Gigabit Routers - which are you using?

spinbot

Just seeing what routers people are using and any good/bad feedback.   I'm looking at replacing my Linksys 100Mbps with the D-LINK DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router.  At $110 CDN, it seems like a decent choice.  I still need wireless for my laptop.

Thanks guys!

Many of us use a non-gigabit wireless router, and add an inexpensive gigabit switch.  They are way less expensive than a wireless router with a built in gigabit switch.

OK, so you just put the router behind the switch, not before it.

In other words, everything plugs into the switch instead of the router?

My work has a Cisco Small Business 5 port Gigabit switch for about $60 CDN.  Half the price compared to the dlink routers.

I believe this is the model:

Cisco SD2005 5-Port Gigabit Switch

Cisco Small Business Unmanaged Switches

That seem like something to use?

I presently have my main PC , my laptop, the Unraid server, Popcorn Hour , PS3 and XBOX 360 , Slingbox and least important, HD-DVD Player :)

I have a 100Mbps switch already and that is more than enough for my Popcorn Hour, 360, PS3 , Slingbox and HD-DVD ( as none of them have gigabit ports ).

No argument from me about the dollars and sense of an inexpensive gigabit switch.

Just want to weigh in on the DIR-655:  I upgraded to that same router from an older Netgear g-router, and it was worth every penny.  The range and the reliability of the wireless connection are outstanding in contrast to the Netgear router that it replaced.  Where I was re-booting the Netgear on a regular basis, the DIR-655 has been up for probably six months and I haven't had to touch it yet.  And, of course I use as a gigabit switch for the unRaid box and desktop without any problems.

agw

Depends on your needs, 5 ports isn't very many. One will be taken for the link to your router, one for your unRAID box, maybe one for you Lapdogs basestation, one for your desktop, one for your streamer? In my experience you can never have enough ports...If you can get an eight port for not much more money and funds allow it, that would be my choice.

This really depends on what equipment you have, that can be hooked up to Gb.

However if you access unRAID primarily via wireless then a Gb switch wont help. 

Wireless n offers faster wireless, but your clients need to be wireless n capable. Having siad that what I found with my wireless n rangebooster was that I got slightly better speed (within bounds of the connection type) and more stable coverage even with 11b and 54g clients. I'll second AGW on the stability, I think I have rebooted mine two or three times in two years (mine is a DIR-635 - non Gb router).

If your primary wireless client is wireless n capable and you only have two or three wired devices the D-Link is an excellent choice. 

smallnetbuilder is an excellent site/resource, highly recomended.

I have a TP-Link 16 port Gb unmanaged rackmount switch, 10 ports in use. It is noisier (fan) than I would ideally like, I keep meaning to replace the fan but so far havn't. Other than that it has been excellent.

OK, so you just put the router behind the switch, not before it.

In other words, everything plugs into the switch instead of the router?

Of course. Who does the opposite? Ever?

If I needed to put a second Ethernet cable on my router, it would be for a special case like a DMZ.

Does this make networking sense:

5 Port Gigabit switch in my den.

Into the Switch would be:

- Wireless Router (with DSL modem into it)

- Desktop PC (which has a gigabit port)

- UnRaid Server (which has a gigabit port)

- Cable into my Livingroom

- XBox360 ( although maybe this can go into the router as its only 100Mbps also )

In my Den I have a 5 port switch that I would plug:

- Cable from my Den with Gigabit speeds

- Popcorn Hour ( only 100Mbps port)

- PS3 ( only 100Mbps port )

- Slingbox ( only 100Mbps port )

- HD-DVD (don't really use anyway)

The Router, that's plugged into Gigabit switch.  Can you plug other 100Mbps devices into it?  Example:  I have ethernet over powerline adapters.  I could hook one into it and then use the other one in my bedroom so i can stream audio off the network.

You've got 7 things to connect wired. The router has 4 ports and that switch has 5 ports. You use 1 port each to connect them leaving 7 ports. So, that switch would work but it leaves you no extra ports for the future. Put some of the 100Mbps devices on the router and the Gige devices on the switch.

I guess you could also leave your 100Mbps switch plugged in to expand the router a few more ports. Personally, I try to run with as few plugged in devices as possible just because it saves complexity and hydro.

