Went overboard - oops. Xeon E5-2620v3 unRAID server in 4U rackmount

Initially wanted a simple Plex server, but it sort of branched into an all-in-one. Here's my reddit tutorial/post and gallery.

Currently at 13 TB.

Screens:

d9pvQAT.png

ovEfS0s.png

47vvhrM.png

n9yBK8v.png

Anyway, here's my build specs:

Main parts:

• Norco RPC-4220 (April 2015 Edition)
  • SuperMicro ATX X10SRL-F-O
  • Crucial 4GB DDR4 CT4G4RFS8213 (16 GB total)
  • Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 Haswell 2.4GHz
  • LG Slim CT40N
  • Assorted (HGST Deskstar NAS and WD RED)
  • unRAID Pro 6.1.2
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt Gen2

Cables:

• Monoprice 1m Mini SAS SFF-8087 (108189)
  • SATA to SFF-8087 Reversebreakout cable (CA-SFF8087)
  • StarTech Slimline SATA (SLSATAADAP6)
  • SuperMicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Fans:

• Noctua NF-R8 PWM
  • Noctua NF-P12 PWM
  • Noctua NF-B9 PWM

Additional:

• SuperMicro SNK-P0050AP4 (fan replaced, see above)
  • Norco R4-15U
  • SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB
  • TP-LINK TL-SG1024
  • EVGA GeForce GT 720 1GB
  • 120mm fan wall bracket (iPCDirect)
  • Norco SA-5696
  • CyberPower CPS-1215RMS
  • StarTech 2U CABSHELFV
  • Amazon FireTV Box

g0n8Fp9.png

Pics:

waM7zUI.png

42opJCS.png

Hh2sBPl.png

Very nice, detailed write up!

Though, why compress your blu-rays with all that space? And so much room to grow!

Also, do your pictures not show your HDD controller installed?

Thanks!

Eh, I dunno - I just do. Part of it has to do with I do a lot of syncing the content to other devices so it saves me time prior to needing to dump it all. I haven't found the quality degradation noticeable, so I'm ok with it.

And yes, good eye. The pics are from the initial build, added the controller a few weeks later. I should get some updated photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice setup! I love that half-rack on rollers!

Tell us more about that half-rack on rollers!

Sweet Setup!!!

The half-rack is a Norco R4-15U. I wanted something that wasn't too big (the whole thing sits in a closet) but could roll out for when I want to tinker. It's built like a tank. A bunch of reviews online said it wouldn't accept a lot of standard-sized components, but so far I haven't experienced this.

However, there is some funniness with the rail system. Norco uses weird rails and I couldn't get them working on here so I bought a shelf to hold the whole 4U unit.

So right now it's got the 4U server held by a shelf, a cantilevered shelf for the cable modem and wireless router, and then there's a power center and 24-port switch strapped to the back.

Attached some pics, sorry for the potato. It looks messy-ish but it's actually pretty good.

2015-09-28-10_06.jpg.83a9db1de229241d57e573aed2fc0876.jpg

2015-09-28-10_062.jpg.281a3c18bf9642b7d0ca908a46e0f80c.jpg

Very nice looking setup => that Norco half-rack is slick [and very affordable -- only $160 at Newegg] ... too bad it required a few "mods" to use, but sounds like it was pretty simple to just add the shelves.

I'd definitely buy it again in a heartbeat. Norco also sells the shelves necessary. Part of this could all be my noobishness - just got such varied complaints from reviewers I figured I'd go the safe route and not fuss with rails.

I used the following rack from newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111239

and also the the Norco rails that work perfect - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997301

I was even able to get 4 heavy duty wheel mount from the hardware store and the whole unit sits on wheels.  2 straight and 2 spin - I can wheel it where ever I need to work on it.  The rails also let me pull the 4220 case completely out to get to the back of it.  I do set the front on a heavy box I have so it dont tip forware on it.

It holds my pull out monitor/keyboard unit when needed

has a shelf for cable modem and other small items

48 port gig smart switch

2 16 port patch panels

1u pfsense router unit

and 2u left for a 2u unit I am building - not sure what I am gonna do it it yet, but had the case/parts so assembling it

Myk

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice set up - not terribly dissimilar from what I did. The irony is the rails probably would've worked for me - I was just too lazy to ship them back if they didn't based on the reviews. Update us when you build your new random :) I love the just because builds.

I used the following rack from newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111239

and also the the Norco rails that work perfect - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997301

I was even able to get 4 heavy duty wheel mount from the hardware store and the whole unit sits on wheels.  2 straight and 2 spin - I can wheel it where ever I need to work on it.  The rails also let me pull the 4220 case completely out to get to the back of it.  I do set the front on a heavy box I have so it dont tip forware on it.

It holds my pull out monitor/keyboard unit when needed

has a shelf for cable modem and other small items

48 port gig smart switch

2 16 port patch panels

1u pfsense router unit

and 2u left for a 2u unit I am building - not sure what I am gonna do it it yet, but had the case/parts so assembling it

Myk