Somebody tried installing Transmission on an unRaid server ?

I've been using the Transmission bit torrent client on my Mac for ever so it is a natural choice for me for my unRaid server. I have searched this site and there are no mentions of this bt client here.

Any way, I've read this page (http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/HeadlessUsage) and it seems interesting and it doesn't seem to be too complicated. At least, not on the distros mentioned there. I guess it will be another matter on an unRaid box since it is such a limited version of Slackware.

Also, I was wondering if I'm better off waiting for Tom to launch version 5 and see what's there before I invest my time in trying to make this work ?

I'm not sure if there's a slackbuild for it. If there is, it's not from the official Transmission website. I built mine from their SVN repository. It shouldn't be that difficult to create a slackbuild/unRaid package. The project doesn't list any dependencies, but maybe Slackware13 already had them covered. It was the typical routine: ./configure && make install

As for why transmission, friends who are running it on their NMT/PopcornHour/ReadyNAS have reported great results with very minimal resource impact.

Is there a reason you choose transmission instead of rtorrent?

You bet there are. First, I have been using Transmission on my Mac almost since it came out. I know the interface so there would basically be no learning curve. Second, I was born and raised with a GUI so for me it is a must. I know my way around a terminal window but I'm really more at home with a GUI.

I'm not sure if there's a slackbuild for it. If there is, it's not from the official Transmission website. I built mine from their SVN repository. It shouldn't be that difficult to create a slackbuild/unRaid package. The project doesn't list any dependencies, but maybe Slackware13 already had them covered. It was the typical routine: ./configure && make install

That would be a neat project to tackle. Would you mind trying to help me get this thing rolling ? I'm a total Linux noob but yet, I managed to figure how to run ps3mediaserver on my unRaid server so this old monkey can still learn a few new tricks.

As for why transmission, friends who are running it on their NMT/PopcornHour/ReadyNAS have reported great results with very minimal resource impact.

As far as resources are concerned, that not a problem here. I'm running a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 with 4 GB of RAM and an AMD Athlon X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz CPU so there should be no problems running Transmission on my unRaid Server.

I was able to build a Slackware package, but there are other dependencies.

libidn, libcurl, libssl, etc, etc.

I could try to get it compiled statically.

I did compile ctorrent statically so it could be used as a bootstrap to download unRAID itself.

not sure if this is worth it.

Also, I'm sure this did not compile the gui, is there a way a gui can access it from an ip connection?

root@slacky:/home/rcotrone/src/slackbuilds/transmission/x/usr/bin# ldd transmissioncli 
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0xb7ec5000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb7ebd000)
        libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb7eaa000)
        libcurl.so.4 => /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 (0xb7e70000)
        libidn.so.11 => /usr/lib/libidn.so.11 (0xb7e3f000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7e2b000)
        libssl.so.0 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.0 (0xb7deb000)
        libcrypto.so.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0 (0xb7cad000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7ca9000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7c82000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7c6a000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7b28000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7eeb000)
root@slacky:/home/rcotrone/src/slackbuilds/transmission/x/usr/bin# ls -l
total 1397
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 464200 2009-08-31 20:49 transmission-daemon
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 484184 2009-08-31 20:49 transmission-remote
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 473080 2009-08-31 20:49 transmissioncli
root@slacky:/home/rcotrone/src/slackbuilds/transmission/x/usr/bin# ldd transmission-daemon 
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0xb7ec1000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb7eb9000)
        libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb7ea6000)
        libcurl.so.4 => /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 (0xb7e6c000)
        libidn.so.11 => /usr/lib/libidn.so.11 (0xb7e3b000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7e27000)
        libssl.so.0 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.0 (0xb7de7000)
        libcrypto.so.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0 (0xb7ca9000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7ca5000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7c7e000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7c66000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7b24000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7ee7000)
root@slacky:/home/rcotrone/src/slackbuilds/transmission/x/usr/bin# ldd transmission-remote 
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0xb7f40000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb7f38000)
        libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb7f25000)
        libcurl.so.4 => /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 (0xb7eeb000)
        libidn.so.11 => /usr/lib/libidn.so.11 (0xb7eba000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7ea6000)
        libssl.so.0 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.0 (0xb7e66000)
        libcrypto.so.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0 (0xb7d28000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7d24000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7cfd000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7ce5000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7ba3000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f66000)
root@slacky:/home/rcotrone/src/slackbuilds/transmission/x/usr/bin# ls -l
total 1397
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 464200 2009-08-31 20:49 transmission-daemon
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 484184 2009-08-31 20:49 transmission-remote
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 473080 2009-08-31 20:49 transmissioncli

I was able to build a Slackware package, but there are other dependencies.

libidn, libcurl, libssl, etc, etc.