Peter

Does this make networking sense:

5 Port Gigabit switch in my den.

Into the Switch would be:

- Wireless Router (with DSL modem into it)

- Desktop PC (which has a gigabit port)

- UnRaid Server (which has a gigabit port)

- Cable into my Livingroom

- XBox360 ( although maybe this can go into the router as its only 100Mbps also )

In my Den I have a 5 port switch that I would plug:

- Cable from my Den with Gigabit speeds

- Popcorn Hour ( only 100Mbps port)

- PS3 ( only 100Mbps port )

- Slingbox ( only 100Mbps port )

- HD-DVD (don't really use anyway)

The Router, that's plugged into Gigabit switch.  Can you plug other 100Mbps devices into it?  Example:  I have ethernet over powerline adapters.  I could hook one into it and then use the other one in my bedroom so i can stream audio off the network.

If I understood you correctly, it looks like this (assuming my crude drawing looks ok on your browser).   All 5 ports on both the living room switch and the Gigabit switch in the den are being used.  You might have spare ports on the wireless router.  If so, you can put your ethernet-over-powerline adapter there.

Your configuration is similar to mine, but I have a cable-modem feeding a wireless router, it then feeds a 8 port Gigabit switch in the basement, it feeds a 4 port 100 Mb/s switch in my home theater,  I think I've only got one spare port at this time in the theater, and one on the wireless router.   My ethernet-over-power adapter is plugged into the home-theater 100Mb/s switch.  I use it to feed a laptop in the Den and to work on the patio outside when the weather is nice.

If you ever need more capacity, you can upgrade either switch to an 8-port version with not too much expense.

Joe L.

[pre]
DSL Modem
       |
       |  <-- 100Mb/s link to DSL Modem.
       |
+-------------------------+
+                         +
+  Wireless Router        +----- You can attach any 100Mb/s devices directly to router if it has spare ports 
+                         +             (Your Ethernet over powerline adapters could connect to the wireless router at 100Mb/s here)
+                         +
+                         +-------+
+-------------------------+       |
                                  |  <-- 100 Mb/s link to Gigabyte switch
                                  |
                  +----------------------------------+
                  +      Den                         +
                  +   Gigabit  switch                +
                  +   5 port                         +-------------Desktop PC
                  +                                  +-------------unRAID server
                  +                                  +-------------Xbox360
                  +                                  +
                  +                                  +---------+
                  +----------------------------------+         |
                                                               |   
                                                               |
                                 +-----------------------------+
                                 |         
                  +        Living Room               +
                  +  100 Mb/s switch                 +-------------Popcorn Hour
                  +         5 port                   +-------------PS3
                  +                                  +-------------Slingbox
                  +                                  +-------------HD-Dvd
[/pre]

You are a patient man Joe to make that drawing, but its exactly what I am planning.  If I need an extra gigabit port, I could move the Xbox over to the wireless router (it has 4 ports).  In the livingroom I can also free up a port as having connectivity to the HD-DVD player isn't important at all.  I figure in the next year or so I will replace my TV and its possible it may have an Ethernet port in it.

I live in a small house with my cat ( no, I haven't killed anyone and my mom doesn't live with me )  :)  I use the wireless primarily from 30' from the router and its main function is for work ( VPN into Citrix server ).    If I was to get the Dlink router, it would be for the gigabit ports as the 802.11n won't benefit me ( the work laptop is only G also )

I can vouch for the Dlink devices also.  I previously had a netgear device that utterly sucked but I have not had a problem with the Dlink.  One of the other nice things about the Dlink is that offers a free (at least it was for me when I signed up) Dynamic DNS service with there routers (you can read more about it here).  I have it set up so that I can get back into my server from work or my parents house.

When the fund permit I will be upgrading to something in the Dlink line that has Gb ports on it.  I plug in quite a few things but I would prefer not to have a separate rotuer and switch in my setup, for simplicities sake.

Without knowing where the physical boundaries are, I would also consider moving the living room switch to the router switch, this frees up a Gb port. The front room switch is 100 MB so no performance hit.

Again I'd consider a 8 port Gb switch for the den (always usefull to have a couple of empty switch ports for testing).   

I just bought this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082

I'll be hooking it up tonight so I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm glad that you are about 1-2 days ahead of me as you keep adding threads with the exact same questions that I'm having with my new UnRaid box!  Thankfully, you are getting more responses!  My setup is as follows:

Living Room:

Slingbox (Original)

NMT PCH-A110

Office:

UnRAID box

Desktop machine

Cable Modem

10/100 Wireless Router

For now, I'm going to leave the Slingbox disconnected so I don't need a switch in the living room.  I'll run the A-110 into the cable modem and plug everything else into the 8 port Gig switch.  Based on the info in the NMT forums, sounds like streaming over a Gigabit network is not working for a lot of people.  I just wasn't sure if plugging the A-110 directly into the modem would achieve the same result as a 10/100 switch.  I also wasn't sure about the modem assigning all of the IP addresses or if I should try to go to fixed ip addresses on all networked items?

