New Build - Red Hi-Lighted Lines on the Initial Memory Test

I've just put together my server, booted from my USB Flash drive and ran the Memory Test application.

Its done about 10 passes and it has about 8 lines , in the lower half of the screen, that are hi-lighted in red.

Usually RED=BAD.

Count: 5

Pass: 4

Failing Address: 0005fa60448 - 1530MB

Count: 5379

Above the red part, I do see it says Pass 4, Errors 5376

What I don't know is if the test checked something that it didn't need to and came back with the red lines.

How do I interpret the memory test results?  Should I be worried?  :)

Thanks!

Did what you said, ran the one failed test again and it passed.  I will run the full test over night as I not able to access right now as its running pre-clear ( at least I don't think i can access it )  :)

30 questions down, 100 to go!

Too bad I am in my 30's as my brain just isn't as spongy as it was in my 20's.  Takes a bit more work to learn something completely new to me  :)

Thanks!

Too bad I am in my 30's as my brain just isn't as spongy as it was in my 20's.   Takes a bit more work to learn something completely new to me  :)

Malarchy!!

Depends on what you feed your brain, how you sleep and what goes on in your life.

I absorb things the same if not faster then when I was younger.

Meditation helps. I used allot of binaural beats and hemisync which seems to help.

I completed the 1 pass burn-in on my hard drives so i went back to the memory test.

I installed running memtest v4.00

I appear to be getting the same errors again.

9 errors in total.

Should I be concerned or is ram not 100% perfect?    If you think it needs to be replaced, its OCZ RAM and it comes with lifetime warranty I think.  I've actually already RMA'ed this RAM once ( for other reasons that wasn't likely the ram's fault ).

I just re-running the test one 1 stick in ( 1GB ) instead of the ( 2GB ).

Well that just sucks! :)

I guess I should contact OCZ and see what they suggest/offer.

Make sure you have the memory voltage, timing, and clock speed in the BIOS set correctly for your specific memory strips.  Better memory almost always needs other than the default settings.  Some BIOS try to set these values automatically, some get it right, many do not and you will need to set the values explicitly.

OK, that's made me look at something.

The sticker on my ram says 4-4-4 @2.1v

It should be 800Mhz Ram - DDR2

MemTest shows:

Settings: RAM : 200 mhz  (DDR400 ) / CAS  : 5-5-5-15 / DDR2

So that might be a problem.

An odd test result:

I've placed each stick of ram in, one at a time, in each memory slot.  I've run the memtest each time and had no errors.  It seems that it only happens when both sticks are installed.  I've removed and re-seated them before this test, so I don't think that is the issue.

------

I'm in the bios ( Award ) looking to see where I can change things.  Unrelated, I see "HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability" Disabled.  Should that be "Enabled"?

I'm not sure where you can set Voltage/CAS ( if you even can ).  The only setting I found related to RAM was in M.I.T. section.  The item is called "DDR2 Voltage Control" and my options are Normal(defaul), +0.1v, +0.2v, +0.3v .

For those familiar with the Award BIOS.. suggetions?

OK, that's made me look at something.

The sticker on my ram says 4-4-4 @2.1v

It should be 800Mhz Ram - DDR2

MemTest shows:

Settings: RAM : 200 mhz  (DDR400 ) / CAS  : 5-5-5-15 / DDR2

So that might be a problem.

Yes, it looks like you are not set correctly for your memory... (or you have memory that is wrong for that motherboard)

An odd test result:

I've placed each stick of ram in, one at a time, in each memory slot.   I've run the memtest each time and had no errors.   It seems that it only happens when both sticks are installed.   I've removed and re-seated them before this test, so I don't think that is the issue.

Probably tries to run in a different timing when both are installed.

I'm in the bios ( Award ) looking to see where I can change things.   Unrelated, I see "HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability" Disabled.  Should that be "Enabled"?

Yes, SMART should be enabled, but that has nothing to do with your memory voltage, clock speed, and timings.

I'm not sure where you can set Voltage/CAS ( if you even can ).  The only setting I found related to RAM was in M.I.T. section.  The item is called "DDR2 Voltage Control" and my options are Normal(defaul), +0.1v, +0.2v, +0.3v .

So, what is the "default" voltage?  If 1.8volts, and your memory needs 2.1, then I'd try the +0.3 setting.

Some BIOS have a hidden set of advanced options, usually Control-F2 or something like it will make them appear.  You'll need to google a bit to see what your BIOS make available.  Or buy memory thast matches the specs of your motherboard.

For those familiar with the Award BIOS.. suggetions?

Good luck.. I can't help you there... I don't have a similar BIOS.

Joe L.

By Viewing "PC Health" it shows my ram voltage is set to 1.8v , however it says right on the RAM 2.1v.  I've adjusted the setting by using that +0.3v to take it up to 2.1v.

It only took 3 minutes for the memtest to fail again.   Always on test#5 near the end of it.

I'm going to have to wait for anyone else using the Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard to see if they have some idea.

In the meantime, i'm going to see if google is my friend.

EDIT:  I'm not sure how complete the list of compatible RAM is on GIGABYTE's website, but here is the list:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-ma74gm-s2_4.0.pdf

The model of Ram i have doesn't appear on it, yet some really cheap/crappy Kingston ram does.

If it wasn't for that one little memtest error ( well 8 errors in a row off test#5 )!  Maybe I just need to get more new RAM that is on the list.

Does it not seem odd that is works fine, by itself, but not when it is paired up?

The memtest is 100% reliable.. I can't blame it.. can I  :)

No, When you do double channel interlaved setup with RAM it taxes the ram more.

You can try the alternate slots.

I would not take a chance with my data and ram that is questionable.

