disk disabled, unable to get smart report, unfamiliar log output

drawde

hello all. i had a disk get disabled, no changes were made to the system recently. i'm not sure if this changed since v6, but i was only familiar with the emask exception errors in the logs. i have none of those but i have some call trace and other errors in my log this time. i've attached a full syslog, but you can probably skip to Oct 16.

i tried to run a smart report on the drive, however it is not working. i'm getting a no such device error. i've downloaded the diagnostics and the smart report is not there either.

also to note.. looking at my records, the drive that was disabled was one of the oldest one in my array, and never had any issues with this one (usually i will take notes and timestamp any times there is an issue, what the issue was, and which drive was affected) so i wouldn't be surprised if this is just a legitimate failure.

syslog.zip

It sounds as if the drive is no longer online as you cannot get a SMART report for it.

This may be a genuine disk fail or a transient error.  Have you tried rebooting the system to see if the drive comes back?  If not it is almost certainly a genuine fail and the drive is going to need to be replaced.  If it does then you should be able to get SMART report which may help decide if the disk is OK or not.

i was holding off on rebooting incase there was something i needed to do before rebooting. after a reboot,

The important thing here is always to get the syslog so that if necessary diagnostic information is available

drive is not found. i have a drive coming in today and will replace it after preclearing.

Note that it is not necessary to pre-clear a disk before doing a rebuild.  A rebuild followed by a non-correcting parity check (to check the rebuild was good) stress tests the drive anyway.

drive was definitely bad. successfully precleared and rebuilt new drive in the same slot and everything was working fine again. after connecting the bad drive in another slot to try to run a few preclears on it, got weird stuff in my logs again and still couldn't get SMART report. i'm gonna try the other drive in a windows machine before trashing it.

thanks!