8 port Cisco ( aka new name Linksys is using ) is $80 Canadian.  That's pretty reasonable.

Cisco SD2008 8-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=570016&affixedcode=WW

CA570016_1_enl.jpg

I guess I should change my name to "alphaman" ( get it.. betaman is one step behind me ) .. ya, I know, my act needs some work still!   ;)

betaman and I see to have similar setups ( Slingbox, PCH A-110 ).

I'm sold on the 8 port switch ( Newegg.ca doesn't have the one betaman listed ).   The Un-Raid server is being built with expansion in mind, so having 3 extra ports on the network isn't a bad idea.

betaman... my next question is going to be on "shares" and what works best with the Popcorn hour, however their is another thread on the PCH, so follow me over there :)

I know the A-110 still has its limitation in mounting one drive, so I *think* drive shares will get around that ( as it will see everything as one big virtual drive ).

The other item I will be researching very soon are UPS's.   I'm guessing losing power suddenly is not good for the array.    We are at a good point to bounce idea's off each other and then have Joe, Lionel and Kaygee set us straight  Smiley

For fixed devices like servers, media players, network devices I would assign manual IP addresses. I'd recommend using blocks, so say servers x.x.x.10-19, media devices x.x.x.20-29, routers x.x.x.30-39, DHCP x.x.x.50-100. You can usually fix already assigned DHCP addresses if you dont want to re-assign your existing devices. This is almost as good.

I personally dont like using DSL routers (plugged into copper) for DHCP, lightning tends to fry them or ISPs flash update them and your network is down. Wireless routers like alphamans should be fine (take a backup of the config and store it away). 

Desktops (without shares), laptops, PDAs can be DHCP. If they have shares I'd have them DHCP locked/fixed like a server.

My egreat works great (sorry bad jokes are catching) on a simple user share spanning several disks. If the disk is spun down, I sometimes have to press play twice, once to wake the disk, once to play the file. Mine is direct into the Gb switch but some people have reported issues with this, both of you should be fine though as you are hooked into 100mb devices.

Blue Ray will stream over 100Mb, the highest bitrates I've seen in real files is 35Mb/s.

I guess I should change my name to "alphaman" ( get it.. betaman is one step behind me ) .. ya, I know, my act needs some work still! ;)

betaman and I see to have similar setups ( Slingbox, PCH A-110 ).

Pretty funny! :)

betaman... my next question is going to be on "shares" and what works best with the Popcorn hour, however their is another thread on the PCH, so follow me over there :)

I know the A-110 still has its limitation in mounting one drive, so I *think* drive shares will get around that ( as it will see everything as one big virtual drive ).

I think "user shares" is the way to go as it will bypass the multiple mount issue with the A series PCH's. I'm not sure about the best method to transfer data to the array though. Still researching...

The other item I will be researching very soon are UPS's. I'm guessing losing power suddenly is not good for the array. We are at a good point to bounce idea's off each other and then have Joe, Lionel and Kaygee set us straight Smiley

I might be able to help you out here! I've got about 5 APC's throughout my house! This is the model that I'm using:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1300LCD

Thank goodness Joe, Lionel and Kaygee have patience for n00bs like us! ;)  I'm wondering if there is a way to power down the array if a power loss is sustained?  Perhaps remotely in case you aren't home?

For fixed devices like servers, media players, network devices I would assign manual IP addresses. I'd recommend using blocks, so say servers x.x.x.10-19, media devices x.x.x.20-29, routers x.x.x.30-39, DHCP x.x.x.50-100. You can usually fix already assigned DHCP addresses if you dont want to re-assign your existing devices. This is almost as good.

I've only successfully managed to assign my desktop a fixed IP address (seemed to help when I was downloading a lot of torrents but who knows). How exactly do I go about assigning my Slingbox and the UnRAID server IP addresses (I assume it's a different process for each)? My wireless router is a Netgear WPN824. Also, do I need to have the Gigabit switch installed BEFORE making these updates or is there no effect?

For assigning fixed IP's to things I reserve an IP address in the router based on the MAC address of the device.  In my router it is referred to as IP Reservations.

