ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Replacement

kristisdad

My ASRock board needs to be replaced because of power problems I'm having inherent to this board (see: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2jrt1b/psarequest_possible_reoccurring_problem_with_the/).  I will probably RMA it, but really don't trust it anymore.

I am considering using a "Supermicro MBD-C7Z87-O LGA 1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 1600 ATX Motherboard" so I can use my (2) GT720 GPUs and my M1015 sas board and my 4 port usb card.  I don't really want to invest in new memory or a new processor.  I think this should work, any comments?

Will I be able to run dockers and VM's?

Interesting article, I had no idea of the issues with this board, luckily mine works great (as I have the exact same one that has been powered up/down far too many times in way too many ways running 2 VM's, Dockers, etc...) 8)

Anyhow, the Supermicro board you are interested in is still a "consumer grade" board (Z87 chipset) so no guarantee it will properly support Vt-d for hardware passthrough. I have heard reports of users upset with Supermicro for not supporting this on other consumer grade boards, however I am not certain with this one. If the manual lists support for VT-d (not just VT-x) then you should be good for the motherboard. It only supports non-ECC memory, so no worries there for using your old memory.

(edit: I now see it in your sig, you're good)You didn't list what CPU you will be using, so I can't say that you will be able to passthrough those cards, but assuming you did previously on your Extreme4, then yes given the above details mentioned you should be fine.

Archived