array. it has 4 GB (of 8 total) assigned to it.  Dockers image is on disk 1, using 8 of 10GB.

I ended up having to reboot the server to get the Windows VM to restart, so I'm not sure if the logs you want are still available, but if you tell me exactly what logs you want, I'll post them up for you.

I was hoping for the lgo of the MakeMKV container and the syslog.

Where is the source file located and the destination file?

Your docker image is on the array with parity and not on a cache drive? I'm not so sure that is a good idea.

But this is just speculations until I can see some logs.

Have you tried the container again and does the same thing happen?

The permission issues I tried to fix is not fixed.

When MakeMKV writes a file it's always written as 644 and nothing I try to do to fix it works. The dockergui base image I use have a umask of 0022 which MakeMKV seems to pick up even though I'm setting umask 000 before starting MakeMKV. It works with the MKVToolNix container, but I don't find  a way to set the global umask to 000.

So if someone knows how to solve it I would be greatful and might have some hair left on my head  ::)

Does the file permission being incorrect cause any issues with encoding or playback?

No problem with playback or encoding. Only problem is that if you want to change the file as another user than root, you will not be allowed.

There is an easy solution to the problem and that is to run the new permission tool and choose the disk you save the MKV files on.

You'll find it under Tools in the unRaid webgui.