As for the UPS question: the ones you are going to have the most luck with are going to be APC brand.  There is a powerdown package with will help to shut down the array cleanly when an extended power outage happens.  The easiest way to get this installed is with the unmenu package that JoeL has created.  You can find it at the Add-on's page of the unRAID wiki.

For assigning fixed IP's to things I reserve an IP address in the router based on the MAC address of the device.  In my router it is referred to as IP Reservations.

As for the UPS question: the ones you are going to have the most luck with are going to be APC brand.  There is a powerdown package with will help to shut down the array cleanly when an extended power outage happens.  The easiest way to get this installed is with the unmenu package that JoeL has created.  You can find it at the Add-on's page of the unRAID wiki.

Thanks for the info!  Is the "power down" package included in unmenu or do you have to install it separately as an add-on to unmenu?  I was a little confused reading about this as I wasn't sure if it was included now or not.  I would check but I just installed by Gigabit switch and seemed to have lost the ability to get into unmenu with the usual tower:8080 http address?!?!  ???

When you get back in check the package manager page should have the powerdown package listed.

No idea what happened...powering down everything and restarting now.

EDIT: Ok, finally got it back after a couple restarts! Anyway, is this what you were talking about:

apcupsd - A daemon for controlling APC UPS devices

Ok, got this message when I installed it:

Installed, but version is different.

Current version='' expected '3.14.3'

Not sure what to do now though! How should I connect the two?  The UPC has a data port but I've never used it.  Now that I think about it, I should probably have two UPC's (1 for each computer since mine are about 800 Watt)??  Should I connect the data port of the UPC to my Gigabit switch?

From syslog:

Sep 30 16:37:40 Tower apcupsd[1930]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in linux-usb.c at line 609 Cannot find UPS device -- For a link to detailed USB trouble shooting information, please see .

Sep 30 16:37:40 Tower apcupsd[1930]: apcupsd error shutdown completed

When you get back in check the package manager page should have the powerdown package listed.

No idea what happened...powering down everything and restarting now.

EDIT:  Ok, finally got it back after a couple restarts!  Anyway, is this what you were talking about:

apcupsd - A daemon for controlling APC UPS devices

Ok, got this message when I installed it:

Installed, but version is different.

Current version='' expected '3.14.3'

Not sure what to do now though!  How should I connect the two?  The UPC has a data port but I've never used it.  Now that I think about it, I should probably have two UPC's (1 for each computer since mine are about 800 Watt)??  Should I connect the data port of the UPC to my Gigabit switch?

From syslog:

Sep 30 16:37:40 Tower apcupsd[1930]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in linux-usb.c at line 609 Cannot find UPS device -- For a link to detailed USB trouble shooting information, please see .

Sep 30 16:37:40 Tower apcupsd[1930]: apcupsd error shutdown completed

All you need to do is plug the USB cabe from the UPS to the unRAID server.  It will do the rest as long as you have the powerdown package installed as well as the apcupsd package installed.  There reallly is very little you need to do, the default uses the smart UPS fetures to cleanly shut down when 5% of battery capacity remains, or when less than 3 minutes run-time remain.

You can also have the second/third/... PC running apc software listening on the LAN for instructions to power itself off.  This might work if the second PC is on a UPS that is "dumb"  (or on a laptop with built-in batteries)  the unRAID server apcupsd program will notify in an extended outage the others on the LAN to shut themselves down to save their batteries from full depletion.

Joe L.

All you need to do is plug the USB cabe from the UPS to the unRAID server. It will do the rest as long as you have the powerdown package installed as well as the apcupsd package installed. There reallly is very little you need to do, the default uses the smart UPS fetures to cleanly shut down when 5% of battery capacity remains, or when less than 3 minutes run-time remain.

You can also have the second/third/... PC running apc software listening on the LAN for instructions to power itself off. This might work if the second PC is on a UPS that is "dumb" (or on a laptop with built-in batteries) the unRAID server apcupsd program will notify in an extended outage the others on the LAN to shut themselves down to save their batteries from full depletion.

Joe L.

Ok, I think I know why I'm confused! Perhaps I don't have the correct kind of APC UPS for this function? See the picture below:

moreimages.cfm?partnum=BR1300LCD&type=Back

Haven't quite mastered posting pics but I assume it has to do with the link not being standard html. Anyway, no USB port on my model. Just Cat 5e type (RJ-45?)

Looks like I need one of these:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP9827

USB to RJ-45 cable