I could try to get it compiled statically.

I did compile ctorrent statically so it could be used as a bootstrap to download unRAID itself.

not sure if this is worth it.

So if I understand this Linux talk correctly, you could build a stand alone package incorporating all dependencies and that would let people run Transmission right ? That would be cool but except from the easier installation, is it worth the extra effort. If I take PMS for example, it needs to install quite a few dependencies on top of PMS. Once you figure exactly what you need to install, it is only a matter of writing the appropriate commands in the go script and everything works smoothly now. Wouldn't it be simpler to iron out a script and let the computer deal with installation ? Don't get me wrong. For me, the simpler, the better but on the other hand, a little bit of work has never killed anybody right ?

Also, I'm sure this did not compile the gui, is there a way a gui can access it from an ip connection?

Yes. Go there: http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/WebInterface You should find what you're looking for.

Is there a reason you choose transmission instead of rtorrent?

You bet there are. First, I have been using Transmission on my Mac almost since it came out. I know the interface so there would basically be no learning curve. Second, I was born and raised with a GUI so for me it is a must. I know my way around a terminal window but I'm really more at home with a GUI.

Do yourself a favor, and try rtorrent. (comes with BubbaRaid):

-- There's no learning curve to speak of;

-- It is very light on your system;

-- The web interface to it is all the GUI you'll ever need.

---

EDIT:

Now there's a standalone rutorrent package for unRAID:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4900.0

This one doesn't need BubbaRaid, and works with the newer versions of unRAID.

Transmission is pretty good these days but rTorrent was and is the best client. Transmission has a history of making some terrible ratio errors ithat have got alot of people into tricky situations (aka banned from private trackers). Those days are gone now thankfully but rTorrent has a MUCH MUCH better track history, is lighter on your hardware and is the client of choice if your serious about seeding.

It really is easy to use if a bit alien if your from windows land. Its one of those tools it worth setting aside some time and just getting to grips with once and for the next 10 years you will use that knowledge daily.

Do yourself a favor, and try rtorrent. (comes with BubbaRaid):

-- There's no learning curve to speak of;

-- It is very light on your system;

-- The web interface to it is all the GUI you'll ever need.

Yours,

Purko

I guess I'll have to read up on that rtorrent thing. Du you have a link to offer me to start learning about rtorrent ? Not that I want to make excuses but does BubbaRaid still needs to be installed with a PC. In the posts I read here, it seems one has to run a script on a PC. Being a Mac only family, getting a hold of a PC to run things is a bit complicated. And also, I already have PMS running fine on my unRaid server. Will installing BubbaRaid force me to install PMS all over again on BubbaRaid ?

Nothing much to read. Just grab BubbaRaid from here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2505.0

...and you'll be up and running in 5 minutes.

Thanks, I'll start from there.

Not that I want to make excuses but does BubbaRaid still needs to be installed with a PC. In the posts I read here, it seems one has to run a script on a PC. Being a Mac only family, getting a hold of a PC to run things is a bit complicated.

If you don't have a PC, it's no big deal. That "install" is a simple .bat file, and the only thing it does is copy a couple of files from here to there. Just open enable_bubba.bat with a text editor, see what it's doing, and do it yourself.

Fair enough. I'll chack that once I'm ready.

And also, I already have PMS running fine on my unRaid server. Will installing BubbaRaid force me to install PMS all over again on BubbaRaid ?

I'm not sure what you mean by PMS...

I'm sure that I'm not thinking what you are thinking. :)

Definitaly not !!! PMS stands for ps3mediaserver. I've downloaded the files on my flash drive and have written a script that installs everything every time I reboot the computer. Now that I've got it working, I realise that it's not such that big a deal but it would piss me nonetheless to have to reconfigure it all under BubbaRaid. So basically my question is if I customized unRaid and I install BubbaRaid, will BubbaRaid recognize the customization and use it or will I need to start from scratch again.

So basically my question is if I customized unRaid and I install BubbaRaid, will BubbaRaid recognize the customization and use it or will I need to start from scratch again.

Anyone ?

Well, I guess I'll answer my own question myself. It doesn't work. I tried it yesterday.