When you have a server which is supposed to have high uptime and use non ecc memory, you run the risk of bad ram scrambling data structures which could scramble your hard drive.

I only have 2 slots for RAM, so not much swapping I can do.

The RAM isn't listed on the Motherboard compatibility list, but... as mentioned, each stick on its own works fine.  I suspect OCZ will tell me "nothing is wrong with it, its just not compatible with your motherboard".

I looked for some of the ram on the list ( http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-ma74gm-s2_4.0.pdf ) at some Canadian online retailers .

I found some of the Kingston ram, but honestly.. it looks cheap.  My OCZ at least looks better ( heatsinc right on the ram ).

Im just waiting to hear from OCZ, however for now I am running on 1GB of ram as I am just running another cycle of the burn-in on the drives.

The RAM isn't listed on the Motherboard compatibility list, but... as mentioned, each stick on its own works fine.  I suspect OCZ will tell me "nothing is wrong with it, its just not compatible with your motherboard".

they might just do that..

I found some of the Kingston ram, but honestly.. it looks cheap.  My OCZ at least looks better ( heatsinc right on the ram ).

The test is revealing something you can't see. It might look good but its not at least not with your setup.

Im just waiting to hear from OCZ, however for now I am running on 1GB of ram as I am just running another cycle of the burn-in on the drives.

Be prepared to debate, I recently had to prove to them their memory was bad.

Be prepared to debate, I recently had to prove to them their memory was bad.

I'm not sure I am prepared for that battle as aside from the output from memtest, that's all I have to go on.  I think I am going to lose the argument on the grounds the ram isn't listed as compatible with the motherboard.    Although, last time I RMA'ed Ram with them, they were very good about it.

I just had a thought.  I have 2 sticks, of the exact same RAM in my main PC.  I can try them inside the server.  If I get the same results, then its likely a compatibility issue.  If it passes, then I can sorta conclude its something specific to those sticks.

I'm going to test that out tonight ( hopefully ) as I have to wait for the burn-in cycle to finish on the hard drives ( I'm 18 hours into a 21 hours cycle ).

I'd stick to bog standard ddr2 pc2 800Mhz, 1.8v ram, non ecc. It might not be sexy but it works well. I personally stick to kingston, crucial or samsung memory.

The sexy fast stuff is great but you potentially get compatibility issues, your best bet is to find the specs, manually set them in the bios. Check there isnt a bios update for the mb. If that doesnt work, get some different ram.

If you want some ram heatsinks, you can buy them to cover up the boring Kingston ram!

Off course you might have a bad motherboard and the ram might be fine...unlikely but possible, especially with errors in 8,16,32 or 64 bit multiples.

The only thing ,related to the RAM, i could see to set was its power level.  As mentioned earlier I selected the +0.3v to take it from 1.8v to 2.1v ( as 2.1v was on the sticker on the ram itself ).

I don't see anywhere to set numbers like 5-5-5 .

This site: http://www.memoryexpress.com/ has a little memory matcher tool ( associated with Kingston Ram ) that supposedly tells me which ram I should get for my motherboard.  Most of them they don't appear to have in stock :(

KVR667D2N5/512  512MB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM Add

KVR667D2N5/1G  1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM Add

KVR667D2N5/2G  2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM Add

KVR667D2N5/4G  4GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM Call 

KVR667D2N5K2/1G  1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) Add

KVR667D2N5K2/2G  2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) Add

KVR667D2N5K2/4G  4GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) Call 

KVR667D2N5K2/8G  8GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) Call 

KVR800D2N6/512  512MB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM Call 

KVR800D2N6/1G  1GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM Call 

KVR800D2N6/2G  2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM Call 

KVR800D2N6/4G  4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM Call 

KVR800D2N6K2/1G  1GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM (Kit of 2) Call 

KVR800D2N6K2/2G  2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM (Kit of 2) Call 

KVR800D2N6K2/4G  4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM (Kit of 2) Call 

KVR800D2N6K2/8G  8GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM (Kit of 2) Call 

If you were adding new RAM to your server, would you get:

2GB or 4GB

and

667Mhz or 800Mhz ( or does it make much, or any, difference for our needs )

The 4GB makes some sense if I am going to do the cache of the directories in RAM.

My motherboard ( GA-MA74GM-S2 ) only has two slots to install the ram in.

If you were adding new RAM to your server, would you get:

2GB or 4GB

and

667Mhz or 800Mhz ( or does it make much, or any, difference for our needs )

The 4GB makes some sense if I am going to do the cache of the directories in RAM.

4GB if I could afford it. It does help with big directories.

667 or 800. I would go with 800 if it were available and the premium between 667  & 800 was not that big.

The difference between 2GB and 4GB will be greater then the difference between 667 & 800mhz.

With the extra 2GB you save some reading of hard drive.

Def 4GB, funds permitting. 800 is likely the same price as 667, performance wise you wont notice any difference.

ctrl f1 lets you see advanced options like memory options, voltage, memory spec (ddr400, ddr 667, etc...)

A lot of modern bioses wont let you set timing, all you can do is set base spes like voltage, frequency and spec. If you have matched these and still see errors, check for a bios update, often bios updates fix memory incompatibility problems.

If you've done this, time to get some different ram, preferably same manufacturer and spec as some known compatible ram, if you cant get a listed compatible item.

modern ddr2 memory has a spd module that allows the bios to see the timing info of the memory, if the bios doesnt interpret or read the data correctly it can cause problems.

Another trick you can try is to set the memory faster, this will loosen the timing settings and sometimes fix the issue. Doing this is not recommended without extreme testing, i'd run 48hr memtest at least. This asumes it will run at the next ddr step. Only for the brave, really a diagnostic measure. For a production server I wouldn't do it.

Rgds

Kevin