I installed BubbaRaid on a copy of my current flash drive. The only customization on this flash drive is PMS and unMenu and everuthing works fine. After running the install script on my son's dual boot iMac, I booted from this drive. Sure enough, BubbaRaid runs nicely but there were no signs of PMS...  ??? After looking at the go script, I realized that the part pertaining to PMS wasn't there any more. I put it back but when I tried rebooting, it hanged the computer. So, for now, I'm back to running PMS on my unRaid server and nothing else. Since all I need in BubbaRaid for now is a torrent client, I guess I'll have to start looking again for a solution.

BTW, rtorrent with a GUi is pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind running it instead of Transmission. If someone has already installed rtottent on it's own and is willing to share his/her knowledge with me, I'd really appreciate. If not, I'll put that on hold until the weather gets crappy later on this fall and I'll do my best to keep up with the TV shows in the meantime.

Might want to ask in the BubbaRAID thread about this particular problem of running PS3MS with BubbaRAID.  I have been happy with the stuff in BubbaRAID so I have not tried any of the other programs.

The reason PS3MS did not work first go, was because BubbaRAID does replace the go script that is original with unRAID, so that the ports can be moved around a little bit.

Well prostuff1, I finally got it working. Darn Linux stuff. You forget an ampersand here and there and the whole world goes crashing down...  ;)

Sat with my Linux guru - now I know why it is costing me and arm and a leg to send him to school - and went through the whole thing and within a couple of minutes, this baby was up and running at full power. In currently downloading like crazy while my son is watching a movie on the PS3 !!!

I'm a happy camper now !

Well prostuff1, I finally got it working. Darn Linux stuff. You forget an ampersand here and there and the whole world goes crashing down...  ;)

Sat with my Linux guru - now I know why it is costing me and arm and a leg to send him to school - and went through the whole thing and within a couple of minutes, this baby was up and running at full power. In currently downloading like crazy while my son is watching a movie on the PS3 !!!

I'm a happy camper now !

glad to hear you did get it working!!

You sound exactly like my dad.  He sent me to school for Computer Science (will be finishing here soon) and pokes fun about hoping he spent his money wisely.

Well I'm probably old enough to be your dad too !!!  ;) My oldest son - the one who just started his second year of college studying computer science - turned 18 last spring so you're probably pretty close in age. So keep working hard and make your dad proud. With the baby boomers retiring en masse during the next 10 years or so, there will be plenty of job opportunities for you guys. You'll have plenty of jobs to choose from and employers will be more than willing to provide you with decent work environment. If you play your cards right, you'll be able to enjoy a fruitful career and earn a decent pay check every week. Now I sound like my grand father...  :o

Better quit while I'm ahead !!!  ;D

Well I'm probably old enough to be your dad too !!!  ;) My oldest son - the one who just started his second year of college studying computer science - turned 18 last spring so you're probably pretty close in age. So keep working hard and make your dad proud. With the baby boomers retiring en masse during the next 10 years or so, there will be plenty of job opportunities for you guys. You'll have plenty of jobs to choose from and employers will be more than willing to provide you with decent work environment. If you play your cards right, you'll be able to enjoy a fruitful career and earn a decent pay check every week. Now I sound like my grand father...  :o

Better quit while I'm ahead !!!   ;D

:)  You are correct, I am about 4 years older then your son and will be done with school in 1 quarter... I finish about 2 days after my 23rd birthday.  Luckily, I have already lined up a job once I am done with school.  I have been doing an internship there for the past 2ish months while taking classes and they have already given me the papers for full time employment when I am finished with school; talk about being incredibly lucky.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone made any progress or even tried to get further than the attempts last year? I tried rTorrent, but I just can't get into it. I liken it to preferring SABnzbd over NZBget, better GUI, less geeky and just plain more user friendly.

I'd love to give it a whack, but I just don't have the skills or a test box to build it on.

I have Transmission installed on my server, but I'm running a full Slackware-Current distro with unRAID on top of that.

It's been a long time since I reread through this thread, but at quick glance it looks like it's a matter of adding on a lot of other libraries needed by Transmission.

I tried rTorrent, but I just can't get into it.

Which rTorrent did you try?  Did you try the unRAID package with the web interface for it?

Yeah, that was the one I tested for awhile.

I have Transmission installed on my server, but I'm running a full Slackware-Current distro with unRAID on top of that.

It's been a long time since I reread through this thread, but at quick glance it looks like it's a matter of adding on a lot of other libraries needed by Transmission.

Interesting, so someone is running it. I suppose the question is, how hard it it to rope all those packages into an installpkg .tgz?

• 3 years later...